Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Introduction

Using stateful BSP applications poses an obvious problem: how do we remove the server state for browser based application. If the user navigates outside of our application or shuts down their browser, our server state remains, consuming valuable system resources. For a while now BSP programmers have had the option of routing the start of their applications through a copy of a one of two pages in the SYSTEM BSP Application.

We have the pages session_single_frame.htm and session_buffered_frame.htm. Single Frame can be used under normal conditions and buffered frame is used for when your application uses delta handling. These pages show you how you can load your application into a frame. You then register a JavaScript function to fire on the OnUnLoad event of this fameset. This JavaScript function then launches a popup window that will clear up your applications current server state.

The Problem

If you have tried this solution, then you know that it works reasonable well under most situations. So what is the problem? First it uses a popup window. To most end users, popup windows that fire without their triggering an action are as bad as SPAM. The situation has become so serious, that we have popup blockers being built into just about every internet browser. Before you know it, you have some user who doesn't know how to set a popup exception calling your support desk wanting to know why the record he was working on before break says that he still has it locked. I have even seen an Internet Explorer Patch that broke IE's ability to render output into the popup. You end up with a nice empty popup window and a mountain of dead stateful sessions back on your server. Let's just say that the day that patch rolled out, we had lots of grouchy support desk technicians.

The Solution

Well now that my name is mud with the local support desk, what can I do to redeem myself. Lucky SAP has come to the rescue with a new solution to the state management problem. An example of this new solution is available in BSP application ITSM as of 620 SP44 or 640 (not sure what SP it introduced in for 640 - however it is there in SP9). Now don't fret if you aren't quite at the latest support package. Most of the functionality in this solution is JavaScript. I was able to get the coding from a 640 sandbox system and then successfully use it in our 620 SP42 system. The only thing I can tell you is to give it a try and see what happens.

The main difference between the two solutions is that the new one doesn't rely on popup boxes to destroy the session state. Instead it uses some special functionality built into the ICM to close the session. The following is an explanation of how the ICM works to accomplish this that Brian McKellar shared a while back in a related subject. I will just quote him here again, since he explains it better than I ever could.

The ICM supports a sap-sessioncmd=CANCEL mode. With this, the session is killed by ICM, and then the incoming URL is still processed inside a new session. We just require an URL that looks exactly like the application URL in the part up to the name of the application, so that the session id cookie will be send with it. After ICM has cancelled the session, the URL will still be processed. So we require an URL that will be processed by the BSP runtime without any problems (and without opening a new session!). For this, we just use a special 1x1 URL. The BSP runtime has a performance improvement that will always reply with a 1x1.gif for an incoming URL of the format ".../1x1". However, this 1x1 image is cached, and the trick will only work once. So we just add one timestamp to make the URL unique for the browser, and have it trigger the loading of the 1x1 image.</p>

This solution as explained is very much what makes up the new logon session management.  What SAP does is in JavaScript is create an Image that refers to the 1x1.gif but also passes on the URL the Context ID and the Session Command CANCEL.  The following are those two lines of JavaScript:</p>

<textarea rows="4" cols="79">
img=new Image;
img.src = document.location.href+"/1x1.gif?sap-contextid=<%=
cl_http_utility=>escape_url( runtime->server->session_id ) %>
&sap-sessioncmd=CANCEL";

</textarea></p>

<STRONG><FONT size=3>The Sample</FONT></STRONG><br>
Incase you don't have the required support package level to see the example in ITSM, the following is a sample page that uses this solution:</p>
<textarea rows="10" cols="79">
<%@page language="abap" %>
<%@extension name="htmlb" prefix="htmlb" %>
<%@extension name="xhtmlb" prefix="xhtmlb" %>
<%@extension name="phtmlb" prefix="phtmlb" %>
<%
  " Copy this page into your BSP application, and change line below.
  " This page should always used be as entry point into application.
  DATA: target_page TYPE STRING VALUE 'index.do'.
  DATA: frame       type string.
  frame = sy-uzeit.
%>

<script language="JavaScript">
      <%= runtime->GET_DOMAIN_RELAX_SCRIPT( )  %>
      // Delete the cookie with the specified name.
      function DelSso2Cookie(sName,sPath)
      {
          var sso2Domain = location.hostname;
          if (location.hostname.indexOf(".")>
0)

sso2Domain = location.hostname.substr(location.hostname.indexOf(".")+1);

p="";

if(sPath)p=" path="sPath";";

document.cookie = sName"=0; expires=Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT;"p + "domain="sso2Domain";";

}

function exitBSPApplication(newTargetUrl)

{

<%

if runtime->session_manager->is_running = 0.

