Beginner Corner Discussions
Reach out to instructors, professors, SAP experts or your peers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTP

Teeee08
Newcomer

Why does there need to be a DTP between the DataSource and the DataStore (Fields)? Why does there need to be another DTP between the DataSource to the DataStore (InfoObjects)?  

2 REPLIES 2

David_Chaviano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @Teeee08 ,

My rudimentary knowledge is telling me that anything coming out of the DataSource needs to undergo a Data Transfer Process at least once for the data to be usable / understandable for people. 

@MarkGreen - are you able to comment further here? 

MarkGreen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @Teeee08 ,

You asked two questions:

1) Why does there need to be a DTP between the DataSource and the DataStore (Fields)? 
A DTP carries the loading parameters, such as filters, semantic grouping, error control and also handles the request number generation. It is mandatory to provide a DTP to link a DataSource to a DataStore Object (field-based or InfoObject-based). 
2) Why does there need to be another DTP between the DataSource to the DataStore (InfoObjects)?  
This time you refer to a DataStore Object (InfoObject-based). The answer is the same as above. Unless you are asking why you need 2 DTPs? If that is the case, you don't. You just need one DTP. It doesn't matter if your DataStore Object is based on InfoObjects or fields or a mixture of both. Only one DTP is needed.

In case you have further questions about detailed BW/4HANA product feature/functions, I think a better place to post is the SAP Learning Group to reach a wider audience, instead of the Beginner Corner. 
Hope this helps.
Mark