What's New
Stay informed about the latest in SAP Community. Explore new developments, strategy updates, and program announcements shaping the future of our community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

On Tuesday, January 16, we will begin migrating the community.sap.com Q&A and blogging content to the groups platform, creating a single community.sap.com destination. We anticipate that we'll finish the migration on Wednesday, January 24. 

During the migration period, the community will be read-only. Members won't be able to post new content, leave kudos, subscribe, or do anything else requiring log-in. This freeze applies to both community.sap.com and groups.community.sap.com. 

In preparation for this migration, please plan accordingly, as you'll be unable to publish anything to discussions, blogs, Q&A, and other areas from January 16 to the end of the migration cycle. Also, please keep in mind that we will only migrate content that has been published prior to the migration. For example, once the migration begins, any content in blogs.sap.com that is still under review, requiring more work, or saved as a draft will be lost. 

If you are a blogger at Contributor level -- meaning you have not yet achieved the Author status necessary to publish content directly to blogs.sap.com -- you must have your submissions in the moderation review queue by no later than January 1. Similarly, if you have content that our moderation team has set to "needs more work," you must submit again for review by January 1 -- after ensuring that you have followed the instructions that the moderation team provided. 

We can't guarantee that we'll be able to publish any content submitted for review after January 1.  

In addition, since our moderators -- along with the rest of the SAP Community team -- are focusing on the migration, they won't have as much time in December and January to coach new bloggers whose content doesn't quite meet our standards and guidelines. In these cases, at their discretion, the moderators may need to reject posts and ask the bloggers to save the content offline and submit again after migration, when the moderation team can once again invest the time necessary to help our new bloggers acclimate to the community style. 

For these reasons, when it comes to migration and blogging, we recommend that all new bloggers consider waiting until after we've finished the transition to the new platform in late January before beginning their blogging journey. Otherwise, they must submit their content for review by no later than January 1.  

To be clear: Any blogging content with the status of "Needs more work," "Under review," or "Draft" at the start of the migration will be lost as of January 16. So, either take the steps necessary to get your content published by the deadlines or save offline so you can submit for the new platform in late January. (Tip: If you aren't sure of the status of your blog content, go to https://people.sap.com/#content:blogposts and check the Status dropdown menu, as shown below.) 

blogs.png

Blogging content isn't the only area affected by migration and moderation. This move will also have an impact on Q&A and moderation alerts. 

When new members submit Q&A content to answers.sap.com, their questions, answers, and comments go through moderation. Therefore, if you're new to the community and want to participate in questions and answers, please make sure you submit content by Friday, January 12, to give our moderators enough time to process. Any Q&A content from new members submitted between January 13 and 15 may not be published -- and, subsequently, won't be migrated to the new platform. 

January 12 is also the cutoff for moderation alerts on the current community.sap.com platform. If you find anything in the community after January 12 that violates our rules -- such as spam or incorrectly tagged content -- please report it after the migration is completed. If you report anything between January 13 and 15, the moderation team may not get to your alert before migration. As a result, your alert may be lost, as we will be retiring the multiple systems currently used for blogging and Q&A and moving fully to a single moderation/reporting system once we are live with the new community. (The current system in place for groups.community.sap.com is what we'll use for all moderation alerts post-migration. Every piece of content on the community will feature a pulldown menu with a "Report Inappropriate Content" option, as shown below, that you can use to notify moderators.)  

alert.png

We're excited about this move to our new home in 2024, and we appreciate your patience and cooperation as we take the steps required for a successful transition. Please make a note of the dates and advice above, so you don't risk losing any of your content during the migration phase. 

TIMELINE SUMMARY 

• January 1: last day for Contributor bloggers to submit posts for moderation review  
  • January 12: last day to submit moderation alerts on the current community.sap.com platform and for new members to submit Q&A content to answers.sap.com 
  • January 15: last day to save blogging content with status of "Needs more work," "Under review," or "Draft" offline (as it will be lost from legacy systems during the migration period) 
  • January 16 to 23: the migration period during which both SAP Community Groups and SAP Community will be READ-ONLY
  • January 24: launch of the new SAP Community 
54 Comments
WoodyCX
Participant

Hi @jerryjanda ,
would you consider adding new Report functionality, something like "Question no longer valid"?
When I look for solutions on SAP Answers, quite often I stumble upon questions where:
1. Someone asked about issue XYZ four years ago, SAP employee responded with "this is system issue, will be fixed with 2003 update". (in cloud-only solution, where none of customers could be operating on old system version now)
2. Someone asked a question (sometimes poorely) and did not receive answer for last three years.
3. Question is no longer relevant, for example, someone asked and received answer about functionality that is discontinued in cloud-only solution.
In general, it would be great if us, consultants, could get tool to report questions that are irrelevant, and deleting them would benefit us all in search of truely useful information.