%>

img=new Image;

img.src = document.location.href+"/1x1.gif?sap-contextid=<%= cl_http_utility=>escape_url( runtime->server->session_id ) %>&sap-sessioncmd=CANCEL";

<%

" If you want to destroy the SSO2 cookie along with the server session,

" please uncomment the function below

%>

//DelSso2Cookie("MYSAPSSO2","/");

for(i=0;i<5000;i++)for(e in document.all) tmp=e.innerHTML;

<%

endif.

%>

document.getElementById("<%= frame %>_FRAMESET").onunload = null;

if(newTargetUrl) window.setTimeout('{document.location.href="'newTargetUrl'";}', 750);

}

0)`

`sso2Domain = location.hostname.substr(location.hostname.indexOf(".")+1);`

`p="";`

`if(sPath)p=" path="sPath";";`

`document.cookie = sName"=0; expires=Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT;"p + "domain="sso2Domain";";`

`}`

into html.

****Begin Exit Function

concatenate html

`function exitBSPApplication(newTargetUrl)`

`{`

into html.

****Log Off Action

if mc_runtime->session_manager->is_running = 0.

data: context_id type string.

data: session_id type string.

session_id = mc_runtime->server->session_id.

context_id = cl_http_utility=>escape_url( session_id ).

concatenate html

`img=new Image;`

`img.src = document.location.href+"/1x1.gif?sap-contextid=`

context_id

`&sap-sessioncmd=CANCEL";`

into html.

****Delete SSO2 Cookie?

if destroysso2cookie = abap_true.

concatenate html

`DelSso2Cookie("MYSAPSSO2","/");`

into html.

endif.

concatenate html

`for(i=0;i<5000;i++)for(e in document.all) tmp=e.innerHTML;`

into html.

endif.

****Build the Frame

concatenate html

`document.getElementById("`

frame

`_FRAMESET").onunload = null;`

`if(newTargetUrl) window.setTimeout('{document.location.href="'newTargetUrl'";}', 750);`

`}`

``
into html.

****Display the FrameSets
concatenate html
``
`

25 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos
I do not have the required SP at my client. So I was wondering how the get the new ITSM code for my application. Thanks a lot...
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,<br/>   I am using the same code that you had specified in the Sample code section . Here below is that piece of code that I am using still i am getting the Pop-up box and still the session is hanging if I use the Pop-up blocker in the browser:<br/><br/><%@page language="abap" %><br/><%@extension name="htmlb" prefix="htmlb" %><br/><%@extension name="xhtmlb" prefix="xhtmlb" %><br/><%@extension name="phtmlb" prefix="phtmlb" %><br/><%<br/>  " Copy this page into your BSP application, and change line below.<br/>  " This page should always used be as entry point into application.<br/>  DATA: target_page TYPE STRING VALUE 'source.do'.<br/>  DATA: frame       type string.<br/>  frame = sy-uzeit.<br/>%><br/><html><br/>            <script language="JavaScript"><br/>      <%= runtime->GET_DOMAIN_RELAX_SCRIPT( )  %><br/>      // Delete the cookie with the specified name.<br/>      function DelSso2Cookie(sName,sPath)<br/>      {<br/>          var sso2Domain = location.hostname;<br/>          if (location.hostname.indexOf(".")>0)<br/>              sso2Domain = location.hostname.substr(location.hostname.indexOf(".")1);<br/>          p="";<br/>          if(sPath)p=" path="sPath";";<br/>              document.cookie = sName"=0; expires=Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT;"+p + "domain="sso2Domain";";<br/>      }<br/>      function exitBSPApplication(newTargetUrl)<br/>      {<br/><%<br/>  if runtime->session_manager->is_running = 0.<br/>%><br/>img=new Image;<br/>img.src = document.location.href"/1x1.gif?sap-contextid=<%= cl_http_utility=>escape_url( runtime->server->session_id ) %>&sap-sessioncmd=CANCEL";<br/><%<br/>  " If you want to destroy the SSO2 cookie along with the server session,<br/>  " please uncomment the function below<br/>%><br/>//DelSso2Cookie("MYSAPSSO2","/");<br/>for(i=0;i<5000;i)for(e in document.all) tmp=e.innerHTML;<br/><%<br/>  endif.<br/>%><br/>          document.getElementById("<%= frame %>_FRAMESET").onunload = null;<br/>          if(newTargetUrl) window.setTimeout('{document.location.href="'newTargetUrl+'";}', 750);
}

Former Member
0 Kudos
I always hated the popup window. So it's great that there is another possibility, now. We are using release 620 with SP41 and it works without any problems 🙂
Former Member
0 Kudos
I can tell you that there is nothing in the supplied JavaScript or in the code you posted that is generating a popup window.  If you are still getting a popup window, then I suspect that somehow you are still hitting the old code.  Have you tried creating a new BSP application with just two pages - one with the session management and a simple Hello World page to load into it. Starting simple might point out where things are going wrong.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas Ritter,
                     Can you plesae send me the code(entry page .htm one) that you had implemented in your BSP .

