Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celebrating International Pi Day

Lou_Owens
Associate
Associate

Do you like numbers? Mathematics? Are you a lover of formulas? Maybe you are passionate about mathematical constants? If you have an interest in numbers, you'll surely be interested in International Pi Day. Today, Pi is celebrated - the coolest constants. It is one of the first, if not the first constant we learn.

With this special constant you can calculate the area of a circle (A = π r²), or perimeter (circumference) using 2πr. Pi itself is derived from the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. The number produced is 3.14 or 22/7, and has been around for about 4000 years.

It has captured poets, mathematicians, artists, historians, and with people memorizing and reciting the number of digits for world records, which is currently at 70,000 digits. Pi is also evident in nature, in fact it can be also be calculated from measuring winding rivers. For me Pi is a magical constant.

So back to the first question, what are your favorite numbers/formulas/constants?

And to throw in an old pun - what is your favorite pie? (mine's apple 😊).

Looking forward to hearing from you in the comments below.

4 REPLIES 4

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

Happy Pi Day.

I like pumpkin pie, but only around Thanksgiving.  Pumpkin pie cheesecake is good too.

0 Kudos

You know I have never tried pumpkin pie, but I would really like to 🙂 

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

mmm-pie.gif

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

International Pi day is a stretch given 3/14 is a US format of the date but I do celebrate it by thinking about pi for 3.14 seconds. 

Fruit mince pies are more of a Christmas thing and the Four and Twenty pie that you would get at the MCG is also a nice pie if meat pies and gristle are your thing.