What's New
Stay informed about the latest in SAP Community. Explore new developments, strategy updates, and program announcements shaping the future of our community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update January 8: The plans for content migration have changed since this post was written. Please refer to the new post for information about which content will be migrated and which will not be migrated: https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/community-content-new-details-about-content-that-will...

=======================================

As we announced earlier this year, we are moving to A New Home in the New Year for the SAP Community. As a professional community that has been running for 20 years, we have accumulated hundreds of thousands of blogs and millions of questions and answers. After analyzing the user-generated content and conducting numerous technical migration tests, we have decided that this migration is the best time to remove some content, to ensure a positive impact on the site’s overall performance.

When identifying which content to leave behind during the migration, we first tackled the question of publication date. We are not removing any content that was posted in 2022 or 2023; all of that content will migrate to the new platform.

For content posted prior to 2022, we focused on three main criteria: number of views, accepted answers, and whether the post was related to a previous migration or community platform. Below is a more detailed look at the guidelines:

Blog posts:

• If the post had 6 views or fewer in 2022, it will not be migrated.
  • If the post covered anything related to previous platforms/migrations – including feedback about improvements and bug reports – it will not be migrated.

Questions:

• If the question had zero answers, and it had 3 views or fewer in 2022, it will not be migrated.
  • If the question had an answer, but that answer was not accepted, and the question had zero views in 2022, it will not be migrated.
  • If the question had “SAP Community” as its managed tag, and it was published before March 2023, it will not be migrated.

Note that if we delete a blog post or a question with comments and/or answers, these replies will be deleted as well, as these threads can't exist without the parent content.

We know that published content plays a large role in every member’s reputation in the community, and we can assure you that any missions or badges that you earned with that content will not be lost—you will keep all of those missions and badges, even if the content they were based on is not migrated.

Next Steps

If you are among the users who have content that will be deleted, you will be notified via email by the end of January 3 (the email header is titled: SAP COMMUNITY MIGRATION: content that will not migrate to the new platform). If you have a question about your content, you can send an email to sapcommunity@sap.com ; the team is working diligently to reply within 48 hours. 

If you wish to keep a copy of all your content, you can request an export file using functionality available in the profile:

1. Log in to the SAP Community.
  2. Click on the avatar at the top right and select “My Account.”
    audreystevenson_0-1702504618999.png
  3. Open Account & Settings on the left and select “Privacy.”
    audreystevenson_1-1702504619010.png
  4. Select the “Privacy Settings” tab.
    audreystevenson_2-1702504619018.png
  5. In the “Download your information” section, click on the Request button.
    The system will automatically generate a file of your content, which will be available in that section for you to download. (Please note that if you have a lot of content, the file generation may take some time.)

We look forward to relaunching after migration with a community that is responsive and vibrant, and ready for more of your excellent content.

40 Comments
JimSpath
Active Contributor

Hi Audrey!

(we go back a few iterations, for reference to others)

If the post had 6 views or fewer in 2022, it will not be migrated.

Ah, well, that's definitely the stake in the ground. One of mine I looked at has 1,500 views, except I posted it in 2007, with no obvious way to tell how many "tail end" views it had (I have a doubt about the 1,500 given other stats challenges, as an aside).

If the post covered anything related to previous platforms/migrations – including feedback about improvements and bug reports – it will not be migrated.

No problem with this if I don't have to see "SAP JAM" in my archives. Whether I lose anything else with the baby's bathwater shall be seen.

I have not looked yet but are there restrictions from sites like archive.org keeping historic duplicates of SAP Community posts? I recall complaining about my SCN posts being copied and hosted elsewhere, and SAP Community managers being unable/disallowed to deal with those site (which have probably been plowed under meanwhile for reasons).

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi @JimSpath, we do go back a ways, don't we. 😄

Regarding sites with copied SAP Community posts, the team investigates all sites when alerted.

parttimenerd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Audrey,

what will become of articles that reference images from other sources? Using images located on other websites, that I have the ownership of, was supported on the old system, but not on the new.

