Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akmal1216
Employee
Employee
Dear all,

I would like to share one interesting and useful report which creates Transport of copies and releases them to the target system.

In some projects we came across with difficulty to test our developments due to not having enough test data. Recently I had one project where no test data is available in DEV system and we need create TOC and move it to quality system to test every single change in the logic. At the same time that makes you to write code more carefully, since you don't want to create TOC over and over again  🙂

But this process takes time such as creating TOC and import it to target system, besides I found it sometimes annoying. So I decided to create report which does the same job instead of me.

All I need to provide is transport request number, it is also easy to select thanks to value help in selection screen.

This is how the report look like:

Value help on the first input field gives you the option to choose both customizing and workbench requests under your user name:

Selected transport number will be released and you just need to import it in target system.

Here I am providing the source code in my GitHub profile and hope you will find it insightful.

TOC Report repository link
9 Comments
Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
Thanks. Note that there was also Easing the pain in TMS – using transport of copies | SAP Blogs, although only a description of function modules.

I see that you use TRINT_RELEASE_REQUEST, there's also the function module BAPI_CTREQUEST_RELEASE. I'm not sure whether it works for TOC.

I also recommend to use abapGit to store ABAP code in Git repositories.

NB: for creation, if someone proposes BAPI_CTREQUEST_CREATE, unfortunately it cannot create requests of type Transport of Copies (only Workbench and Customizing).
akmal1216
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Thank you Sandra,

Good to know about another blog.
olegbash599
Active Participant

Thanks.

Selected transport number will be released and you just need to import it in target system.

Some time ago, I decided that it is too many actions and\ create report create copy from main request, put it in queue and importing into target system. more over it does not create a version because ToC could generate many versions and it could be time consuming to search over them.

https://github.com/OlegBash599/ZCTS_BROWSER

After a while I found that there are many approaches (even standart one) how the problem could be solved (let it also be here - just to increase SEO 🙂  )
https://blogs.sap.com/2023/05/12/hide-toc-transports-in-abap-version-management-enhancement/

matt
Active Contributor
It's a useful tool - I've already written it for my systems!

May I suggest that your re-write it as object oriented? FORMs are obsolete and should not be used in new developments.

Also, consider using ABAPGit to manage your ABAP git repositories.
AlexNecula
Active Contributor
Nice little automation tool! It definitely saves some time for me. It would be great if this was extended to also automate the transport itself.
Jelena
Active Contributor
Thanks for sharing! I was curious about the "automatic" part but "I give the report TOC number and it releases it" is not what I'd call automation. 🙂

It's funny how many customers likely need this and have written their own reports. I had one as well that went even farther: I'd just give it the original TR and it would create TOC and release it. It was based on BDC recording, so not really share-worthy.

I wish there was standard functionality for this (again, many customers need this, even if they don't know) but alas, I suspect we're stuck with what we have...

Thank you!
akmal1216
Employee
Employee
Thank you Jelena for your feedback.

Really appreciated 🙂
akmal1216
Employee
Employee
Thank you Alex
akmal1216
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for feedback, I completely agree with subroutines are obsolete now, but idea of the report was to show the main FM that others can use to create such report.

For sure it can be improved with OOP.
Labels in this area