Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get parameters with if_oo_adt_classrun

fabianlupa
Contributor

I am looking for a way to request parameters from the user in ABAP console applications using the interface IF_OO_ADT_CLASSRUN. As far as I know that is just not implemented. However, in the importing parameter out of the main method an object reference to if_oo_adt_classrun_out is supplied which in addition to the normally used write method also has an undocumented get method. According to my testing it is non functional though.

Is there any way to parameterize ABAP console applications? We have an ABAP training program and would like to replace the classic calculator report task with a class using ADT that is cloud ready some time in the future. That doesn't seem possible though at the moment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello,

For the time being, the ABAP Console of ADT supports only a notepad style output without any options for input. The mentioned GET method is for getting the output in a string.

Enabling input would require an ABAP Console in ADT's embedded HTML browser. and a respective new ADT-REST-channel to handle the traffic.

With the upcoming releases 2308 (Cloud) and 2023 (OnPrem) a POC (Proof of Concept) for such a feature will be delivered for the demonstration classes of the ABAP Keyword Documentation (most existing demonstration programs - "reports" - were transformed to classes), where the browser window of the documentation is used for CL_DEMO_INPUT/CL_DEMO_OUTPUT.

Extending that concept - usage of the full HTML-power of CL_DEMO_INPUT/CL_DEMO_OUTPUT - also for Z-programs is under discussion.

With the upcoming release, at least one stage is already reached: IF_OO_ADT_CLASSRUN calls CL_DEMO_OUTPUT now instead of using an old copy of its implementation and you can display all kind of complex data.

Alas, in notepad style only.

An HTML console would be more fun - nice output and enabling input:

Maybe, the community can help us here?

5 REPLIES 5

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello,

For the time being, the ABAP Console of ADT supports only a notepad style output without any options for input. The mentioned GET method is for getting the output in a string.

Enabling input would require an ABAP Console in ADT's embedded HTML browser. and a respective new ADT-REST-channel to handle the traffic.

With the upcoming releases 2308 (Cloud) and 2023 (OnPrem) a POC (Proof of Concept) for such a feature will be delivered for the demonstration classes of the ABAP Keyword Documentation (most existing demonstration programs - "reports" - were transformed to classes), where the browser window of the documentation is used for CL_DEMO_INPUT/CL_DEMO_OUTPUT.

Extending that concept - usage of the full HTML-power of CL_DEMO_INPUT/CL_DEMO_OUTPUT - also for Z-programs is under discussion.

With the upcoming release, at least one stage is already reached: IF_OO_ADT_CLASSRUN calls CL_DEMO_OUTPUT now instead of using an old copy of its implementation and you can display all kind of complex data.

Alas, in notepad style only.

An HTML console would be more fun - nice output and enabling input:

Maybe, the community can help us here?

Hello Horst,

thanks for the detailed response! The cl_demo_classrun POC you teased looks great would be more than sufficient for me. Even if it were to only run in non productive clients as I only need it for training purposes. I'll just wait for the new release then and use cl_demo_output and cl_demo_input onpremise in the SE24 test environment embedded in eclipse for now...

I also thought about implementing the functionality myself but with ADT you always also need to provide an eclipse plugin which is somewhat of a hurdle in development and consumption.+

-Fabian

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

" but with ADT you always also need to provide an eclipse plugin which is somewhat of a hurdle in development and consumption"

'xactly. That's the reason why we from ABAP Keyword Documentation cannot do it by ourselves.

We can do anything in ABAP classic but are restricted in ABAP strict ...

0 Kudos

Speaking of restricted... surely CL_DEMO_CLASSRUN will be released for cloud development? And executable via F9 instead of being restricted to only be executable from the keyword documentation, right? ....right?

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Little by little, the bird builds its nest.