Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeroBieser
Advisor
Advisor
In this second part of the blog series I would like to take a look at an early step in the overall asset life cycle, the construction of assets and how to standardize construction projects. For this I refer to the great presentation called “ENEL’s Path to Developing a Building Information Modeling (BIM) Common Data Environment”, that Oscar Torres Lopez from Enel gave at the SAP for Utilities conference in July.

ENEL is one of the largest utilities of the world running more than 5000 primary substations and more than 1.2 million MV-LV transformers. With this large amount of assets it makes even more sense to standardize and digitalize the construction projects and the collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. The standardization is based on the ENEL digital platform, which separates data, services and applications in three different layers:

• The Data Domain Layer

• The Decoupling Layer

• The Solutions Layer

Especially important in this context is the “democratization of data”, that means the data domain layer contains each data object only once – as a single source of truth - and every service and application has access to it. This is a big difference to most legacy landscapes, where each solution keeps its own data and data needs to be replicated and is in many cases not consistent in different solutions.

ENELs digitalization project is furthered by the legal requirement, that for large construction projects the BIM methodology (Building Information Modelling) is mandatory. This affects all projects above 1 million € in Italy and above 2 million € in Spain. Therefore processes need to support BIM in each phase of a construction project starting with the solution engineering followed by the detailed project design and then the actual construction. During these phases BIM models need to be shared amongst all involved parties.

It was not only the aim to digitalize processes, that historically involves a lot of paper work. At the same time, ENEL also wanted to standardize the Engineering & Construction (E&C) processes. This standardization is possible as substations are not too complex and can therefore be build according to common standards, that have to be customized during the individual projects.

The goal was therefore defined, but still the decision needed to be made how to achieve it: With an individually developed solution? By customizing a standard software solution? Or by following a SaaS approach with as little customization as possible? At the end ENEL chose the SAP Project Intelligence Network (PIN), a cloud solution that SAP has renamed to SAP Cloud for Projects in the meantime. Main reasons for this decision were the aim to keep it simple, to get value quickly and especially the openness, that SAP PIN provides with its APIs.

The digital platform however does not only consist of SAP PIN but also includes

• SAP Asset Intelligence Network AIN, which holds the construction standards and their parameters and also 3D drawings.

• SAP Enterprise Portfolio and Project Management EPPM, that allows to monitor the construction projects and decision points

• SAP ECC for additional data from the technical objects

• Several solutions developed by ENEL on the SAP Business Technology Platform BTP

ENEL developed additional solutions to cover specific requirements, that the SAP solutions do not fulfill. To develop the solutions ENEL uses APIs of the SAP solutions and SAP BTP as a development platform. One of the ENEL specific solutions is for example an E&C Tool on top of SAP AIN. Another key solution is an application called Leonardo, that spans all SAP solutions, glues them together and adds ENEL specific functionality with a seamless user experience. Thus Leonardo serves as much needed productivity tool for the project managers, who are in charge of the many construction projects and therefore face a high work load.

I do hope the ENEL approach is of interest to you. I think it can serve as a good example how to build a digital platform with standard solutions and extend them, where needed, by using SAP BTP.

As also mentioned in the first blog, I am looking forward for feedback and comments.

Kind regards,

Gero

Asset Management in Utilities - part 1: Let’s stay in contact

Asset Management in Utilities - part 3: Improving Asset Efficiency and Health with Simulation-Based ...
8 Comments
S0024369567
Explorer
Excellent use case! I liked the way they introduce the concept of domain model and application layer in order to show the potential of building business process through SAP AIN and SAP Cloud for Projects (aka PIN).

I’ve been working on these use cases with several clients. The real challenge is the Handover Process from being a project (SAP Cloud for Project) to become an asset (SAP AIN). I am wondering how do they handle this process and if there is a vision from SAP to facilitate the support of these process.
GeroBieser
Advisor
Advisor
Hello Patricio

thank you for your comment and question. A handover from AIN to Ariba is on the SAP Road Map for 2023 and a link from Cloud for Projects to Procurement is also planned. The handover from AIN to PIN needs to be however enabled on project basis currently. Perhaps the Road Map topic about Public APIs for digital twin objects is of interest in this context, though.

In addition, it might be of interest that we are currently looking into how to best leverage SAP Capital Asset Lifecycle Management (from a partnership with Siemens) also in the utility industry. For Oil&Gas companies this is for example described in this article about CALM.

Kind regards,

Gero
klausloehnert1
Participant
0 Kudos
How is this process integrated with SAP ECC or S/4HANA asset management (AM/PM) and procurement?
GeroBieser
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Klaus

AIN processes are linked to ECC and S/4HANA mainly through technical objects (equipment and functional location) as well as work orders and notifications. You find details here.

Cloud for Project processes are linked with the Project System in S/4HANA and with Enterprise Portfolio and Project Management. Here are some details.

I assume, but don't have the details, that also ENEL is using these interfaces. In addition, they have built their Leonardo app that enables seamless processes (the Enel Leonardo app has no relationship with the former SAP Leonardo solutions).

Regarding procurement I listed some planned developments above in the first comment.

Kind regards,

Gero
klausloehnert1
Participant
0 Kudos
Is it possible to assign equipment's and functional locations to projects or project work breakdown structure elements in Cloud for Projects?
GeroBieser
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
In Cloud for Projects this is not possible.
klausloehnert1
Participant
0 Kudos

Is it possible to assign S/4HANA Asset Management or ECC Plant Maintenance or AIN work orders to projects or project work breakdown structure elements in Cloud for Projects?

GeroBieser
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
In Cloud for Projects you can assign links to work orders in ECC & S/4 to navigate to the respective S4/ECC application. There however is no data exchange.