Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap connector Vs Odata

srahemi
Participant
0 Kudos

hi

I want sent my data to .net application

Sap connector or Odata? Which performance is better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Sina,

As you were asking about .NET I assume you refer to .NET Connector and not Cloud Connector. Whether OData or NCo using RFC is the batter approach depends heavily on the use case. For UI scenarios, OData is often the better choice, for app 2 app integration and if you need to support many releases RFC is typically better as APIs have been provided for many years already. Furthermore, for high volume data RFC provides a (much) better performance, in particular, if the backend already supports fast serialization mode of RFC.

Best regards,
Markus

3 REPLIES 3

yogananda
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

srahemi

It depends on the specific use case. Generally speaking, OData is a better choice for performance, as it is a standardized protocol that is optimized for data access. Sap Cloud Connector is a proprietary solution that is optimized for integration with SAP systems.(Onprem to Cloud or Cloud to On-prem)

Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Do you have any proof of that? I would say exactly the opposite:

"Generally speaking, RFC is a better choice for performance, as it is a specialized protocol that is optimized for data access."

And I assume that with "SAP connector" the author means "SAP .NET Connector", which is specialized/optimized for integrating with Microsoft .NET applications. Not "SAP Cloud Connector", because a Cloud Connector is used for sending data from a Cloud application to an on-premise system, but not to a .NET application.

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Sina,

As you were asking about .NET I assume you refer to .NET Connector and not Cloud Connector. Whether OData or NCo using RFC is the batter approach depends heavily on the use case. For UI scenarios, OData is often the better choice, for app 2 app integration and if you need to support many releases RFC is typically better as APIs have been provided for many years already. Furthermore, for high volume data RFC provides a (much) better performance, in particular, if the backend already supports fast serialization mode of RFC.

Best regards,
Markus