Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varunvenkat
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
In my previous blog about product master data, I showed a possibility to create your own view of product master data with its important attributes such as product type, product group and item category group. In this blog post, I want to go into a bit more detail into the relevance of the Item category group especially, as this is a quite an important topic, especially in the Sales and Service Lines of Business in SAP S/4HANA Cloud. In a nutshell, the item category is responsible for determining how a particular product is processed in a Sales (or Service) order. For example, in a standard sales order, a product with an item category TAN will be processed a standard item, which means it will be relevant for billing later on. On the other hand, an item category CBLN represents a free of charge item, which means a product with that item category won’t be billed later on. This procedure is known as item category determination – you can read more about it here.

In essence, it is important to understand the different item categories and their role in the system while processing products in sales or service transactions. The logic to decide which item categories will be available to choose from is as follows:

• The S/4HANA Cloud system reads the sales document type from the sales document in process. For example, a standard sales order has the OR document type.

• The system also reads the item category group from the product master record of the line item being processed in the sales order. For example, the commonly used product TG12 has the item category group NORM.

• Using the two attributes above, the system allows us to configure various possible combinations to determine the item category. This can be done in the SSCUI # 353572 (“Assign item categories”) in the “Configure your Solution” app (or in CBC). Here, we can for example define that the combination of Sales document type OR + item category group NORM will result in the default item category TAN being determined.

The takeaway from this is to understand what purpose item categories serve and how they are determined. Now that the theoretical concept has been explained, let’s look at a practical example of how the item category determination affects the processing (or rather lack of processing) of certain products in sales and service orders. To illustrate this, I’m going to use the following 2 examples:

1. Create a Service Order with the service product item SRV_01. This works because SRV_01 has the item category group SRVP. The combination of document type SVO1 (service order) and SRVP has multiple item category determination rules for the combination of sales document type SVO1 (service order) and SRVP in the system.

On the other hand, products having the item category group SRVP cannot be processed in a standard sales document type (OR), as there is no item category determination rule for this combination. Let’s look at exactly this scenario in example 2 and see what happens.

1. Create a standard Sales Order (OR) with the product SRV_01

• When we try to create a sales order and add SRV_01 as an item, the system throws an error, as there is no item category determination for the combination OR and SRVP.

• The workaround to use service product items in a sales order is to use products having an item category group SERV. This item category group is specifically for the ‘sale of services’ scenario, which is why this combination of OR and SERV has an item category determination rule maintained in the system.

• To achieve this, the solution is to use the product SM0001, which has the right item category group SERV that allows an item category to be determined for usage in a Sales Order. In this case, the item can be used in the Sales order without any errors

The examples above should have illustrated the significance of the item category determination concept in S/4HANA Cloud and provided a basic understanding of which products can be processed in which sales document types. If you come across the need to use the same product in both Sales orders and service orders, a useful tip is to assign the item category group NORM to such products. This is the only item category group that works with sales and service document types to determine valid item categories.
4 Comments
markus91
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Varun, thanks for sharing. I am just facing two questions:

1. Is there any way to get insights in the item category determination for Service Orders (e.g. in the CBC)? I am not able to get any information on that - neither via Product Help nor via CBC itself.

2. In my business case, we have third-party processes in Sales using item category CBNA (3rd Party SO w/o SN). We try to use these materials in Service Orders as well. Following your explanation and our findings in the system, there is no Service Order Item Category assigned to CBNA. As there is apparently no possibility to configure the item category determination in S/4HANA Cloud Service: Which solution would you suggest to enable using one material for third-party orders both in Sales and Service?

Thx in advance!
varunvenkat
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi markus.geissel.q-perior,

1. Your assumption is right. There is no mechanism for business users to view/modify the item category determination logic in LoB Service. Only system administrators with backend access have insight into these configurations.

2. The situation you're facing is similar to the one described in the blog due to the discrepancy in item category groups supported between sales and service orders (in my case, it was 'SERV' and 'SRVP', for you it is 'CBAN' and 'SRVM' causing the conflict). Unfortunately, there is no clever approach that I am aware of to solve this dilemma. The only option that comes to mind would be to create two product master data records for the same physical spare part (for eg. TG11_Sales with item category group 'CBAN' and TG11_Service with item category group 'SRVM'). These can then be accordingly used in a sales and service order respectively.

Best regards
Varun

markus91
Discoverer
Thanks for your input. IMO a proper solution would then also be to set up a separate distribution channel to enable two different item category groups on one material - one for Sales and one for Service. Having two product master data records for one physical material would make the inventory management hardly impossible to handle.

BR, Markus
MJ_2
Newcomer
0 Kudos

Hello Varun / All experts,

There is requirement by our management for service parts, as header material will be billed and printed in invoice while other components will not be printed in invoice, But pricing, Inventory management and delivery also should be managed. In this case I suggest to use sales BOM scenario with Item category group is ERLA and Item category is TAQ (We have made customized ZTAQ). It would be worked properly OR not?

Could you please guide me on the same?

Thank you very much in advance.!

Best Regards,

Manish