cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade finished, but Shadow Instance still exists.

willi_eimler
Contributor

Dear all,

I upgraded a NW 7.11 PI to NW 7.5. The upgrade was successfull and I got the Success-Screen of SUM (os=LINUX, DB=Oracle 12):

But unfortunately the Shadow Instance is up and running (see instance 06 in the following screenshot), but why. Doesn't the SUM delete the Shadow instance after the upgrade?

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Willi,

I found this behavior while doing SPS update on Solution Manager using SUM version SP17 (I forgot PL).

I just renamed the shadow instance folder and took a clean reboot of system and started original instance. After a day/two after all my validations I removed shadow instance directory.

Regards,

Harish Karra

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

willi_eimler
Contributor

Hi all,

I’m working for pharmaceutical industry and therefore I opened a message in order to get a statement of sap. Yesterday I got the answer (stop shadow instance and remove it) and I started my work.

• 1.I stopped sap and database, but I was not able to stop shadow instance, therefore
  • 2.I rebooted the server.
  • 3.Moved the directory /usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS06 away.
  • 4.Started sap

Thanx for all answers!

Best regards
Willi Eimler

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello Willi

As there is no shadow schema at the DB level, I would stop all the instances running on the host. Move the shadow instance directory and the directory used for SUM to a new file system. Clean up the profile directory from old or unused profiles. Restart the Linux server. Start the Oracle and SAP instances.

Cheers

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

I checked the Schema. The Shadowschame is vanished.

SQL> select distinct owner from dba_tables;
OWNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAPSR3
OUTLN
SYSTEM
DBSNMP
GSMADMIN_INTERNAL
APPQOSSYS
SAPSR3DB
XDB
SYS
9 rows selected.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

great, you are looking at my problem. That are good news 🙂

Yes it is the Shadow Instance in the log SAPupConsole.log I found:

>> 2016/12/20 18:12:43START OF PHASE  PREP_INSTALL/INITSHD
Using instance number '06' for ABAP shadow system.
Generated random password for DBA shadow user.
<<2016/12/20 18:12:44END OF PHASEPREP_INSTALL/INITSHD

and

>>2016/12/22 08:08:38START OF PHASE MAIN_PROFSTART/SUBMOD_INSTNR_CHG/MOD_INSTNR_PRE
Backing up '/usr/sap/XXX/SYS/profile/DEFAULT.PFL' as '/usr/sap/XXX/SUM/abap/sapnames/DEFAULT.PFL.MOD_INSTNR.BCK'.Backing up '/usr/sap/XXX/SYS/profile/XXX_DVEBMGS02_xxxxxxxxx' as '/usr/sap/XXX/SUM/abap/sapnames/XXX_DVEBMGS02_xxxxxxxxx.MOD_INSTNR.BCK'.
Replicating kernel to /usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06/exe... Copied '/usr/sap/XXX/SUM/abap/mem/REGEN.LST' to '/usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06/work/REPLIST'.
<<2016/12/22 08:08:55END OF PHASEMAIN_PROFSTART/SUBMOD_INSTNR_CHG/MOD_INSTNR_PRE

So, it is the Shadow Instance. The Profile /usr/sap/XXX/SYS/profile/XXX_DVEBMGS06_xxxxxxxxx doesn't exists anymore, but the Directory structure /usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06 still exists.

>>2016/12/22 08:42:52START OF PHASEMAIN_SWITCH/SUBMOD_SWITCH_KERNEL/KX_SWITCH
Cleaning up '/usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06/exe' ...
Cleaning up replication source '/usr/sap/XXX/SYS/exe/uc/linuxx86_64' ...
Moving Kernel from '/usr/sap/XXX/SUM/abap/exe' to '/usr/sap/XXX/SYS/exe/uc/linuxx86_64' ...
Replicating kernel to /usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06/exe...
<<2016/12/22 08:43:16END OF PHASEMAIN_SWITCH/SUBMOD_SWITCH_KERNEL/KX_SWITCH 

>>2016/12/22 15:23:16START OF PHASEMAIN_PROFEND/SUBMOD_INSTNR_CLEAN/MOD_INSTNR_CLEAN
Delete temporary instance '/usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06'. 
WARNING: Deletion of temporary instance directory '/usr/sap/XXX/DVEBMGS06' was not successful.
<<2016/12/22 15:23:45END OF PHASEMAIN_PROFEND/SUBMOD_INSTNR_CLEAN/MOD_INSTNR_CLEAN

The upgrade throws only a Warning ????? Checking the logs in /usr/sap/XXX/SUM/abap/log I can't find a reason. The year 2017 starts not as good as I hoped:(

Well now I know SAP doesn't think this situation is worth a error message, but what to do with the Shadow Instance now? Stopping it and remove the directories?

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Are you sure that it is a shadow instance? I can see there are two instances running. One with the instance number 02 and the other is with 06. Both the instances are using the profiles from the standard profile directory /usr/sap/SID/SYS/profile. The shadow instance profiles are present in the SUM upgrade directory. The instance with the number 06 has 2016 which makes me feel that it is running for sometime now. Probably some zombie processes. What was the instance number set for the shadow instance during the configuration phase? In anyway I would check if there is the shadow schema with its objects still present at the DB level.