Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Parallel Batch Jobs - Performance Issues

0 Kudos

We have implemented performance optimization techniques for a custom SAP program. The performance improvement was 400% better in the quality environment where as the same program while running in production does not show any improvements.

In production the program is being executed with multiple variants within the same timeframe ie: all the batch jobs are running in parallel.

At the backend through the same program, all these batch jobs are trying to hit the same database table VBAP (Non Hana) at the same time and later performs a BDC after that.

Additionally any other factors which needs to be considered and why the production environment is not showing any improvements.

2 REPLIES 2

0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

As per my knowledge I am sharing my thoughts below.

Any one correct me if I am wrong.

We can divide the report logic into two parts

1. Querying : Which fetches the data from DB tables.(Ex : Select queries)

2. Processing: Which process the internal tables ( Ex: Read, Loop and so on)

Queying part can't execute paralally in all jobs(on same DB table) but processing part can.

In your report If the time taken for querying is greater than the time taken for processing, you won't find much difference. Because while job1 is selecting data from VBAP other jobs's select queres have to wait till job1's querying part is completed and same will be applicable for the rest of jobs.

The data will be high in production compared to quality. Hence querying time will also be high in production.

Scenario : Querying time greater than processing time

Scenario : Querying time less than processing time

0 Kudos

I am not sure if SAP locks the database table while doing the read operation. Also this is still not clear if the user is accessing Database table VBAP and the same user is accessing the same database table VBAP through same custom program at the same time, then the second select statement has to wait until the first select on VBAP is completed.

If any one has faced similar issue in the past? Kindly comment.