Regards

Johannes

Srdjan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello @audreystevenson 

> If the post had 6 views or fewer in 2022, it will not be migrated.

I am not a native English speaker and not sure what this exactly means: 6 views or fewer during 2022, or 6 views or fewer since the beginning, until the end of 2022 ?

In either way, how can I find out if any of my blogs is affected? Would it be easier to extract the information and send to affected blogs' owners?

Thanks and regards, Srdjan

ThorstenDencker
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello @audreystevenson , Hi all

how can we found out which content especially blogs are removed?

Thanks Thorsten

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Is there any information available how I am able to leverage the content that I have just dowloaded?

The structure of the JSON file seems to be flat.

So I see an entry

{
"id": "blogs.sap.com_blogpost_1504189",
"subscription_id": "",
"objectType": "blogpost",

and right after this an entry

{
"id": "blogs.sap.com_comment_614527",
"objectType": "comment",
"status": "published",
"displayName": "New SAP Gateway Demo System available",

Would it be possible to have a basic structure that for example all entries for blogs are part of one array 

blogs[
{
"id": "blogs.sap.com_blogpost_1504189",
"objectType": "blogpost",
},

],
answers[

],
blogs_comment[
{
"id": "blogs.sap.com_comment_614527",
"objectType": "comment",
"status": "published",
"displayName": "New SAP Gateway Demo System available",
},
]

This way it would be easier to find the more important content (such as old blogs) between the numerous other stuff.
And any JSON viewer would help you by expanding just the content you are interested in (blogs, answers, etc.).

Or a viewer for the content would be nice. Since I assume that the author that has invented this format has used something like that when he or she tested this export functionality.

Kind regards,
Andre

ANKIT_CHAUHAN
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @audreystevenson ,

I cannot download the Profile Information (JSON export) and get the error message as: Couldn't download - Network issue.

Can you please suggest what can be the issue?

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Hm, not sure I like that 😞 
I got that e-mail, so I will loose content; 

I gave lot's of feedback, when SAP Community started, so there is that ; but what else will I lose? Can I get a list (I know you have a complete list, so from that you could just send me the items created by any of my users (profiles are linked) . 

Thanks
Joachim

SabineReich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi all, I second what others have written - it's a pity that valuable content will be removed, and at a relatively short notice, too. And where can I get an overview of the blog posts and questions that I will lose? Thanks, Sabine

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@ANKIT_CHAUHAN the download did not work for me as well when I tried this the first time .

I simply closed the browser and clicked on the link again. Then it worked. 

But I agree to all other post that ask for a personal list of objects that are to be deleted. 

Based on the criteria that have been shared it should be possible to create a separate page in the old platform that uses the selection criteria mentioned there and woudl use the user id of the currently logged on user as a filter paramter.

This way it should be possible to have one link that shows a list of links of to be deleted objects for each user.

Regards,

Andre

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

( As suggested , I wrote an e-mail to sapcommunity@sap.com about this, but I thinks it's good to also talk about it here)

I got my download, but it is missing content:

It should include my blog https://blogs.sap.com/2016/01/20/s4-hana-1511-on-premise-edition-not-as-simplified-as-promissed-comp... .

In fact, that link appears a few times in the JSON.

However, it's content is NOT there:
I searched the JSON for “system via the classical SapGui-functions” (a part of the blogs text) and found nothing.

Please note: Searching for “Last week I got the chance to lay my hands on a S4 HANA 1511 OnPremise Edition” - the first words of the blog DOES find something. However, it is just the first few words. Not the full text!

So when checking for your content, do not ONLY search for first words, but pick some from deeper down. Otherwise, this might give a false sense of "all is well!" while in fact it's not.

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@joachimrees1 it should not be necessary for you and for me to search for you content in this way. This is just a waste of time.

If the JSON file would offer a basic structure as I suggested above you could simply distinguish between comments and blog posts.

