Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding ABAP person working in migration project

0 Kudos

Hello friends and seniors,

I have been working as an SAP ABAP Consultant for par 2 and a half years.

Now that i switched my job,In the new company they have given me work related to data migration.

Our area of work is Creating LSMW's BDC's and loading the data and testing the lsmws created

for functionality and data conversion.I just had a small query.Nowhere in the  last 3 to 4 months I have used high end ABAP

in this project.So my question is whether ABAP consultants are involved in migration of data?

Do they perform the data loading or functionals have to do that?I am afraid as it is affectiion my ABAP profile currently

As I am just updating excel sheets and loading them and doing functional end testing also.

Please seniors help me and I need a proper advice regarding this whether i should continue taking this experience also whether

migration experience would be of any help to ABAP or not? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For me as abapper I was exactly in same position as you. I created LSMW, and bdc programs etc and eventually have gone more the data migration route. The thing is now that i can only apply for data migration jobs and not abap because while the abappers have been writing code, and creating web dynpros, etc. i have been creating LSMWs.

So you have to decide now which route you want to go in my opinion. Just my opinion, I may be worng, but this has been my very exact same experience. People looking at my cv call me for data jobs and no longer abap.

It also depends how much LSMW you are doing. If you are doing mostly abap and 1 or 2 LSMWs here and there then it is not bad experience to have, but if it is taking up your daily workload then you probably will have to make a choice.

Hope that helps.

7 REPLIES 7

former_member185613
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Data migration projects are mainly executed by the functional consultants rather than by the technical folks. Ofcourse it would require technical anlysis in cases of error/dump which can not be resolved by functional team.

Migration project experiance is good in the sense that you get to learn new functionalities and aspects (functional/technical) like LSMW, BDCs, IDOCs, area specific tables etc.. So one/two times exposure is good but not in the long run.

Hope this helps,

~Athreya

0 Kudos

Thanx athreya for your insightful answer

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For me as abapper I was exactly in same position as you. I created LSMW, and bdc programs etc and eventually have gone more the data migration route. The thing is now that i can only apply for data migration jobs and not abap because while the abappers have been writing code, and creating web dynpros, etc. i have been creating LSMWs.

So you have to decide now which route you want to go in my opinion. Just my opinion, I may be worng, but this has been my very exact same experience. People looking at my cv call me for data jobs and no longer abap.

It also depends how much LSMW you are doing. If you are doing mostly abap and 1 or 2 LSMWs here and there then it is not bad experience to have, but if it is taking up your daily workload then you probably will have to make a choice.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

Thanks for you reply @glen sir The thing is functionals are barely doing any work apart from providing mappings and test data and that too is incorrect in most cases.We are laoding data using hit and trial method since we are abapers.Our lead manager says this project would be handled by technical people single handedly .IIs this correctAll I am doing is create lsmws and not even bdc or bapis program since client has specified explicitly that only lsmws to be used.Should i ask for release since my abap profile is getting affected.I have started forgetting ABAP technical and fucntional concepts .All i do is create lsmws ,create files do mapping and make random select queries on will of clients that too for valiation only.No BAPIS No Exits No BADIS no enhancment ,in short its not an abap project.I am thinking of leaving the company.Please suggest .

0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Data migration is handled by both technical and functional people. I have been in some companies where the technical people create the lsmw's (also in lsmw there is place to enter abap code so this can only be tech anyway), and then the functional people execute the lsmw object which the technical people give them. The creation of lsmw's is always done by technical team.

As for resigning it depends on a couple of things. How long is this lsmw project? If it is only 6 months long and you are going to be in the company for some years then this will look good on your CV added to your abap. But if it is going to be longer and you are getting no opportunity to do abap stuff, and you really want to do abap then you should maybe chat to yor manager about distributing the workload differently so that you can also develop stuff.

Your other option is to develop stuff on your own in your spare time i.e. decide yourself what could be a useful webdynpro, then write this down, design it a bit, and then code it. Then you can always in an interview say that you created a webdynpro with roadmap etc. etc. as you want.

rajkumarnarasimman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Data migration basically done by functional person.

If I am in your position, If the second company offers to do functional work like configurations in any specific domain, in that case I choose to stay in the same to learn the business functionalities.

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

You are right Even I thought this at first but since last 4 months we dont even have authorizations for configurations and strictly limited to lsmws and display related transactions.So that learning is not possible.Infact there is no business process provided.We are working as and when we get a particular input for an entity like vendor master or material master.As a technical person I want to move to UI5 and Fiori practice.Hence i said my profile is getting affected.We cannot touch any transaction without client permission since it sis being monitored on remote server.

Please suggest a way.