Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TYPES OF ALVS

0 Kudos

I couldn't find anything about difference between types of alvs.

For example,

What is difference between reuse* and lvc.

What is there anything we can not do with reuse* functions instead of lvc?

ALso, is there anything we can not do with lvc instead of class alv?

Most of people said that all of them are same. If it is so , why they need different kind of alv.?

I know using class alv is better .

even so i want to know what reuse, lvc and oo alv are provide us except others can't, What is difference between them.

I hope I explain myself clearly.

Pls help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matt
Active Contributor

It's a design decision. The FM were created for people who were scared of even using ABAP-OO. I use CL_GUI_ALV_GRID when I want complete control, but for most purposes use CL_SALV_TABLE because it's quick and simple.

The FMs are old fashioned. Don't use them- they're clunky and your code isn't as clean as it could be. If you can't do it with CL_SALV_TABLE; use CL_GUI_ALV_GRID. If you're unable to use that, then perhaps better become a functional consultant.

5 REPLIES 5

p244500
Active Contributor

Hi,

I think you may missed to search , help.sap.com . You should read SAP GUI Technology and SAP List Viewer then you will understand it.

Finally ALV Grid Control

0 Kudos

I'm sure that the question is not answered in the documentation!

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

I already told you last week, concerning your question "Most of people said that all of them are same. If it is so , why they need different kind of alv", that they are different, they were developed by SAP at different moments, some people use old ones or new ones for no specific reason, it's just what they found and what they could make it work.

Could you tell us why you are so interested by this question? I'm sure that would help us better answer.

PS: I doubt anyone did some extended tests to list the differences between each kind of ALV API...

matt
Active Contributor

It's a design decision. The FM were created for people who were scared of even using ABAP-OO. I use CL_GUI_ALV_GRID when I want complete control, but for most purposes use CL_SALV_TABLE because it's quick and simple.

The FMs are old fashioned. Don't use them- they're clunky and your code isn't as clean as it could be. If you can't do it with CL_SALV_TABLE; use CL_GUI_ALV_GRID. If you're unable to use that, then perhaps better become a functional consultant.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

The moderation team received a report that this is a duplicate of https://answers.sap.com/questions/12914439/difference-between-reuse-alv-grid-display-and-reus.html, and Sandra does indicate that she tried answering last week. Therefore, I have closed the other question, linking to this one. In future, instead of opening a new question on the same or similar topic, please continue the conversation in the initial question using comments. For example, Sandra asked, "Could you tell us why you are so interested by this question? I'm sure that would help us better answer." If you're able to respond to that here -- instead of spreading the conversation across multiple threads -- you might get the answer you're looking for, and we can close the question. Then, should anyone have a similar question in future, they'll find the answer here (not needing to sort through different questions on the same topic). Thanks!

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!