cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Global vs Local Dependencies

wce
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm currently working on some data extraction from ECC involving BOM dependencies. I need to separate local from global dependencies. I have the tables for dependencies, but I haven't found an easy way to determine the difference between a local and global dependency. Is it the case that a global dependency will have multiple entries in CUOB and a local dependency will have only one? Or is there a flag somewhere that I can look at?

jschoetteler
Participant

Thought, this would be easy and the flag global/local would be part of table CUKB "administrative data", where also the status of the dependency is stored. But - it seems to be somewhere else.

At least that much: A single entry in CUOB does not indicate a local dependency. A global dependency can be used once too.

Very common from my point of view to use global dependency, as you never know when you want to reuse any existing one a second time.

wce
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for your response. I managed to get access to a system where I could run CS02 in debug and check source code. It looks like the dialog box that informs me that there are multiple entries really is actually looking for multiple entries in CUOB with the same KNNUM and different KNOBJ values.

Do you think it's worth creating a local dependency and seeing what happens if I try to add it to another record?

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

View Entire Topic
wce
Explorer
0 Kudos

After some research, I've determined the following:

• While maintaining BOM items and editing a dependency, a check is performed to see if multiple entries exist in CUOB for the same dependency. If there are multiple entries, editing is not allowed. It has to be maintained through transaction CU02.
  • Local dependencies cannot be maintained centrally through transaction CU02. A local dependency name (CUKB-KNNAM) is set to the same value as the internal number (KNNUM), but with leading zeros added. If you attempt to maintain a local dependency via CU02, a check is performed to see if KNNAM contains only numbers and spaces. If so, maintenance is prohibited.

I was unable to test the situation where a a BOM Item is assigned a global dependency, but no other assignments of that same global dependency exist. I'm not allowed to change data in this system, and this situation doesn't exist in the system I have access to. In this scenario, I would expect the maintenance to CU02 to be allowed, but I'm not sure if it could be edited through object dependencies on the BOM Item. My best guess is that editing would be allowed via both transactions.

From a system point of view, it seems that the difference between a local and global dependency is determined by whether or not the dependency name contains numbers (and spaces) only.