Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to declare a fully typed field-symbol based on TYPE REF TO DATA parameter ?

Rodrigo-Giner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Folks, this is driving me crazy, can someone enlight me.

I have this code

Definition

Class-Methods: validate_data IMPORTING t_data TYPE REF TO DATA.

Implementation

METHOD validate.
  TYPES: type_ztabname TYPE TABLE OF ztabname.
  FIELD-SYMBOLS: <fully_typed_table> TYPE type_ztabname.
  ASSIGN t_data->* TO <fully_typed_table>.
* then it uses <fully_typed_table>-fieldname because the field-symbol is fully typed
* validations
ENDMETHOD.

This is in a class with lots of method just like this one (one for each table they want to validate)

I want to change it and make it better creating a subclass for each table than inherit from an Asbtract class where I pass the table name to the constructor and in each method I can deal with the data without having to repeat the table again .

The problem is that I can't find a way to have a fully type <fs_table> in the method without defineing the type in the same scope. I know the tablename (I pass it to the constructor) I don't want in each method declare the type with again the same table name. But also I need the <fully_typed_table> to be fully typed. I cant change all the <fully_typed_table>-fieldname.

FIELD-SYMBOLS: <fully_typed_table> TYPE (me->table_type). "me->table_type = 'ZTABNAME' 

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, sorry, but your <fully_typed_table> is not fully typed !

A table type fully typed (i.e. not generic) has to have a table category and a key. Example:

TYPES: type_ztabname TYPE STANDARD TABLE OF ztabname WITH EMPTY KEY.

With a type fully typed, you may create a typed data reference:

DATA ref_table TYPE REF TO type_ztabname.

And it's easier to work with:

METHOD validate.
  ref_table ?= t_data.
  LOOP AT ref_table->* REFERENCE INTO DATA(ref_line).
    DATA(fieldname) = ref_line->fieldname.
  ENDLOOP. 
ENDMETHOD.
4 REPLIES 4

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, sorry, but your <fully_typed_table> is not fully typed !

A table type fully typed (i.e. not generic) has to have a table category and a key. Example:

With a type fully typed, you may create a typed data reference:

DATA ref_table TYPE REF TO type_ztabname.

And it's easier to work with:

METHOD validate.
  ref_table ?= t_data.
  LOOP AT ref_table->* REFERENCE INTO DATA(ref_line).
    DATA(fieldname) = ref_line->fieldname.
  ENDLOOP. 
ENDMETHOD.

Rodrigo-Giner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, sandra.rossi. Yeah you are right, is not fully typed

What I was trying to ask is if there is a way to replace the bold part with the content of a variable, but now I realice that is just stupid because even if that would be possible the compiler would never know the structure until runtime so the use of <fs>-fieldname or ref_line->fieldname is impossible.

I just got burnout, my bad. nvm

0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback!

Please use the COMMENT button for comments, questions, adding details, replying to OP comment, etc., ANSWER is only to propose a solution, dixit SAP text at the right of the answer area.

nomssi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Here is my understanding of your design struggle:
  • You have a single validate routine working on data of different types dynamically.
  • You want to change it to a number of data types (classes) each overriding the method validate, i.e. many implementations of the same method.

I do not agree that this transformation makes it better. It depends on the context. Actually the first solution is canonical ABAP.

The second solution is easier in a functional language (like javascript) where you would pass a first class function to the validate method. In ABAP OO, I would suggest using an interface (strategy pattern) instead of your proposed subclassing (template pattern). It will be verbose as you have to objectify (create a class for <fully_typed_table>) and use at least a factory method to inject the object) instead of using dynamic data references.

my 2 cents

JNN