Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALV grid - ASSERT dump

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Got a real tricky one here. I have a report which displays an ALV grid (using class CL_GUI_ALV_GRID) and a toolbar button which allows the user to aggregate the report based on the sort criteria. However, when I perform the aggregate it throws an ASSERTION_FAILED short-dump in method TRANSMIT_PACKET of CL_DATAPTABLECACHE. The oddity is that it only does this in certain cases (seems to depend on the data selected) and also only in the live system and not in Dev or QA!

I've trawled the OSS notes and there seem to be a couple relating to this issue.... these OSS notes however, are already applied and so I'm baffled as to what is causing this problem. Don't even mention debugging as it won't let me... the dump gets thrown immediately on a call to the GET_FRONTEND_FIELDCATALOG method of CL_GUI_ALV_GRID before it even gets chance to execute the code of the method!

FYI - the OSS notes were 1053399, 829505 and 798347.

Hope someone can help cos this is driving me mad!

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to let everyone know. I managed to solve this by shifting the call to the get fieldcatalog function to somewhere earlier in the code. It seems to do the trick but I have no idea why?!?!

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I am also facing exactly the same issue in Production ( In Development and Quality, it is fine).

Can you provide me the details what you had done exactly to rectify it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vamsee

0 Kudos

I am able to rectify the issue. There is no technical reason to behave like this. I have gone through documentation and very rarely with huge amount of data these kind of issues arise and so it is not so consistent.

If any body faces the same issue, then just instead of passing the final internal table, declare one more internal table and transfer the data from old to new and pass the new to the Function Module and it works.

Regards,

Vamsee Kundurthi

0 Kudos

Hi,

the problem occurs when you use the same table for more

set_table_for_first_display, reallocating the content before each run.

To resolve this you must use a different table for each set_table_for_first_display.

Regards,

Rocco

sap_rocks
Participant
0 Kudos

In my case the dump appeared due to reference data within the global content table not being filled/referenced though fieldcatalog stated the field to be displayed.

E.g. fieldcatalog with field "instance" of type of a class and content table didn't supply any values/references for the related fields.