Greetings,
Adam, CX Consultant

christianpunz
Participant

hi @jerryjanda ,
what's the exact impact of the migration of blog postings? one of my most important reference is the blog post about CDS views witten by Thorsten Franz: https://blogs.sap.com/2019/02/12/dont-be-that-team-why-cds-views-are-the-new-abap-objects/ 
I gave it to a whole lot of colleagues and customers. Will they be able to access it w/o hassle or will the original link be broken after the migration?
any feedback appreciation. thx!

JimSpath
Active Contributor

> you'll be unable to publish anything to discussions, blogs, Q&A, and other areas from January 16 to the end of the migration cycle

A "freeze" in January is quaint, like before global warming took away our snowy winters in the Mid-Atlantic zone. 😕

A point of clarification--are the to-be-locked "blogs" those posts under blogs.sap.com (as the new platform has a parallel blogging component labeled as "articles" to distinguish which sub-site has which content)?

And, will the surviving blog posts be merged into the new platform article stream, or will both survive the migration?

Finally, what will be the moderation turnaround time for components already running in the new platform (articles, specifically, as questions may not have the same gating in effect now) during the migration? I'm sure all the Community teams will be busy with migration check-lists.

Peace / Jim

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @WoodyCX:

Thank you for the suggestion. We won't have that option at launch, but we can consider for future updates. And you're always free to use the "Report Inappropriate Content" option to alert the moderation team about questions that could be problematic. 

For now, please see https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/community-content-important-details-about-content-tha... -- as it explains how some of the content you mentioned won't be migrated to the new platform.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @christianpunz:

Redirects will be set up for all migrated content, so anyone with the current link will be redirected automatically to the new URL. So, no, the link won't be broken, and yes, they'll be able to access the post without hassle.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @JimSpath:

The freeze affects all content: blogs, articles, etc. And, yes, the blog posts migrated from blogs.sap.com/community.sap.com will be added to the new platform's stream, along with the blog posts currently in groups.community.sap.com.

I can't give any predictions right now for strict turnaround times for moderation, as moderation for blogging will be slightly different in the new platform. The community's moderation team will continue to strive to review all submissions within 5 business days. But not all blog content passes through our team. For example, some groups have dedicated owners/curators who are responsible for reviewing the blog content submitted to them. They should still complete initial reviews within a reasonable amount of time, so members can always reach out to them with questions or contact moderators@sap.com if there seems to be a hold-up.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor

Wow...Blessing in Disguise ! I have always been in 'catch-up mode' with so many blogposts pushed every single day -- getting overwhelmed on how the "to-read" content keeps piling up....The freeze period is going to help clear the backlog ! All the best for the migration! 🙂

JimSpath
Active Contributor

On the new platform, how do you:

1. Find drafts that are "under review"? I have not found a menu that shows draft posts, and I only found my way back to one draft by luck. The WordPress module has a menu of posts, including drafts.
  2. Ask for a review after a week goes by? If I need to wait days to find out if anyone looked at my content, I'm less motivated to submit new content. With 3 owners listed for a space, I'm tempted to email all of them (which they probably don't want).
  3. Earn the right to publish in a space without "peer review?"

Jim

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jim,

Drafts are specific to the area where they are started, there is not a single location or link for all drafts in that sense.

In terms of review, we are getting there. As we are moving things into position and fixing notifications and such this should also help to ensure proper notifications around publishing and submitting, etc.

In terms of rights, the rank ladder (more info to come) will apply the rights to publish automatically but of course this once migration is complete.

Craig

JimSpath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@craigcmehil (Craig):

Thanks for the updates! I see much activity in many directions, and am working on ingesting the new matrix.

> there is not a single location or link for all drafts

Understood. I have one published in the Tokyo location-specific space, and can see more details there about prior posts. That page correctly shows "View All Drafts (0)".

blog-post-jp.pngIn the other space where I have a draft, I cannot locate the same details.

blog-post-ia.png

I am not asking to "bump the line," only trying to find where the line is. If I create a draft, a central place to see that work without taxing my memory cells ("was that in Enterprise Architecture or Information Architecture?") would help.

(p.s. sorry for the wonky layout--more on that later)

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@JimSpath should be there as well, maybe just much further down on the right hand side.

