cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define correct costing lot size (avoid lot size variance)

Antonio88
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need your support, because I think that we use SAP system in the wrong way. The post refers to costing lot size, lot size variance and order planning.

For an exemplary product, we set 4 hours as setup time in the recipe and 30.000 ea as costing lot size in material master (costing 1). When we create the production plan, we split a run in several production orders that are processed one after the other. For example: PO 1 = 10.000 ea, PO 2 = 10.000 ea, PO 3 = 10.000 ea, run size = 30.000 ea. During production, we confirm 4 setup hours for PO 1 and 0 setup hours for PO 2 and 3.

When we check the cost analysis after period settlement, each PO has a target quantity of 4 hours for setup. Therefore, we receive a lot size variance for each PO.

For understanding, we need 4 hours to set up the machine for the product. A run can take several days which is why we split it into several POs. Otherwise we have to wait till the end of the run to release and ship the product. 

Question: What are we doing wrong or what do we need to change to avoid lot size variance?

Feel free to ask if you need further information for understanding.

Regards

Tony

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

arjuna_bandara
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is possible to record production order confirmation (CO11N) in multiple days or shifts for the same order. You can record the proportionate goods issues with 'backflush' and good receipts with 'auto GR' functionality (standard operation control key PP03)

Antonio88
Discoverer
0 Kudos
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea, what your answer has in common with my question. Can you please explain the connections in more detail.
arjuna_bandara
Active Participant
Hi, Is there any business challenge in recording order operation confirmation to the same order? I’m assuming that you are using PP for discrete manufacturing. For an example, referring to your data, Instead of splitting the run size into multiple orders, you can create a single production order for 30 EA. (production plan without splitting) Then you can record the confirmation for each day using operation confirmation using transaction CO11N for the yield recorded. Setting in the “confirmation parameters” for order type and plant need to be maintained to propose quantities and activities based on the confirmation yield. You can record the proportionate goods issues with 'backflush' and good receipts with 'auto GR' functionality (standard operation control key PP03) Setup time will be recorded once for the entire order (only at 1st confirmation) hence will not create any variances.