Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member221294
Participant
In this blog post I am going to explain the step by step execution of Predictive Material and Resource Planning (pMRP).

pMRP is a brand new functionality by SAP. It helps you to identify potential capacity issues and to evaluate possible solutions as early as possible based on a simplified requirements plan using a simplified material requirements algorithm. As a result of the simulation, production planners are prepared to take decisions on changed conditions, for example with regard to requirement planning, resource plans, preproduction, or make-or-buy decisions.

In SAP ECC and earlier releases of S/4HANA, Long-Term Planning (LTP) can be used to simulate MRP and allow us to analyze the results for capacity situation, all the levels of semi-finished products and raw materials.

Pre-requisites:

Master Data:

1. Materials

2. Bill of Material for Materials

3. Work Centers

4. Routings

5. Production Versions

Transnational Data:

• Planned Independent Requirements

FIORI apps: The below dedicated Fiori apps for this functionality, there are no transaction codes available.

1. Schedule pMRP simulation creation

2. Process pMRP Simulations

3. Process pMRP Capacity Simulations

In this process I have executed on one material. The same process you can apply on multiple materials or plant/s with different criteria.

The first step I have created Demand in the form of Planned Independent Requirements for four weeks with active version.

The below three apps are using for pMRP.

1. Schedule pMRP simulation creation: Create a pMRP Simulative Plan.

In this app you define which reference data are going to be considered as reference data for a simulation. Then you start the creation of a simulation which can be processed in the Process pMRP Simulations app.

Herein there are two job templates are available. I have created plan with via Top-Level Materials.

1. Creation of pMRP Data via Top-Level Materials

2. Creation of pMRP Data via Work Center

Provide your Simulation plan, ID, start date and end date of the reference plan. Once you filled with parameter section scroll it down and fill-up Object section. Then check and schedule the job.

Here you can see the status of the job and results as well.

1. Process pMRP Simulations:

With this app you can create multiple simulations, check the impact of simulated changes to capacity or demands on the KPIs, and take informed decisions for your production planning.

You can reduce inventory costs by making the right adjustments in your simulation.

Herein the below simulative plan created in previous step. Now it’s in created status.

If you can go to Simulation Summary of Simulation Plan (pMRP_1312_SIMU_01) you will see an overview of all the still unresolved issues and the issues you explicitly discarded. This overview helps you to analyze how these measures help to solve capacity issues on the one hand and how close you come to meeting your delivery target on the other hand.

Go inside the Simulation plan as I showed in the above screen shot

Generally in pMRP, you can solve the capacity issues by using different ways. Currently you can see there is 5 Capacity issues in the Simulation plan. To solve these capacity issues I have used the below ways.

1. Change Source of Supply

2. Preproduce

3. Change Available Capacity

So here in Week 06 have some capacity issues, when you place the cursor on Week 06 you will get right side Inspector panel.

If you can click on Multi-Level Material Simulation it will shows you the multi-level bill of material with all its components. You can open the inspector to display capacity issues. You have the following options to solve capacity issues:

Change Source of Supply: If an alternative source of supply (alternative production versions) exists, you can choose to change it to encounter capacity issues.

So here on Week 06 have 2 capacity issues out of 5, click on 2 and select the Change Source of Supply button.

You can the popup for Change Source of Supply. In this popup production version-1 has total 51 PCE capability to produce on Week 06. For remaining 29 PCE, it’s proposing to use production version-2 to fulfill the entire Week 06 demand (80 PCE).

Click on Adopt Proposal.

Once you click on Apply then 5 capacity issues will become 3. See below

In the same way just check on Week 07, click on Multi-Level Material Simulation

Here also 2 capacity issues out of 3, click on 2 and select the Preproduce button.

Preproduce: You can decide to plan a preproduction on component level to mitigate capacity overloads.

You can see below the available preproduction dates/periods for missing quantity. And also it will show us total available capacity of preproduction dates as well. So Here you can adopt the proposal or go with your own proposal by distributing the quantity.

