Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set CURR fields to scrollable in screen painter

fabianlupa
Contributor

In S/4HANA currency amount field lengths in FI were extended to 23.2. Currently being on ERP and trying to be upwards compatible I am developing things using the new length. On dynpros however I want to display the field smaller so they don't take up to whole screen. With text fields you can do that using the scrollable feature and having defined length be longer than visible length. I cannot get the scrollable checkbox to not be grayed out for CURR fields though. I can only change the defined length. Which would result in shortdumps when the variable has a values using the new length and also forces the modified flag to be set I think. According to note 2628714 this is possible though and they even attached a screenshot of the screen painter where it works.

Was "scrollable" somehow patched in for CURR fields in some release? I have never seen it mentioned in the ABAP language release notes where this should have been if that were the case. Or does the output length need to be adjusted in the domain?

The F1 help for scrollable mentions CURR fields not being scrollable (checked on 740SP20 and 752SP04):

Screen painter for me for RF05V-AZSAL (scrollable is grayed out):

Screen painter according to note 2628714 (scrollable checked, visible length less than defined length):

I also had a look at how generated selection screens deal with this. But they don't use the CURR type for the dynpro field.

7 REPLIES 7

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

To help people who want to know more globally about Amount Field Length Extension (the one you mention being 2628714 "User Interface Adaptations"), here they are - the starting point is the note 2628654:

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

I tried to look as far as I could, and my conclusion is that either a patch is provided at a release level (no SAP note/I checked in the SAP Cloud demo system --dynpro code is still present...-- where a recent note (2831558) is applied, there's no change around the "scrollable" restriction), or it just doesn't work at all. If I were you, I would immediately copy/paste your question into a customer message at SAP support.

fabianlupa
Contributor

sandra.rossi Thanks for looking into this. I opened an incident and will update once there is a response.

fabianlupa
Contributor

sandra.rossi I received a response to the incident. According to it the feature of rollable CURR fields in dynpros is not available on any release. The screenshots in note 2628714 apparently are "wrong".

?!?!

I'll respond that this doesn't make sense to me and if this were indeed not available it's not a case of missing documentation but wrong and misleading documentation that needs to be corrected.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback! Funny SAP answer! 🙂

fabianlupa
Contributor

The incident is now closed. The screenshot is wrong, the text is correct according to SAP. The feature is only available for PACKED not CURR. Making it totally useless in my opinion since PACKED does not have currency specific output conversion logic (like decimal places for JPY for example).

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
Fabian Lupa Thanks! I guess you could turn your comment into an answer.

So, the "amount" fallback strategy does not work for CURR fields, well designed 🙂 It should not be called a "fallback strategy", but just a "workaround". At least, a DEC field would display 1,000,000,000.00 instead of just 1,000,000,000 for JPY, I guess it's acceptable to have useless cents for a few fields whose output length cannot be extended...