cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to debug apps in MDK versions 6.0 and onwards. (Visual Studio Code & Android Studio)

FranciscoSAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

As of last week my teammates and I have been unable to debug our MDK apps ever since we updated our client to the newer versions (=>6.0).

I've replicated the same configuration, installation, client generation and onboarding process as I've always done for previous versions, and I have also updated Android SDK and SDK tools to version 30 as per required by the newer MDK version.

I repeated these tests for each one of the new versions uploaded: 6.0.0, 6.0.1, and 6.0.3. Unfortunately, the same issue is present across all of them. The debugger is able to attach to the emulator without any issues as per shown in the following image where I am able to see console logs just fine:

But breakpoints are completely ignored even after deploying several times to force a source map update:

I have triple checked my MDK extension settings and my launch.json debug config file, every value seems to be right and configured exactly the same way it was for previous version 5.2.4.

As a side note, another minor issue I noticed with clients generated with MDK version >=6.0 is that the 'rq.udb' offline database files cannot be shared or even copied within the same device, but it works just fine when rolling back to version 5.2 as well.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There is a known issue with Android debugging when using Metadata/Source map from App Update with the new MDK 6.x clients. We are working on a fix, but in the meantime as a workaround you can brand the metadata into your client (instead of using App Update) and debug from there. Assuming you are using an emulator for debugging you can build from VSCode directly to the emulator and then when onboarding do not accept the metadata from App Update. This should allow your debugging to work as expected with the breakpoints until the fix is available.

fjcarrasco
Active Participant
0 Kudos

bill.froelich Is this problem fixed and we can debug as usual ?

Thanks

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Yes, this issue is addressed in the latest VSCode extension version

sk_ramkumar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi bill.froelich,

I am getting the same issue with Source Map problem in my vs code. I can see the traces in the Output, but I can't set the breakpoint.

I even included the metadata in my mdkproject before generating mdk client, and I can see bundle.js and bundle.js.map in my mdk client app folder. I have deployed my app from vs code as well.

Thanks in advance,

Ram

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Please try with the latest and let us know if you are still having an issue