Devtoberfest Discussions
Join in the conversations with your fellow participants, on anything and everything to do with Devtoberfest!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Build Cryptic Crossword – Can you complete it for 400 points?

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

This year's SAP Build cryptic crossword is much better, but also a little harder. All the answers are related somehow to SAP Build.

You can find all the clues, and a little background on cryptic puzzles, in this tutorial: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/devtoberfest2023-scavenger-cryptic.html

Grid.png

Remember, cryptics are slightly different from regular crosswords, in that clues are made to look like a single phrase or sentence but actually are made up of 2 parts: a definition (like regular crosswords) and then a part that tries to describe how the word is constructed/spelled.

Just enter the answers in the tutorial, no spaces, and see if you can complete the puzzle. If you have any questions or difficulties, post them here.

Good luck 😺

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn
88 REPLIES 88

SMaaLL
Participant

Wow!! It is interesing and difficult👍

babuilyas
Participant

Oops its more than expected!

Just open it each day and try to get 1 or 2 each time. All are basic ideas within SAP Build -- and there's 400 points toward a trip to California 😺

--------------

Marian_Zeis
Active Contributor

Thanks Daniel, that was a lot of fun and not easy!

Marian_0-1695720301630.png

Two things:
7 is going only accross, not down, so there are some fields they can be filled
21 is missing in the questions?

You really were able to do the puzzle? Kudos to you.

Thanks for letting me know about the missing clues. Insead of adding the clues to the puzzle, I simply provided the answers for free.

Grid2.png

The clue for LIST: Philistine has complex type (4)

The clue for SAP BTP: Our PAAS: SAP starts to be top producer (3,3)   

--------------

that is very generous of you 🙂

One time a policeman in Baltimore pulled me over for an illegal left turn, which I was confused about and I decided to fight it in court. At court, I questioned how I could have made an illegal left turn, and after thinking for a minute, the policeman realized he meant an to write on the ticket illegal RIGHT turn. But once he had made that mistake, even though he would have testified that I had made an illegal right turn just prior to the left turn, it was too late ... I was set free on a technicality (as I remember, to the amazement and delight of fellow drivers .in the courtroom).

Same here -- I meant to give you these as challenges but once I forgot the clues and released the puzzle, it was too late 😉

--------------

SMaaLL
Participant

Could you please check 18 down question? I don have it in the tutorial.

SMaaLL_0-1695726346717.png

0 Kudos

Well you got a freebie for you on that clue -- actually, that was an extra space for a clue I did not need. I republished to clarify.

Thanks for letting me know.

--------------

wommel
Explorer

Was quite difficult for me but a long walk with the dog helped a bit. I struggled especially with 5 and 4 but looking back I wonder why I didn't get 5 earlier ;-).

Anyhow what irritates me a bit is that I didn't get a new badge upon completion like with all the other tutorials/sessions.

If you didn't get one yet, you will get one early next week, along with all those points 🙂

--------------

SMaaLL
Participant

Is it possible to get help? It was difficult to find the correct answer for 2 😲

Yes, of course, and I will provide more help when the puzzle is officially released for week 3.

The clue is: Run with steam is how we run VCF function (7,5 – enter without space)

So you are looking for something with 2 words related to VCF. Go to the documentation for functions inside Visual Cloud Functions, which is just a single pagfe: https://help.sap.com/docs/build-apps/service-guide/functions

Since cryptic clues have 2 parts, we'll look at it this way:

• DEFINITION: I think it obvious so I'll tell you that definition is on the right side, and likely "how we run (a) VCF function"
  • PLAY ON WORDS: "Run with steam" is a a charade clue where the answer is broken down into smaller words. So we are looking for a word that means "run" and word that means "steam" put together to answer how we run a VCF function.

HTH 😺

--------------

Thanks I found it 👌

aancos_id2
Participant

Fun, but complicated if you don't speak English well 😉

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I will provide clues next week, when all the SAP Build puzzles are officially released as part of the overall Devtoberfest contest.

But work together, ask questions here, share ideas and clues with each other.

--------------

ElieH
Explorer

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the challenge. I did my best with the help of all the Development team. 

But...😂

ElieH_0-1695798066572.png

Put it away and come back to it, you have 3 more weeks, and ask your friends on the group here.

17 Down is a "hidden answers" clue, meaning that you can find the answer inside a word or a combination of words. Usually these are indicated by a word like "contains" or "is found". And think of something you can do within a process in SAP Build Process Automation.

Don't give up.

--------------

Thanks, found it 🙏

I'LL BE BACK...

ElieH_0-1695806752950.png

0 Kudos

dan_wroblewski_1-1695822566044.gif

--------------

hac
Explorer

Dan, can you also give a clue on this one ?

Information on old diet soda makes API definitions (4,3 – enter without space)

It is my last one !!!!! 😡😭🤧

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

This is also a charade clue made up of 2 other smaller words. You should know that Coca Cola's first attempt at a diet soda was done in 1963 ... the name of this brand is part of the answer to this clue. The answer to this clue is related to SAP Build Apps, where you make "API definitions"

--------------

Thank you. the 1963 brand was key!

0 Kudos

Thanks for your clue! 

0 Kudos

@Dan_Wroblewski  - Your clue helped me to complete the SAP Build Cryptic Crossword. It was a challenging one ("Coca Cola's first attempt at a diet soda was done in 1963 ...")

0 Kudos

Thanks @Dan_Wroblewski!
4 down was my last one and personally the hardest!
ALEJONO_0-1697393407349.png

0 Kudos

Thanks @Dan_Wroblewski !
4 down was my last one and among the hardests along with 13 across.

ALEJONO_0-1697394043403.png

VladiE
Participant

The hardest for me:  4 and 5 Down ... I'll be back

Cross.JPG

it's a concatenation of two words the first is a synonym for encrypt and the second sounds like jason 🙂 but normally you type it with capitals 🙂

I found IT! Thx 😍

Find it too !!!

0 Kudos

For 4, see my response below. Both 4 and 5 related to SAP Build Apps; number related to a JavaScript function

--------------

ElieH
Explorer

@Dan_Wroblewski 

This is the last crossword you do.
If you do another one, I will have to bring it to the next Jira Sprint of our teams.

ElieH_0-1695819475818.png

can you give some advice for the 4.Down

"Information on old diet soda makes API definitions (4,3 – enter without space)"?

Of course. 😁

ElieH_0-1695820994827.png

it does'nt help... ok, it seems, I have to wait week 3

SMaaLL
Participant

Finally!!! It was very difficult! thanks @Dan_Wroblewski 

SMaaLL_0-1695821737392.png