OliverGraeff
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @audreystevenson 

thanks a lot. Can you provide more details on how to get a list of my blog posts which are NOT migrated and how to migrate some of them (those which are still relevant) on my own? I think I don't want to download to a local file, but use the automatic migration tool you are using.)

Thanks a lot, Oliver

ANKIT_CHAUHAN
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear @Andre_Fischer ,

I already tried it. It is not working for me.

@audreystevenson 

Harald_Stevens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @audreystevenson 

does this in turn mean that if I did NOT receive a email prior to the 29th of December (which seems to be the case...), ALL my content will be migrated?

How would such a 'warning' mail look like (who is the sender, what is the header, ...)?

Thanks a lot and kind regards
Harald

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@parttimenerd  Regarding "articles that reference images from other sources," upcoming new regulations in the EU limit our ability to incorporate images from other websites. Only uploading will be supported moving forward on the new platform.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

For everyone asking about how to see a list of their content which will not be migrated: please send an email to sapcommunity@sap.com with your request.

cc: @Srdjan @ThorstenDencker @joachimrees1 @SabineReich @OliverGraeff 

@Srdjan To answer your question specifically about "6 views or fewer during 2022, or 6 views or fewer since the beginning, until the end of 2022":
I am referring to blog posts that received no more than 6 views total during the year 2022 (remember, however, that that criteria applies only to blog posts published before 2022; we are migrating all blog posts from 2022 and 2023 regardless of views received).

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ANKIT_CHAUHAN (cc @Andre_Fischer ) For technical issues regarding the JSON download, please send an email to sapnetwork@sap.com.

Update Jan 3: @ANKIT_CHAUHAN (cc @Andre_Fischer) I've been notified that the correct address to which to send JSON issues is sapcommunity@sap.com. Apologies for the confusion.

ThorstenDencker
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@audreystevenson: What is the proposed way to migrate blogs which are not automatically migrated?

Honestly two years are a very short time frame to identify content to migrate, especially as SAP has product life cycles of more than 20 years. We will lose a lot of valuable content and should give the author the possibility to decide what is still important.  

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I just tried to export my content but the download just fails. How does one go about getting that to work?

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@joachimrees1 Regarding content you may believe is missing from the JSON file, please send an email to sapnetwork@sap.com. That is where we are meant to report technical issues with the JSON file.

Update Jan 3: @joachimrees1 I've been notified that the correct address to which to send JSON issues is sapcommunity@sap.com. Apologies for the confusion.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bill_froelich For technical issues with the JSON file, please send an email to sapnetwork@sap.com.

Update Jan 3: @bill_froelich I've been notified that the correct address to which to send JSON issues is sapcommunity@sap.com. Apologies for the confusion.

Sycntegral
Active Participant

Hi all

I used the online formatter https://jsongrid.com/json-parser to visualize better my downloaded JSON file content for the future use.

I agree with concerns of the content, which will be lost during the platform migration. We probably had a generation of the SAP eco-system, which build their careers based on our Blogs content.

Sycntegral_0-1704264339559.png

abo
Active Contributor

I just got the notification to download my content: I am assuming that my content is not affected, since the notification came in after the 29th, is that correct?

Regardless, I keep getting an error when I try downloading the requested export package:

abo_0-1704265420733.png

Any ideas?

I also sent an email to sapnetwork@sap.com as noted in another comment... @audreystevenson answer came back, from itsm.notification-service@sap.com:

Thank you for contacting SAP SSO Support. We are responsible for helping you with SSO related issues.

Your issue does not seem to be SSO related, we do not have the knowledge or permissions to provide support outside of this scope.

Please contact the support team for the specific platform which you are trying to access. If no support channel is visible on this platform, please contact your SAP consultant for advice on where to look for support.

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

@audreystevenson 
OK, E-Mails are sent.

Just to make sure we are on common ground here:
The download-process absulutely should follow profile linking.
I think it might not do that yet? What's the status in this regard?

My real life exmaple: My main account is @joachim.rees3 .