Click on Adopt Proposal and Apply.

Now you can see below the capacity issues become 1.

Click on back button.

Finally we have only one capacity issue. Now I am going to resolve by using Change Available Capacity through Capacity Plan Simulation.

Capacity Plan Simulation: This view displays the work center and for each period all related top-level demands. You can see work center's capacity situation over the defined time period. You have the following options:

Change Available Capacity:

You can simulate changes to the capacity of a work center by changing the available capacity, and analyze the result of it. You can also display a graphic with an overview of the capacity situation of the work center.

Disregard Capacity Issues:

Use this option, if you are sure that you want to ignore capacity issues, for example, because this particular resource of the work center is not considered as crucial.

As a result, all the issues of the selected work center will disappear. If you want to restore them, you navigate to the Simulation Summary and restore the issues on the Disregarded Capacity Issues tab.

Click on Change Available Capacity button

Select the Week and change New Capacity Utilization.

Then click on Apply, all capacity issues resolved.

All capacity issues are resolved.

After analyzing your simulation, you can go ahead and Release your simulation plan with the changes that you want to implement. The released simulation cannot be edited any longer.

Here you can see the overview of simulation summary what you have done so far.

1. Process pMRP Capacity Planning: In this app you can find the list of active plan and its details.

Conclusion: The simple set up without customization resulting in a mid-term planning tool with flexible end-to-end simulation capabilities makes pMRP highly valuable for production planners and related stakeholders.

I would very much appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

Pulla Rao Tulava

42 Comments
Ritz
Active Contributor
very well written document, thanks for sharing it.

Thanks

RD
Raja_S_Reddy_B
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Nice One, Thanks for sharing.
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Ritesh Dube

former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
?
former_member322909
Discoverer
Nice document...thank you.
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Mukund
Good explained step by step... Thank you..
former_member365455
Discoverer
Good document. Thanks for sharing..
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Ravindra
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks San
former_member662104
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Nice documentation through step by step
subhrantbal
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for sharing a detailed explanation.

regards

Subhrant
0 Kudos
Thanks a lot for this nice document !! much appreciated.

Can you please guide me the Header material you have used low level code '00' has what specific set up in the material master level ? Is this material MRP type D1 as DD MRP relevant or any such setting is there.

Your input will help me a lot.

Thanks

Nirmalya
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks parthu_sap
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks subhrantbal
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi 0004263586

Thanks a lot for your appreciation.

There is no special setting required. Try to do with MRP type PD, P1, P2 etc than D1.

Regards

PR

0 Kudos
Thanks pullaraot for your quick responses.

Unfortunately I am facing the issue ' There are no reference top-level demands in reference ID XXXX'.

Although all the master data are maintained properly and PIR are created for the Header material.

Can you please suggest if you encountered this kind of issue before.

Thanks

Nirmalya

0 Kudos
the above mentioned issue is coming when top material isMRP type -D1 ( DD MRP relevant material)
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Nirmalya Majumdar,

Sorry, you can't create simulation plan with MRP type D1 for top level materials. For more information please check the below test script/BPD (pg no-40) and note 2907592.

https://rapid.sap.com/bp/#/browse/scopeitems/1Y2

Regards

PR
Hi Pulla Rao Tulava,

Another Q- when I use the Preproduction functionality to split the demand for  example from week 30 of 250 Qty to distribute 100 Qty in Week 28. By doing that Capacity issue which was showing earlier now it is gone.

But when I release the simulated demand plan, it is not updating in the inactive version with week 28 -100 & Week - 30 with 150 . Instead of that it is still showing 250 in week 30.

can you please suggest how the system will behave in this case ?

Thanks

Nirmalya

former_member690303
Participant
Hi Pulla Rao Tulava,

A very welcomed information. I was looking for a predictive MRP using Fiori App.

Thanks,

Elena Puica
Antonio4
Explorer

Hello!

Congratulations for the publication!

I set up a scenario here in my environment. What happens is that the necessary capacity does not appear in the simulation, only the available capacity appears. I have already reviewed the entire configuration, including the Manage capacity app works well.
Can you help me on this point?

