Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greetings, LEGO builders - part II

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

The new Coffee Corner obviously needs a new LEGO thread 😄 The big news in that department recently is that the largest set ever is no longer the Colosseum. The new number one is the Titanic. It's a really gorgeous set and it's huge. 9090 pieces in the (very large) box and the finished model is 135 cm long. Unfortunately, the price tag is equally huge: $629.99

Here's a picture of the set:

LEGO Titanic set

58 REPLIES 58

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm still debating the type writer to be honest. Not sure I even have room for that let alone the Titanic! 

0 Kudos

I'm not getting this one; it's just too big. Looks very nice, though.

Space is definitely an issue. I've room for only this one up by my desk.

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 13.34.36.png

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Are they pictures of disassembled apple gear or actual disassembled electronics? Either way I love them. I know, not lego... 🙂

0 Kudos

Actual tech 🙂 

@Ian_Thain is to blame for the obsession lol

0 Kudos

Lego has a typewriter?!  I'll have to go find that one.  

anne-petteroe
Community Manager
Community Manager

I still need a bigger flat with room for a separate Lego room LOL, I want both the Taj Mahal and the huge Millennium Falcon. 

In the meantime I enjoy the Brickheadz series.
Baby Yoda from the Mandalorian set is sooooo cute. Next up will be the Minions Brickheadz sets. 

IMG_7562.jpeg

I really like the Brickheadz too. I've got a couple of Marvel ones and the Venkman and Slimer Ghostbusters one 🙂

Speaking of room, I've got a new desktop PC at home, which has what I consider a major design flaw: Unlike my old machine, the top of the case is not flat, so I can't place a LEGO set there 😄

Nice, these are pretty cool. I also have a chronic shortage of storage and display space for large sets. The Brickheadz are nice and small, so I have no excuse not to get at least the Mandalorian set 😋

I have... yeah a bit of a problem you could say, when it comes to Star Wars and Legos. The Falcon weighs a little over 12K and I'm currently building the Star Destroyer (thinking hard about the AT-AT after, if I can figure out where to store it).I have... yeah a bit of a problem you could say, when it comes to Star Wars and Legos. The Falcon weighs a little over 12K and I'm currently building the Star Destroyer (thinking hard about the AT-AT after, if I can figure out where to store it).

DellSC
Active Contributor

My husband got me a lighted display cabinet for my Legos and a couple of other collections.  The top shelf has the Yellow Submarine, Lunar Landing Module, and Women of Space collection.

Yellow SubmarineYellow SubmarineLunar LanderLunar Lander

(I had to split it into two images to get it small enough to upload...)

-Dell

VXLozano
Active Contributor

But you know the lunar landing was fake, right? Everyone in this flat Earth know it...
I'm sorry, but as a TENTE kid, I had to troll this Lego thread.

0 Kudos

So does the class cabinet keep the dust off of them or is that just wishful thinking? I've even just noticed my Saturn V rocket is starting to "yellow" a little on the part that is hit by the sun 😞

DellSC
Active Contributor

Yes, it does keep most of the dust out.  We have cats and there is always fur and dander around - we have to vacuum and dust frequently - but it doesn't end up in the cabinet.

-Dell

A Lego cabinet is now on my wishlist 😊

abo
Active Contributor

I don't know, I feel the modern trend to make "sets" kind of detracts from the Lego experience. As a kid I had a mixed bag of bricks of all sorts, then it was up to me to make a ship or the door mechanism of a bus or .... whatever I could imagine and had the pieces for.

With sets you already know where you'll end up... to me it's a bit like assembling a puzzle without the additional effort 😛

DellSC
Active Contributor

As a kid, I would sneak into my brother's room and play with his Legos like that - my mom worked for a sporting goods store that sold toys, so he would get great sets for birthday and Christmas gifts.

I actually do a bit of both.  I have a couple of sets of random bricks that I mess with on occasion, plus I have sets that I build for display.

-Dell

0 Kudos

Agree, abo.  My kids had sets but then they all got dumped into a big tub after they assembled and tired of playing with the built set.  I still have a ton of dis-assembled sets in that tub in my basement.  

PeterMonaghan
Participant

I have totes full of broken sets that belonged to me (dating back to the late 70's) and modern sets belonging to my kids that is just screaming my name. I want to do it. I have to do it! But my sanity is resisting that urge...

0 Kudos

so, what approach do you think would even be feasible to sort and rebuild old sets?  Get a ton of storage drawers, sort the bricks and then start assembling by the oldest to the newest?  Lifetime project, I think!!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

I took my son to Lego club after school yesterday and they are just getting started with Lego Mindstorms. I think we are both hooked. I know what we are both asking for, for Christmas this year.
image.png

0 Kudos

Looks awesome!
So can expect a Lego Mindstorms API coming to Steampunk soon? 😄

enric101
Active Contributor

In my case I have combined two of my passions, lego and classic movie/series cars in small format (I don't have much space).

IMG_20211013_141951.jpg

I'd kudo this 10 times if I could! Are those kits or just you and random blocks?

0 Kudos

Oh no there goes my allowance 🙈

Nice DeLorean 😄

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

Raspberry-Pi-HAT.jpg

This new collaboration between Raspberry Pi and LEGO Education looks pretty cool:

"The Raspberry Pi Build HAT fits any Raspberry Pi with a 40-pin GPIO header and lets you control up to four LEGO® Technic™ motors and sensors from the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Portfolio, a flexible system with unlimited possibilities.

Build robust, intelligent machines that combine Raspberry Pi computing power with LEGO components."

There's a Python library available as well.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

And just like that, more of my money went to Adafruit 🙂 Looking forward to playing with this. Thanks for the idea!

martinstenzig
Contributor

I always try to keep my sons (and my old childhood) legos out of my office, but my wife got me this 'desk' size guy that I can use to play while listening to conference calls. 

Lego BeekeeperLego Beekeeper

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

The good people at LEGO insist on trying to ruin me... there's a new huge and very costly Star Wars AT-AT coming:

LEGO-AT-AT.png

The price tag (800 USD) is kinda ridiculous, but it is a very nice set of probably my favourite Star Wars vehicle. There's a Gizmodo article up with 8 good (sort of) arguments for spending the money 🙂

0 Kudos

I can safely look away, I’ve no room at for that - I have hinted at the Tron cycles and the 1950s Pickup truck for Christmas lol

Florian
Active Contributor

My desk is to small.. but my little mate made it toIMG_2510.jpg

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

My son is a big coaster enthusiast (coaster count ~250) so we got him this Lego (still waiting for the motor). Not quite 9090 pieces but still cool. Check out the cotton candy booths and the sea gulls.

994DA392-DBA1-4F53-B223-ED0EB1034EC4.jpeg

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn

0 Kudos

That is a really nice set! I'm guessing it took a good long while to build?

I actual thought -- hoping 😀 -- it would occupy him longer but it took maybe a couple of weeks, but he enjoys playing with it and running it since he wants to operate real coasters in the future

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn

martinstenzig
Contributor

Perfect timing, TechEd keynote is starting and son shows up and says "can you fix it please?" Lego TGVLego TGV 

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

Disappointing not to immediately see LOTR sets there.