Wallace
Active Participant

I ask what is perhaps a bad question, because it relates to my way of working... So Please coach me/point me to answers/a better way to work.
In the current (legacy) community:

I'm subscribed to multiple tags of interest

I check my inbox, delete ones that aren't of interest/further look

Mark read ones I want to have for future reference

Leave some unread of high interest/that I expect to react to.

How will this work in the coming soon community?

Thanks, Wallace

JimSpath
Active Contributor

@craigcmehil You are correct, as always

maybe just much further down on the right hand side

"much" being understated; I admit I only scrolled down a bit, probably expecting an endless feed.

😎

Bottom rightBottom right

Wallace
Active Participant

Found the answer to the question from yesterday about way of working.

It is the notification center; I got the link to work properly (felt like an authentication issue with my S users) today by going to incognito.
Apologies for the spam.
In case there's others, here's an early link to notification center: https://ccs.services.sap.com/inbox

This is the one on the legacy community/inbox page.

Wallace

florianbus
Contributor

Hi @jerryjanda, I am not sure if it is the correct place to ask but I will try 🙂

With the change to the new community and the related profiles etc, for the public profile using a P-User it is fine but how will the existence of multiple S-Users be solved, especially in cases where you have S-User of company A who already posted content, received Kudos etc. (this S-User will be expired) and S-User of company B (new S-User because of a contract change). Will there be an option to merge the S-User A data into the S-User B and if yes, how can it be achieved?

Thank you!
Florian

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also regarding latest post from @Former Member, what will happen to the linked profiles functionality existing on the SAP People portal? 

I have profiles created with S-USER from former employee that are probably disabled, so there's no way to login...

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Thanks for the timeline @jerryjanda !

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mamartins @Former Member There is a separate post about profiles (https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/get-to-know-your-post-migration-profile/ba-p/308061), but I don't think it will answer your questions. Keep in mind that SAP Profile extends far beyond SAP Community, so someone from SAP IT will need to answer or provide me with the necessary information.

I'll share your questions with them.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor

Will bookmarks be migrated from the current platform to the groups platform?  I expect many community members, including myself, have used the bookmark feature in the community.sap.com platform to easily keep track of blogs for reference.  I hope these bookmarks will not be lost in the migration.  Please confirm.

Thank you,

Mustafa.

florianbus
Contributor
0 Kudos

@jerryjanda Thank you for pointing to the other post but true, it does not answer the questions. Thank you for bringing the questions to the SAP IT team for clarification. Highly appreciate your feedback. Thx, Florian

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MustafaBensan Bookmarking is covered in the profile post: https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/get-to-know-your-post-migration-profile/ba-p/308061. Bookmarks from people.sap.com won't be migrated to the new platform.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

amitcruz
Participant

@jerryjanda : If bookmarks are not going to migrate automatically from community.sap.com to groups.community.sap.com. What is SAP recommends us to do as I have more than 500 bookmarks. Is there any way to get the URLs of all bookmarks or is there any way to export and import into new platform ?

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@amitcruz: I'm afraid there is no way to export and import between the two platforms, and there's no way to download the full list. If you've bookmarked within a browser, redirects will be in place, so those will work after the migration, but there isn't any way to migrate the bookmarks within the profiles.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

kvibhasharma
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@mamartins @flopriv : With migration, the SAP Community will allow login via Universal ID, not via S/P user IDs. A user should have a single Universal ID and a Universal ID can have multiple S/P user IDs associated with it. So even if the user has multiple S/P IDs that user will appear as a single user in the sap community. Hopefully, that answers your question, please let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Johan_H
Active Contributor

So in a nutshell:

For the 4th time now (or is it more?), SAP is migrating the community from a working platform to a "better" platform, because reasons.

Again, the new platform is hyped to be a huge improvement over the previous, just because SAP wants it to be so.

Again, the migration gets rushed through, with minimal planning, and by multiple departments that have no understanding of each other.

Again, the new platform will be missing all quality of life features, that took SAP 6 to 36 months to reimplement after the previous migration.

Again, most users will be left frustrated.

Thank you SAP for the two years that things actually worked again. See you in 2027.

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

A bit harsh, but well said, @Johan_H . 
( I can't even "answer" to your comment - as in: have my comment be related/linked to yours; there is now "answer button here? (but I saw it in other places...))

Johan_H
Active Contributor

Hi @joachimrees1,

"A bit harsh"

Perhaps, but seeing as they are now creating the same shichow for the umpth time, and not learning from it, I fail to see how nice encouraging words of thanks help.

"( I can't even "answer" to your comment - as in: have my comment be related/linked to yours; there is now "answer button here? (but I saw it in other places...))"

