Beginner Corner Blog Posts
Share your stories, ideas, and insights here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When asking Christopher, about his feedback regarding his daughters participation in the “HTML Beginners” course in 2020, he said they were “so enthusiastic that they spent also the evenings in front of the computer and learned diligently and with fun”. Christopher is only one of many parents who praised the SAP IT-Camps in 2020 for their good work on helping youngsters take their first steps in the world of IT.

As part of the Young Thinkers and University Alliances Team, the IT-Camps 4 Youngsters invite children from different age groups (starting at the age of 😎 to participate in various courses, even if they have not had any first-hand experience with programming. The IT-Camps are dedicated to educating children in a fun and entertaining environment. Therefore there is always time to spare for personal get-together and fun activities within the offered courses. On the last day, parents and siblings are invited to the presentation of the course results.

2020 Recap

Although 2020 made the team around the SAP IT-Camps face many struggles, they worked on a lot of possibilities and came up with the best solutions, for the IT-Camps to run successfully within a virtual classroom. From the description of process changes, to the enhancement of tools and the eventual requirements for a virtual course set-up, the team around the IT-Camps has excelled in every aspect and has even opened up new doors to expand the IT-Camps 4 Youngsters. The online classroom experiences have given many children all around Germany the opportunity to participate, and even language changes in the course are being prepared for a global rollout.

Overall, more than 300 youngsters participated in one or more of the 15 virtual IT-Camp course weeks and demonstrated with their projects in an impressive way how good virtual learning is possible. In addition, more than 85% of participants provided best ratings for virtual concept and set-up, including the learning material, exercises and video instructions.

The result of 55% who voted the positive learning experience exceeded their expectations makes us very proud and compensates the tireless work of the IT-Camps Team.

Outlook 2021

With the start of registrations for the IT-Camp course offers for 2021 on January 11, many courses were already fully booked minutes later, but there are still remaining places. Registration on waiting list is also worthwhile to state that there is more interest. We are following the wish of many participants with the offering of classroom courses in summer with limited seats. If the circumstances do not allow this, we will switch to virtual formats – which then will be open for more participants from all SAP locations in Germany.

Furthermore, the IT-Camps 4 Youngsters are currently working on the framework for a global rollout, and are planning a pilot program for this summer, in order to make the IT-Camps accessible for more children from SAP employees.
4 Comments
mmcisme1
Active Contributor
Very nice. If the course work is already developed, I wouldn't mind giving one for my area too.  If it is a success, you might want to think about doing some training for the SAP Community.   I bet - if work permits - you would have more than one volunteer.

I would have loved that in my day.  I believe my son would have liked it too.
0 Kudos
Thanks for you interest and the suggestion 🙂 I will pass this on to the IT-Camps Team. Make sure to stay tuned for the global rollout.
christiane_bauer
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Wow this sounds like a great idea Michelle!

Happy to welcome you as Young Thinkers ambassador if you are interested just  join our Young Thinkers community.

mmcisme1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
OK - it's early yet.   I'm getting an error.

"AADSTS90072: User account 'michelle.crapo@mcness.com' from identity provider 'https://sts.windows.net/536d0118-1d0f-4c31-9c88-e33e5001aa72/' does not exist in tenant 'SAP SE' and cannot access the application '5e3ce6c0-2b1f-4285-8d4b-75ee78787346'(Microsoft Teams Web Client) in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account"