It is linked to these other profiles:
@joachim.rees
@joachimrees2
@joachim.rees2

When I start the donwload from @joachim.rees3, I expect to get content from it AND all it's linked profiles.
Will this be working soon?

Or should I look into account-merging (this is possible since a few months, right?) , to secure all my conntent?

Thanks
Joachim

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How do we identify which content will not be migrated? I understand the criteria, but I don't understand how to identify a specific list of content.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@abo As it turns out, the date for email send-outs shifted a bit. Members who have some content that is not going to migrate should have received an email by end of today, January 3. The email header is titled: SAP COMMUNITY MIGRATION: content that will not migrate to the new platform. 

So if you did receive an email, your content is affected. If you have questions, you can write to sapcommunity@sap.com  (such as: how do I obtain a list of my content that will be deleted). The team is working diligently to reply within 48 hours. 

As I also have now noted in some other comments, that email address is also where you should send JSON questions. So please send an email to sapcommunity@sap.com to report that the JSON download is not working for you.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@lukemarson To request a list of your content that will not be migrated, please send an email to sapcommunity@sap.com.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@joachimrees1 I've put in a query regarding your question about the JSON and linked accounts. I'll let you know when I have an answer.

abo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@audreystevensonfor the JSON download I had sent an email to sapnetwork@sap.com and got a reply from another team saying basically "not our thing" and that was it (the email in full in my previous comment). While I appreciate the effort put into the migration, I am not inclined to turn this into a second job... as another long-term member put it, "not my first rodeo, saying goodbye to my content".

ANKIT_CHAUHAN
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @abo 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please send an email to sapcommunity@sap.com to report the issue related to the JSON.

parttimenerd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@audreystevenson just to clarify, all blog posts with external images will not be migrated?

carpe_diem
Community Manager
Community Manager

@joachimrees1 

In regards to your comment that there's content missing in your export, in your case you have multiple accounts and you didn't go through Account Merge process to move data from your old s-user to your current account.

This is the reason why when you request an export for 1 account it doesn't include the data of other linked account.
The account linking was done for showing the connection between your accounts on UI in Profile. It is also used as a source by Community's Account Merge process.
But you shouldn't expect to have an export for all linked accounts in 1 export, unless (and that is also something that should be clarified with Community team) you go through Account Merge.

But, if you would request an export for your old user with which you have published that post (username: joachim.rees) there you would see the full export of your blog post you have written.

Hope this helps,
Vladimir

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ANKIT_CHAUHAN @abo @bill_froelich 
The bug that was preventing the JSON download for users with a large amount of content has been addressed. You should be able to successfully download your file now.

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@audreystevenson I can confirm that I am now able to download the JSON.  However, the activities content element is limited to 255 characters sometimes with the ... and sometimes just a hard cut at 255.  the content in the content element goes beyond 255.  Is this a bug in the export?

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@parttimenerd Regarding your question about whether blog posts with externally linked images will be migrated or not: they will still be migrated, unless they meet the other criteria listed in my post above. The restriction is a forward-facing one; from here on out, images will need to be uploaded instead of linked. Hope that clarifies.

abo
Active Contributor

@audreystevensonit worked, thanks.

carpe_diem
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @bill_froelich ,

Can you provide an example of a content (a link to it, or the content ID in the export file) where it is cut off?
In most cases I would expect that what you are seeing is an excerpt of the full content. But the full content should also be there. I can try and help look for it, so you'll have a better understanding where it might be.
Also. if you have / had other accounts used in Community, please let me know.
Especially if you didn't go through Account Merge to migrate all data to 1 current account.
This was the case I explained above for @joachimrees1 

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@carpe_diem 

Here is one example where the content just cuts off at 255 characters.  This is from the activities object in the export.

"guid": "05edf45c-3d95-4486-b9bd-7430420768cf",
"content": "Hi All I have Agentry App I have Edit Trascation with 4 string properies and 1 Decimal Number Property. I have Java part of application where I pass value of transaction to the SAP BAPI. The problem is that I can't get value of Decimal Number Property Do",