Antonio4
Explorer
0 Kudos

As much as I increase the PIR, it does not show a problem of capacity. I reviewed the resources, formulas and script … everything just right.

Antonio4
Explorer
Dear friends,

I found note 2914873 - pMRP that solved the problem.

Best regards
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for this Note

Regards

PR
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Thank You very much..
0 Kudos
Nirmalya, Have you got the resolution for issue?

I am also facing same issue.

Thanks

Tara
Hi Pulla Rao,

Thank you for detailed document.

I am facing issue while executing pMRP. getting error as There are no reference top-level demands in reference .

Finished products are having MRP type as PD only. All BOM components having MRP type as PD.

Thank you.

Nilesh
former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Nilesh,

Plz maintain Inhouse time in MRP 2 view for your header material and check.

Regards

PR

0 Kudos
Hi Nilesh and others,

On running PMRP simulation, I am getting a message for some of the components on the BOM -Outside of Simulation on the Calendar period column. What does outside of simulation mean ? Why does this message appear ?
former_member87002
Discoverer

Hello Pulla Rao,

Thank you for sharing such detailed document on pMRP. If possible, please help me with below query.

Is the LTP functionality available on On premise edition of S/4H 2020 ?

Like, I understand that pMRP is available in S/4H 2020(which requires fiori apps) but additional to this can we use the traditional process of LTP eg.(T codes like MS01,MS02, MS31, MS64, MS04, MS70) also ?

Thanks

AJ

former_member221294
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Nilesh Mishra,

Still LTP functionality available in S4HANA 2020 edition. It's not obsoleted.

Thank you...!

Regards

PR
karthikreddyhere
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Very well explained , Thank you for your detailed information !!

If we are not hands-on* on Fiori Apps, we can use Traditional LTP as well in S4 HANA 2020 version.

Best Regards,

Karthik Reddy.

andy_yeri
Contributor
0 Kudos
Can this be used for:

1. Materials that are marked X0? We have PPDS & we plan to use X0 MRP type in S/4 HANA, but since we do not have IBP, we want LTP in S/4 HANA & plan to use pMRP for the same. Pls confirm

2. Can we use a separate set of master data (Material Master, boM's & Recipe's) using which we could run a pMRP process in S/4 HANA?

Thanks
0 Kudos

Very nice document, thank you.

Is these Fiori apps part in inclusive database of S4 HANA 2020 ?

I checked few apps.. example 'Production scheduling board' needs extra license.

Thanks

Bhasker

sousheel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Nice document and well explained.

iam quite new to pMRP , so my question is can we use pMRP for Testing services for capacity planning of the tests?

0 Kudos
Hello Ritwick,

I am also getting the same error. can you please tell me the solution for this issue.

Thank you.
Esraa_Soliman
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks for the valuable document ,

I was trying to follow up the same steps but facing an issue related to outside of simulation ( for semifinished material and its component) . what is the reason of this issue and how to solve it

former_member840173
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi,

very good article with a lot of important information.
I have a question - mayby somebody can help me -> Can I import excel file (with for example forecast) to pMRP? I cannot found information about.
Thanks.

Ania
P2003523347
Participant
0 Kudos

Very good article and nicely written, Thanks for sharing

Thanks and Best Regards

Sunil Patil

naga_seerla
Explorer
0 Kudos

hello,

Change Source of Supply is greyed out, could you please suggest what's missing.

naga_seerla_0-1709767724703.png

DavidBrs
Newcomer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

great post. I have 3 questions;

1. Is pMRP included in RISE with SAP S/4HANA Private Cloud, premium or do I have to consider some other Licence/costs? The link does not make this clear to me.
  2. Can I use this tool without working center information? For example, for materials that only have a routing with external processing operations.
  3. Can I extract the result of the simulation as an Excel file so that I can send the sum of the planned requirements/orders to my supplier manually?

Thank you in advance. 

Best Regards

David

Labels in this area