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,
Greetson
Former Member
0 Kudos
i had createda new BSP applications and tried but still I have the same problem in my Client R/3 Box. I still getting the pop-up window instead of javascript pop-up box.

any suggestion why??.

we have following SP's applied in our system:
SAP_BASIS     620     0043     SAPKB62043SAP

Basis Component SAP_ABA     620     0043     Cross-

Application ComponentSAP_APPL     470     0021     

Logistics and AccountingSAP_HR     470     0028     

Human ResourcesABA_PLUS     100     0010     

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Greetson
Former Member
0 Kudos
You created a new BSP application that only has the code you listed in the start page.  You also only have one other page in your application and it has very little in it?  I'm not sure what you are experiencing.  You shouldn't see any popups at all with this new solution.  There is nothing in the supplied code that would generate a popup.  Many other people have tried the code sample and they have not reported this problem.  I fail to see how a popup box could be generated anywhere out of the given code.  Are you sure that you aren't calling to a page that still has the old state management code in it?
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

The examples you and Brian McKellar provide are excellent. The only problem that still remains is getting the process to work when running the BSP's through the Portal.

We have tried both ways and outside the portal they work fine. Once we call the BSP's through the portal, only the main BSP gets terminated, the other BSP's called by the main one remain open.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Johnny
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

The examples you and Brian McKellar provide are excellent.
The only problem that remains is getting this to work when you execute the BSP's through the portal.

We have tried both options and found that all sessions are closed only when running the BSP's outside the portal. When you run it through the portal, only the main BSP is closed correctly. The BSP called by the main one remains open.
Any suggestions?
Former Member
0 Kudos
You shouldn't need this solution if you are running in the Portal. Activate Portal Integration (A check box on your BSP application screen).  Then when you link into the portal, link directly to the real start page, not the session management page.  The portal should do the work of closing out the session for you.  This solution is really just for those of us running with the EP.  I would imagine that strange things might happen if you combine this solution with the session management that the portal already provides.
Mathias_24
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas!<br/><br/>Our system in on WAS 6.20 SP 34 (BASIS and ABA).<br/>Your sample page works really fine, thanks for that!<br/><br/>I also tried the BSP Extension way. But this run to errors. The first I could solve:<br/>- My BSP Extension (called zni) had no BSP Element Basis Class. After I filled this field with CL_BSP_ELEMENT (like in htmlb and the others) the syntax errors disappeared.<br/><br/>But the second problem I cannot solve:<br/>- When executing a page with the <zni:sessionLoader> an exception CX_SY_REF_IS_INITIAL is thrown. The point is at the call of mc_runtime:<br/><br/>  relax_script = mc_runtime->get_domain_relax_script( ).<br/><br/>In debugger I can see that mc_runtime is initial. Is there something missing or is our SP34 the problem??<br/><br/>Hope for help!<br/><br/>Regards,<br/>Mathias<br/>

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to recreate the problem in my system SP42 when I didn't surround my extension with the htmlb:content tag.<br/><br/>Problem:<br/><%@page language="abap" %><br/><%@extension name="htmlb" prefix="htmlb" %><br/><%@extension name="ZKEG" prefix="ZKEG" %><br/><%-- <htmlb:content design="DESIGN2003" ><br/>     <htmlb:document><br/>     <htmlb:documentHead>  %><br/><ZKEG:sessionLoader TargetPage="index.do" /><br/><% </htmlb:documentHead><br/>     </htmlb:document><br/>     </htmlb:content>  --%><br/><br/>Works Fine:<br/><%@page language="abap" %><br/><%@extension name="htmlb" prefix="htmlb" %><br/><%@extension name="ZKEG" prefix="ZKEG" %><br/><htmlb:content design="DESIGN2003" ><br/>  <htmlb:document><br/>    <htmlb:documentHead><br/>      <ZKEG:sessionLoader TargetPage="index.do" /><br/>    </htmlb:documentHead><br/>  </htmlb:document><br/></htmlb:content>

Mathias_24
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yep, that's it!Mathias

SergioFerrari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks a lot for the weblog.

Just to know:
  if you work with firefox and you just close the Tab where BSP is running, the session is not deleted.
  If you close the firefox window it works.

