Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release cycle and forced version up of S/4HANA Cloud, private edition

satohr
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

This is about the frequency of version updates (innovation cycle) of S/4HANA Cloud, private edition.

How often will forced version updates be performed for S/4HANA Cloud, private edition?

"Forced" means that the user cannot choose the update timing by user, and SAP performs the version up.

I think the user interface may change.

We understand that from October 2023, the release cycle for private editions will be extended from 1 year to 2 years, and the mainstream maintenance period will be extended from 5 years to 7 years.

I would like to know whether it is necessary to forcefully update the version once every two years.

As a background, when proposing S/4HANA Cloud solution to customers, I would like to explain the difference between private and public, and also explain the frequency of forced version updates.

Thank you for your support.
Haruki SATO

View Entire Topic
jmarquezmr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Haruki,

Customers running in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition are not forced to upgrade their system. Customers have the flexibility to choose to upgrade or not, as long as they remain on mainstream maintenance.

SAP recommends Customers keep their solutions updated. There are several reasons for that, such as:

• Missing out on new features until customers upgrade to the latest release.
  • The effort will get larger if a customer falls behind multiple versions.

But again, it is up to each customer to decide when the system will be upgraded.

SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition is upgraded twice per year. In that solution, SAP handles the upgrade and it is mandatory. You can review this link for further information Delivery of Innovations in SAP S/4HANA Cloud

Regards,

Jose M.

satohr
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Jose,

thank you for your reply.

I understand that for private editions, upgrades are optional, as long as they remain on mainstream maintenence.

I also understand that the public edition requires an upgrade once every six months (by SAP).

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Harki SATO