Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your daily lie to your colleague's?

Janarthanan
Participant

Hai Cofee Corner...

How are you? How are you doing? 

I am fine is mostly used in office with everyone, but is it true?

What is your view buddy?

Cheers 

18 REPLIES 18

Former Member

Hi Janarthanan, 

I'm traveling and I'm in Moscow. 
I'm going back to the office for only half of this year. 

Every thing is fine 😉 

0 Kudos

Safe travels! Enjoy! Must be freezing! 

0 Kudos

Thanks for joining the discussion

Last two years working from home 😎. So alternatively I can use it, Everything is fine. 

mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Between the lines I sense a deeper reflection around the question "how are you?" here @Janarthanan so i'm sharing my view 🙂 In Germany, people tend to be honest if being asked this question, and I like that. The person asking this question might not always want to hear the truth, as I understood in some countries this question is being asked in almost any occasion, e.g. when you're entering a shop or really for any first contact as part of the etiquette. My first time in Australia I remember that I was even confused when people in a shop asked me this and I never knew what to respond (as in why does a stranger care how I'm doing?) until I learned "I'm fine" is all that's wanted in most cases. If you're not feeling fine, you might prefer to say "I'm okay" or "could be better " and that's fine too, it's then up to the other person to handle the answer 😄
I do that if it feels more accurate than "I'm fine". And if I ask "how are you?", I can handle the truth if someone is not just fine, but everyone is different and it's acceptable if people don't really want to know how you really are doing as it's an etiquette for many. 

Good points on the cultural nuances of asking "how are you?".

DellSC
Active Contributor

My standard comment if "I'm fine" doesn't fit is "I'm hanging in there."  Others I know use "I'm livin' the dream" in a sarcastic tone of voice.

0 Kudos

For years “hanging in there” was my go to response - with all the home office I’m actually not even sure I have a response or even get asked as often anymore….

0 Kudos

Thanks for joining the discussion, Happy to see your fantastic reply. Yes, very occasionally these alternate words are used. but you are right about how the other person handles it.

matt
Active Contributor

Perfectly true, when FINE is parsed as

• Frantic
  • Insecure
  • Neurotic
  • Exhausted

I'm not fine, by the way. 🙂

mmcisme1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry I have to say it....

Happy thoughts sent to you.   Not fine is not good.  And yes, there are days I'm not fine.  🌄

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

Sometimes I say "I'm super fantastic" - because once you say it, and they hear it, you both really feel better and have a smile on your face.

manfredKlein
Participant
0 Kudos

The most sarcastic answer to 'how are you?' I've ever heard was: 'Bah, §@&$ed is still boasted!'

vinwade
Participant

It's a toss up between, "I'll be done tomorrow" or "it's almost done"

Mandarab76
Explorer

If it is acceptable here to use the abbreviation, if asked, I will say, FUBAR.

mmcisme1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A person calls me with  a request for work that is a low priority.

The standard answer, "It will go onto a list to be prioritized later".  That's true.  Now here come the usual lie, "It most likely will be done later."

Sometimes that's not a lie.  It is on the list - it's just buried.   So I might sneak it in with a different change I'm making.  Sometimes....

patelyogesh
Active Contributor

Can we look at it later if I'm not available?
In five minutes, I have a meeting.
Do you mind if I call you back? I'm expecting another call.

😂 ouch, these are good examples! 

0 Kudos

Indeed they are 😎