Johan_H_0-1704892816937.png

Oh the irony. Perfect example of where I am coming from. Remember SAP's goal of a single user experience accross all of their sites in 2016? I bet that SAP has conveniently forgotten about that one.

I am getting a feeling of déjà vu. First SAP says that the new platform works better, then they migrate the bare essentials, then they setup work groups to look at all these "completely new" features that users are requesting. Who would have guessed? Then they take at least 3 to 4 months to discuss them and have 4 different people ask for opinions and feedback through 4 different channels, who then do not communicate with each other. Then they plan new solutions, actively ignoring previous solutions that everybody was happy with, because why would you. Then they assign a skeleton crew to implement all the new features over the following 3 years.

Not that I am bitter or frustrated or anything 😉

florianbus
Contributor
0 Kudos

@kvibhasharma Usage of Universal ID for login is fine but technically there are multiple user ids linked based on each single S- or P-User. E.g. I currently have 3 user IDs in groups.community.sap (2 from S-Users and 1 from P-User). Now what will happen, one of my S-User is going to expire, so I will loose all existing kudos, messages, posts etc. linked with it and have no option to reassign it to the user id of the active S-User. Any option to safeguard this? Best Regards, Florian

kvibhasharma
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@florianbus  - Currently, the platform allows users to log in and select S/P IDs. With migration, all the community content kudos, blogs, etc. will be merged (only the linked accounts) into a single account (user's Universal ID account) and the content will no longer be related to S/P IDs and hence even if the S Id expires it will not have any impact as the community content will be tied to the user's Universal ID. 

ThomasJenewein
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

quick question: in the freeze mode  - will the "Join Group" feature work? I guess  not - but i did not find any info. 

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Login will not be possible for the first few days of the process, therefore "join" will also not be possible.

AlexNecula
Active Contributor

Hi,

Has the RSS feed suffered modifications too?

I was able to subscribe to specific tags before (ex. only blogs/questions for Fiori or UI5). It seems that this is not possible anymore. The only option I can find is to have the feed "board based", ex. to have all the content from "Technology".

However, this adds up to a lot of content throughout a day that do not fit every specific user.

There is also the possibility to get the feed based on search, but this would not work either since the key word might not be contained inside the title/question.

Alex

DiegoValdivia
Participant

Hi,

I agree with @AlexNecula .

I used to check my RSS feed every day using Feedly, but now it's empty.

DiegoValdivia_0-1706540596754.png

I haven't found a way yet to keep updated on those specific topics using this new platform.

Regards.

xjhacking
Contributor

I also lost my tag specific RSS feeds for blog posts. 😞 It seems like I'm only able to add a super generic RSS feed of all (!) posts, including replies...

So instead I'm now trying to understand how to find blogs in a certain topic/tag. If I go to the SAP Analytics Cloud tag I get a page with Latest Posts, Latest Replies, Top Posts and a list of ancient Top Kudoed Posts. In Latest Posts I see both blogs and Questions. 

I'm probably overlooking something but Is there a way to only see the blogs? 

xjhacking_0-1706600378205.png

AlexNecula
Active Contributor

@xjhacking is right. I have also tried with https://pages.community.sap.com/topics/cloud-analytics?ct=blog&lng=en&tab=content (notice it has the ct=blog parameter) but to me it still shows some introductory links.

I have reached that link by going to https://community.sap.com/  -> Technology -> Technology Blogs by SAP -> SAP Analytics Cloud (from related topics section) -> All Blog Posts (from the What's New section).

Also, I don't see any option for reply to comments...

It feels like the migration was scheduled too early.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @AlexNecula :

RSS is still available, but as you noted, it's not available on the tag level: https://community.sap.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/rss.

You can still subscribe to a tag, so that you can get notifications (and see feeds) specific to that tag. For example, you mentioned SAP Fiori. If you go to https://community.sap.com/t5/c-khhcw49343/SAP+Fiori/pd-p/73554900100700000977 you can subscribe to the SAP Fiori tag. You can do this for any SAP Managed Tag in the community. (You can also use search just by SAP Managed Tags. You'll see that option in the search bar pulldown.)

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @DiegoValdivia:

I responded to Alex, but to respond to you as well: You can use RSS feeds to get updates about boards (such as Q&A or blogs for specific categories), but if you want to drill deeper, you can subscribe to tags to receive notifications about new content and check tag feeds.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

quovadis
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello @jerryjanda ,

Thank you for migrating the content to the new platform.

