cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple entries for purchasing group

0 Kudos

The purchasing group field exists in material master record, vendor master record as well as PIR. Why does the field repeat 3 times? And if a PO is created, from where is the value picked?

View Entire Topic
VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor

From what I know, in standard systems there is no field purchasing organization in MM03, where did you see it? Are you sure that this is not a custom field (specific to your system)?

I suspect that you misunderstood the idea of master data in general.

Imagine that in the system you have purchasing organizations 1000 and 9999.

When you extend a vendor for 1000, you can create purchase orders for 1000, but not for 9999, right? You can also try creating a PIR for 9999 and a material of your choosing when the vendor is not extended for purchasing organization 9999.

With PIR you can define data which is specific to the combination of vendor and material for a given purchasing organization or a purchasing organization and plant. PIR is not mandatory, by the way (except in certain processes), you can create purchase orders even if you have not created a PIR in ME11.

As to the question which data is with higher priority - in general, the system picks the most specific data that it can use. It is hard to give a concrete answer, because value can mean many things.

It seems that you are preparing for a certification exam. If yes - I would strongly recommend that you review again the unit on purchasing master data and then test a few scenarios in a sandbox. I find this approach more efficient compared to studying just the theory.

0 Kudos

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was actually talking about purchasing group. And yes, I'm preparing for the certification, which would explain why I'm getting confused with the two terms.

So, if the most specific data takes priority, then PIR should be first. Then who gets second priority? material master data or vendor master data?

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

soumya11

"if the most specific data takes priority, then PIR should be first" - it depends on what is this specific data. You only mentioned "value".

Then who gets second priority? material master data or vendor master data?

Which field exactly do you have in mind? If there is a specific field, in which you are interested, I would strongly recommend that you test in a sandbox and find the answer by yourself.