Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Class Method for all pre-existing Function Module?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am new to programming in ABAP, with Java background. When I was learning ABAP, I understand that SAP has the intention to shift programing from the traditional procedural programming paradigm using report program, BAPI, function module, sub-routine to the more modern Object Oriented Programming (OOP) with ABAP objects. As the adopter of the latter concept, I wonder if there is a corresponding class method for all the pre-existing function modules?

6 REPLIES 6

former_member156446
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not that I know of

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Francis,

I don't believe there are exactly corresponding classes/methods for all existing function modules. But there are lots of classes that can replace old FMs.

I always try to find classes whenever I need one. But sometimes I still have to use some old FMs. But maybe that's just lack of knowledge from me.

Regards,

Thales Schmidt

0 Kudos

Hi Thales and saroj das

Thanks for your answer. Pardon for asking this "newbie will ask" question: How then can I try to find the corresponding class/ method for the function module?

I have been using the following methods, but I am unaware if they are sufficient, or even correct to begin with:

1. Google online

This is the most useful thus far, as many of the SCN topic give me a hint of the method that I can use, and with a bit of research I get the suitable method I want.

2. Try to search for the class that it will represent using the wild card

For example 'cl*zip*' get me to find out more about the 2 zip class, "CL_ABAP_ZIP SAP" and "CL_ABAP_GZIP". I get lucky with this for once or twice, but most of the time I know the functionality of the method, but I don't know which class contain such methods.

0 Kudos

Hi Francis,

Yeah, I think this is the best way to search for the methods. I do the same thing.

Regards,

Thales Schmidt

0 Kudos

You could also search thru OSS notes (https://support.sap.com/notes) also sometimes classes are in same package (or another package of same application, SE80 is your friend) and often the class call the FM (*) or share some common sub-objects (so where-used search)

Regards,

Raymond

(*) Long (long) time ago I discovered CL_GUI_FRONTEND_SERVICES thru a where-used of GUI_UPLOAD...

0 Kudos

NO, there are no corresponding class  and methods for  every function module.. but there a many number of class and methods which could achieve the same work instead of function module.