cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Notified of a Transaction in SAP B1

connerpanarella
Explorer
0 Kudos

In SAP B1 what are the methods of being notified of a transaction having occurred? To my knowledge, the options are the stored procedures (TransactionNotification) and the Integration Framework?

We make heavy use of the Service Layer to perform a variety of business processes in SAP, but currently it is not possible to do any kind of webhooks or notifications with the Service Layer.

A use case for us, for instance, would be to receive a notification when a Purchase Order is created. From there we can write some kind of process to be kicked off by using Service Layer operations.

View Entire Topic
mgregur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to start a process at the same time a transaction was made, then you need to use IF as a starting point. Otherwise, as Hrvoje said, Alerts are your best option.

If you do not want to use IF or Alerts, another approach would be to create an Add-on which would "catch" the event when it is written to SEVT table. This would also allow you to make a corresponding call to some exposed web service, which could trigger SL for further processing.

BR,

Matija

connerpanarella
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for the info! After posting this question I was looking heavily into the SEVT table and how I might need to utilize the IF to accomplish this.

Right now I'm thinking of using the IF to capture events (with some filters) that then get written to a table much like SEVT for processing by by the SL code. Does that sound like a solid approach in your opinion? I find the IF kind of clunky and cumbersome to use, which is why I'd like to do the heavy development outside of it, if possible.

mgregur
Active Contributor

Hi,

it all depends on the processing you want done. Since you want to avoid IF for any processing, but you plan on doing some calculations or interface with some other systems, I would suggest you don't create a separate table but instead use IF to catch the events (don't forget to setup the Event Filter properly). There is an option to use Data Retrieval over SL in IF, and you can then simply make an outbound call to a webservice or use outbound save to file. This would give you the complete json structure of the document, which will correspond to the structure you would need anyway when working in Service Layer.

BR,

Matija

connerpanarella
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you! That seems like a solid middleground for what I am looking for.

Now I just need to get a grasp on setting up these forwarders in the IF.