cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Vs Extension version

ramg1968
Participant
0 Kudos

Our main consolidation requires the reporting in USD to SEC.

But we have incidentally defined the version with EUR and it is moved thru transport.

If the version is used with extension version for USD what are the impact difficulties we could pose.

It is better to define another version for USD or use the same version defined for EUR with extension version for USD?

Appreciate your inputs

View Entire Topic
Arleigh
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Rama,

If the main GR currency is USD it's probably best if you go with Chris's suggestion above.

But to answer your question - Extension versions were initially introduced to make it much easier to have multiple Group Currencies (USD, EUR, LB, YEN, etc...). You can define as many as you want but they all have to link back to the main Version. When you define and Extension version you should set it to automatic (Extension versions were greatly enhanced in Version 2022 but that's a different topic). So when you run the Data Monitor and the Consolidation monitor it will 1st execute the Primary Version and then subsequently / automatically execute all of the extension versions (another popular extension version is to have reporting by Constant Currency). So each extension version can have a different Group Currency and also a different currency method (ie. budget rates when you want constant currency).

One of the areas you have to be careful o for Extension Versions is when your doing Group Journal Entries you need to make sure these are done across the main version and ALL of the linked extension versions. This was made easier I think in the 2021 release) as they added the Extension Version field in the header of Post Group Journal Entries. They also added a report where you could identify posted Group Journal Entries that did not go across all the extension versions. I have not dug into if this is still an issue with the enhancements they did to Extension versions with the S/4HANA 2022 release.

I hope this helps.