Sergio
Former Member
0 Kudos
Wow two firefox comments in as many days.  This little browser is really starting to catch on.  Unfortunetly as I found in my BTF weblog, BSP support for Firefox isn't quite there yet.  I'm not really suprised that there was a problem with Firefox.  Mozilla and IE have always differed on their implementation of the onUnload event.  However I do now have the Firefox browser installed and I will try to do some testing with in my weblogs.

On a side note, as I tested with Firefox I had to remove my htmlb:content tag from my hosting page.  I then got dumps because me->mc_runtime was initial.  If anyone runs into this problem, it can be fixed by adding the following code to the beginning of the DO_AT_BEGINNING method.

IF me->mc_runtime IS INITIAL.
    me->mc_runtime  = m_page_context->get_runtime( ).
  ENDIF.
SergioFerrari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Fortunately it is now possible to install the “User Agent Switcher 0.6.1” Firefox extensions (from the menu: Tools – Options – Extensions – Get New Extensions).
You can say to firefox to present itself as IE 6 o NN7..

Have also a look in the BSP Forum the the thread titled "Browsers different from IE 6 and NN 7 produce dumps with DESIGN2003"

Sergio
johan_winkelmans
Explorer
0 Kudos
Many webappications require some URL parameters to initialize the application. The ITSM application forces each application to use default.htm as the start page, so any URL parameter has to be handled by the default.htm page.
When you add a page attribute to the default.htm page and you put code in the Oninitialization handler of this page to put the value of the parameter in an attribute of the application class, sessions will not be killed anymore when the parameter is used in the URL.
Is there a solution for this problem?
Former Member
0 Kudos
Actually I don't have any applications that have that situation.  I have applications that receive URL Parameter, but they all happen to be stateless.  So you will have to give me a little bit to try and recreate this situation.  I will be out at the ASUG Conference next week, so there may be some delay.  If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to chime in.

Just off the cuff, you might be able to create a single stateless page that actually accepts the URL parameters.  This page could then write the values into a Server Cookie and then redirect you to the Default page (which is then stateful from that point forward).  You could have a little rountine in Default to load these values from the Server Cookie and into your application class.  I will have to play with this a little however.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

I am trying to trouble-shoot a "strange" problem we are having with a BSP application running from our portal. I see you mentioned that "strange" things may happen if you try handling session states in the BSP as well as from the portal itself. We have a situation (that we cannot duplicate) where a user's appraisal gets updated with the values from their subordinate's appraisal. We don't see this as being an application logic error.

We are at a loss and thought I would bounce this off you.

Regards,
Calvin
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

I am trying to trouble-shoot a "strange" problem we are having with a BSP application running from our portal. I see you mentioned that "strange" things may happen if you try handling session states in the BSP as well as from the portal itself. We have a situation (that we cannot duplicate) where a user's appraisal gets updated with the values from their subordinate's appraisal. We don't see this as being an application logic error.

We are at a loss and thought I would bounce this off you.

Regards,
Calvin
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
It is difficult to say from just the description.  Usually state management errors will cause you to lose your session state unexpectedly.  I wouldn't expect information under the wrong person unless they share the same PC - then that might be a possibility.  Debugging as the problem happens is probably still the best way to determine exactly how this is happening, but that doesn't sound as though that will be possible since you can't recreate the situation.  In situations like this, I used to add a little extra tracing (adding extra logic to log data to a custom Z-table) temporarily to narrow things down.
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
It is difficult to say from just the description.  Usually state management errors will cause you to lose your session state unexpectedly.  I wouldn't expect information under the wrong person unless they share the same PC - then that might be a possibility.  Debugging as the problem happens is probably still the best way to determine exactly how this is happening, but that doesn't sound as though that will be possible since you can't recreate the situation.  In situations like this, I used to add a little extra tracing (adding extra logic to log data to a custom Z-table) temporarily to narrow things down.
Former Member
0 Kudos

I've tried your solution!  It is still not working for me.  I am running a function to call a BSP Page.  I have added an Exit button to the page.  I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer as the browser.  Whether I close out of the browser or hit the Exit button the session doesn't terminate and still runs in the back ground.  Any help would be appreciated plz.

Let me know if you need any additional info from me.

Thanks,
Sarah
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I would start by testing the SAP sample application ITSM. Is it clearing your session?  If so then you know there is not a problem in the framework itself - there must just be some problem with the way that you are trigging the 1x1 hack.
0 Kudos
Hi
In a stateful BSP, When a user clicks on the same URL as the one used for the current session, a new transaction lock is created, and exists right up to the point where call_view is executed, then he lock disappears.
The session handling is correctly executed for the old session.
The bsp is being called from the crm webclient.

Your comments appreciated.