cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Cockpit - How to migrate BOMs with History Requirement

mmoisa
Participant
Dear community,

We're currently migration BOMs from ECC to S/4 HANA and we're facing the following challenge for lots of BOMs --> error: History requirement only supported if engineering change mgmt is active

(Message Class 29, Message Number 659). Tool: Migration Cockpit, Direct Transfer & Upload File approach.

The rootcause seems to be inside method check_deletion (SE37 --> CNV_PE_S4_PP_MATERIAL_BOM_ECN --> IF_CNV_PE_S4_BOM_MIG~PROCESS_DATA, lines 72-89):

This method sorts source-table STPO descending based on STLKN (Node), then compares if the number of lines in STPO is the same with the highest STLKN it finds:

I managed to add an internal counter to renumber the items (STLKN, STVKN, IDENTIFIER, ITEM_NODE, VGKNT) and are being takenover properly, such that the method is by-passed, but the BOMs were not migrated correctly in S/4 HANA, as the ECN-to numbers are missing and all the items are shown in the new BOM as active, even if they were previously deleted.

Any hints on how to migrate data like this?

FrankFinkbohner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Madalina,

Seems that you have two problems here.

1. An assumed issue with the method CHECK_DELETION
  2. The question how to migrate history data.

For the first problem I would recommend to first run the Note Analyzer report if you are missing any SAP Note.

See How to implement the latest corrections released for Migration cockpit | SAP Blogs for details.

If this does not solve the problem, create a ticket on CA-DT-MIG, if you think that there an error within the wrapper function module and methide. The colleagues from there will then check and correct the method in case there is an issue.

For the second and main problem with the behavior at all I would also recommend to create a ticket on that component to ask whether the behavior is correct or not. The documentation here PP - Material BOM | SAP Help Portal (2021) isn't really saying if your case is supported or not

Note
Material BOMs you set for deletion in the source ERP system are not migrated

Out of Scope

• Fashion material BOM
  • Sub items with change numbers
  • Document assignment for linked documents
  • BOM item classification
  • Deletion of BOM headers, items and dependencies
  • Class item categories
  • Document item categories
  • Configurable material BOM
  • BOM local dependencies of the type: Action
  • Deleted records that do not use engineering change numbers

Best

Frank

0 Kudos

Hello Madalina,

can you explain, how you renumbered the items? With an impact enhancement in the method process data/check deletion or in the LTMOM?

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

herrmann_d
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Madalina,

we experience the same issue. Have you found a solution yet?

Best regards,
Dominik

mmoisa
Participant

Our solution consisted of Direct Transfer migration, then proceeding with Upload File for the erroneous BOMs & finally correcting these with several LSMW objects.

herrmann_d
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick reply! But this is supposed to be a Software Issue. have you not tried opening a call to have this fixed?

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

We have open an incident, but it was normal ECC behaviour, there was nothing else to be done.

herrmann_d
Explorer

I think they might have changed their mind about this being normal behaviour as i just found a note that looks like it describes this issue and might even fix it : 3238796

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

Would be great, tbh.
It's not available for me though:

herrmann_d
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes for me neither but from the text that you see in the search it looks like it fits the issue perfectly:

Maybe they decided to fix this now and that is why they work on the Note

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, this is indeed the solution -- SAP Note 3238796.

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @herrmann_d, this is indeed the solution -- SAP Note 3238796. The error will be converted to warning & will allow the process to continue, but with a risk of inconsistent migration which has to be manually corrected. So many thanks!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi again Madalina - were you able to find a resolution to this issue? I am running into the same error with some BOMs that have been changed.

Thanks so much,

Steve

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

Our solution consisted of Direct Transfer migration, then proceeding with Upload File for the erroneous BOMs & finally correcting these with several LSMW objects.

0 Kudos

Hi Madalina,

As you mentioned that your source is ECC system, why don't you try Direct Transfer Approach?

You can migrate the complete BOM along with all the history, current and feature items with that.

Best regards,

Danny Song

mmoisa
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Danny,

I've stated above that I'm using the Migration Cockpit, Direct Transfer approach and this gives me errors for all materials in this case (see above screenshots from the debugger, I've shown exactly from where the error is originating).

The Customizing is correct, yet the BAPI isn't allowing us to post the BOMs into the S/4 Hana system,where the highest STLKN value is different than the actual counted lines in STPO.

Regards,

Mădălina