However, the formatting and layout of my blogposts suffered a lot during the automatic migration. It looks like the html editor on this platform had issues with the html code generated by the previous community platform. Thus the conversion resulted in a less readable content.  

One other thing that the migration has seemingly overlooked is to reindex and redirect the links with the custom tags. For instance, https://blogs.sap.com/tag/quovadis/ yields 

Spoiler

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It's a pity as my readers will be getting 404 errors now instead of being served the content. 

Are there any plans to restore the functional parity with the previous platform ?

thank you

AlexNecula
Active Contributor

Hi @jerryjanda ,

The link led me to the following:

AlexNecula_0-1706678880162.png

Alex

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @xjhacking:

There is no way to separate content types in tag feeds, but if you look at the content displayed, it will indicate whether it's in the Q&A or blogs area (e.g., "in Technology Blogs by SAP"  vs. "in Technology Q&A"). 

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello again, @AlexNecula:

For the broken link, it looks like the comma was added into the URL by mistake. I've fixed it.

Please note that https://pages.community.sap.com/topics/cloud-analytics is a static topic page. It doesn't pull in content dynamically.

There is no way to thread comments currently.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

DiegoValdivia
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda 

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, the options proposed don't provide the same functionality I had before the migration. See next:

• About subscribing to RSS Feeds for boards, its not useful at all, because Boards are extremely general. So I would be receiving thousands of posts from SAP areas which I'm not interested in
  • About subscribing to SAP Managed Tags. This seems to be the closest option to what I need. But there are three problems with such option:
  1. I cannot subscribe to RSS Feed to a Managed Tag
  2. SAP Managed tags show Blog Posts and Q&A together. The problem is that I'm not interested in Q&A at all for most of the Tags I'm subscribed. I might sound to evil, but the truth is I don't have time to read/help Q&A posts
  3. When I go to my Notifications, all the notifications are mixed. There's no way to group by Tag or so. Right now, I lose a lot of time scrolling the notification list and trying to figure out what entry belong to the Blog Posts of the Tags I'm interested in. In my case, there tags with higher priority (Like ABAP Restful). So, on a daily basis I always try to read those posts first, and I read the rest of the Tags on Weekends. When I  was using RSS Feeds, I just opened the corresponding Feed and read all the new Posts generated today.

Is SAP actually listening to users about all this lost functionality after the migration?

Regards.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @quovadis:

As we've been communicating, the new blogging platform has basic html functionality, and there's no way to 100% replicate the look and feel of previous platforms. 

I don't know why custom tags aren't redirecting. We're investigating that. I can, however, tell you that the user tags still work. (Here's one of yours, for example: https://community.sap.com/t5/tag/Quovadis/tg-p/board-id/technology-blog-sap.)

Kind regards,

--Jerry 

quovadis
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello @jerryjanda 

is there a way to remove the clutter when viewing a blog post ? I mean at minima the overwhelming space taken by all these kudos thingy....

The below settings do not allow to achieve this.  

Thank you

quovadis_0-1706871465495.png

quovadis
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello @jerryjanda 

Is there a way to consume a gist (like for instance medium platform can do) ? Thank you.

xavierlegarrec
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi @jerryjanda 

It is disappointing that we can't see the number of views on blog posts anymore. Was that done on purpose ? It was a great way to know the topics we could write more on.

Also could we have video embedding back ? I had tons of recording embedded in my blog posts on the SAP Blog platform and now it just shows as links to YouTube...

Thanks

Xavier

BACKESSI
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi @jerryjanda 

For SAP Marketing Cloud we have saved images in https://blogs.sap.com/wp-content/uploads that we also use in templates, delivered to our customers. E.g. https://blogs.sap.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/05_logo1.png. After the migration they are gone. Could you please check how to recover them. 

Thanks 

Silvia

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @DiegoValdivia:

Yes, we're listening to feedback, and you'll see in my various comments/replies, I have acknowledged that the inability to sort tags by content type is a problem that we're looking to address.

I'll be posting something in What's New soon to address other common questions/concerns.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @quovadis:

Will answer both of your questions here. 

There is no way to change the display for content on the site.

There is a selection for editing/inserting code samples in posts, but not in the way you're describing. (To my knowledge, that functionality was never available in community platforms, so I don't think there was a change here.)

Kind regards,

--Jerry

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @xavierlegarrec:

As reported in this post https://community.sap.com/t5/what-s-new/addressing-common-questions-and-complaints-about-the-new-pla... we are working to get views added back.

For the videos, there was an issue that affected some posts, and it's been reported. I don't know how/if it can be resolved, but I'm trying to find out.

Kind regards,

--Jerry