cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching by description in ADT

matt
Active Contributor

Currently, if I'm looking for a Data Element - for example - I open SAP Gui and use the Repository Information System (or search in SE11). There I can search for Data Elements by description, size, type etc.

However, with RAP, there is no SAPGui - so how can I do the same from within ADT?

This is not limited to Data Elements, I often search for classes, methods etc. in the same way.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_gutfleisch
Active Participant

Hi Matthew and Holm,

the answer is two-fold:

As objects of all types have a description one would expect that the search for objects by their description is object type independant. So we could provide the description as common filter criteria. But technically that's not possible, because the descriptions are stored in different tables for different object types.

Other properties like type and length of a data element are object type specific. SE84 provides individual handmade search forms to support corresponding queries. ADT does not provide this, but there is a concept for the property filter that enables also object type specific filtering. Until now this is only implemented for a few object types. For example you can search for Data Definitions (CDS) by their source type.

Regards,
Michael

matt
Active Contributor

Hi Michael

Thanks for the feedback. I'd contend that data being in different tables for different object types does not mean technically not possible. Perhaps quite difficult, but not impossible. I can think of a few different approaches that could be used. For example, limiting search by description to only when you've specified the type.

Maybe the object specific filter will be implemented for a few more object types - like Data Elements, Domains and Tables.

matt
Active Contributor

In May next year, during my R&D fortnight, maybe I'll a create a plug-in for ADT that does the job. Cloud and on-premise. Seems like a fun project

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

michael_gutfleisch
Active Participant

Hi Matthew,

you're right. Of course it is possible either with your proposal or even by combining the different tables in one single CDS view with hopefully acceptable performance. Our thoughts have been revolving around this matter for years.

And yes, I think we will implement some more object type specific properties.

Let's see what the future brings.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When a discussion is started, you may use the button Comment instead of Answer to keep it easy to follow by everyone.

Thank you!

michael_gutfleisch
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,
I would call that bad usability. Of course I wanted to answer the comment. But there is no "Answer" available below the comment. And there is also no "Comment" available below the comment. Instead I have to go up and press the "Comment" below my answer even if I didn't want to comment my answer. That's weird. Do You know where I can complain about this usability issue?

Regards,
Michael

P.S. Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y (Undo, redo) do not work correctly in these input fields here.

holm
Participant

Missing that too!

There are some common filter criteria (see below), but nothing type specific like length, datatype etc. like in se84.

matt
Active Contributor

Yes, I've seen that!