cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the different Material Types Supported in SAP-VMS ?

yamaha_sap
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Can we manage different type of Materials that we use in Automotive processes like mentioned below in SAP-VMS ?

1. Spare parts.
  2. Packaging material.
  3. Repair parts.
  4. CKD(Complete Knock Down) sets

As per our analysis, in order to use VMS, we have to have the Vehicle number (With VIN) generated by using the vehicle model (VEHI Material Type/Configurable Material), and once we create the Vehicle number, then we can create the linkage of Equipment Master with our Vehicle number, Is our understanding correct ?.

0 Kudos

Yes, you are correct.

yamaha_sap
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Hemanta for the quick response, so if I understood it correctly, If I try to create spare parts material or Repair material with VMS, then it's not possible, only Vehicles can be created with VMS, for rest of the other material types, we have to use Equipment master ?.

shashanko_aditya
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

As per standard, you are expected to use only VEHI material type in VMS. However, that should not stop you from using other material types in VMS, provided you make the material configurable and activate automatic valuation creation.

May I know, why would you like to create a spare part or packing material in VMS? for that matter why even equipment? VMS is designed and implemented for VEHICLE life cycle management and must not be used for any other object other than Vehicle.

Is your question around the concept of backflushing ( either in make to stock or make to order) and linking the VMS vehicle to equipment?

Are you facing difficulty in activating the master warranty on vehicles/ processing warranty claims on the VELO object?

For your reference, have a look at standard actions CREQ, WRTY & MEAS.

Thanks

Shashanko Aditya

yamaha_sap
Explorer

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for your response, typically for any global customer who deal in different type of materials, besides Finished configurable vehicle, they have to produce/process (Spare parts/ Repair parts/ Packaging materials) and these type of materials are generally not configurable.

So, if VMS is used only for configurable Vehicle and for rest of materials if we have to use normal SD/MM process to process/produce them, then decision comes to a point, why not use S/4 HANA for our Vehicles also (I totally agree there are many add-on functionalities which VMS offers, SD/MM doesn't, but again these add-on functionalities are not business critical, it's good to have).

From OEM, point of view, we don't have any standard actions available in VMS like (MRP Run/Production orders processing etc.), so without heavy custom developments, VMS solution can't be useful for our OEM's.

Regarding CREQ action, I think there is some issue there, once we have assigned the VIN number to our Vehicle, and try to execute action CREQ, it doesn't come in the action matrix, though it has been maintained there, probably, we are missing some pre-steps to execute it ?.

But again, to register materials which are not configurable or finished Vehicle, I have to create Equipment master, so keeping in considering both parties like (OEM & Importer) in mind, S/4 HANA SD/MM is more apt to go forward.

shashanko_aditya
Explorer

Hi Saurabh,

In that case, VMS is typically not designed for manufacturers rather it suits importer and distributor business. It is really helpful in accessing the entire lifecycle of a vehicle from procurement to sales (complete history along with attached documents on a single screen).

VMS is also part of S/4 HANA system much like SD/MM.

The production process as in your case is supposed to be mapped in PP and not SD/MM and then if you want to link your produce to VMS, there is no standard interface available yet, however you can create one.

Thanks

Shashanko Aditya

View Entire Topic
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me try to put my understanding on the Automotive solution. This covers almost everything that we need for vehicle. Spares Parts business could be managed using the DBM solution or SD MM functions. If packaging is also a business of the client that can also be managed without Automotive solution. For Repair and Service we can do it using the Warranty module or DBM module, even CRM service order concepts can be used. In SAP there are many solutions for the same requirement, we just need to pick the solution as per the requirement and the Module involved in a particular project.

(1) For Manufacturing we can use the Standard PP functions that SAP provided, as you said we can use equipment serial number concept. Each serial number or Chassis number could be one VIN Number. In my current client we use both as same.

(2) CBU & CKD vehicles entire life cycle can be managed using the VMS Solution. But all depends on the requirement of the client, what they want to track or monitor from VMS.

(3) I worked in some projects where we also updated various production processes like, Trim-In, Trim-Out, Paint-In, Paint-out, Engine Number matching, Quality confirmation, Production confirmation, Ex-OK etc. What I mean here is SAP has given some standard functions to use as it is. If we need additional we can always build it and integrate with our VMS vehicle life cycle.

(4) This above step also helps business to know how many vehicles are currently in production and in the production line where is vehicle is currently available.

(5) To automate the status update of the vehicle in production, we installed the scanner devices to link with the various stations from which real time information is sent to VMS and details can be captured and user can view the details from VMS Screen.

For example user even can have the flexibility to know what is the Engine number of a particular VIN which is still in the production line if the Engine has already been mounted and the particular status already scanned the engine barcode.

(6) Once the vehicle is Produced the Logistic process can take over and all Stock movement can be done using the VMS solutions.

(7) Once Sales process completed the Warranty Module takes over and warranty module captures other remaining process.

(8) Using the Warranty module we can manage all types of warranty and service related requirements vehicle.

Personally, I believe we can achieve almost every business requirement of any Automotive Manufacturer, Distributor or Dealer using the SAP Automotive solution. It's one of the amazing solution SAP got and client loves it after implementation.

SAP Automotive Modules in ECC: SAP has given us SAP Vehicle Management System (SAP-IS-A-VMS), Dealer Business Management (SAP-IS-A-DBM) & Warranty Management (SAP-IS-A-WTY).

SAP Automotive Modules in SAP S/4HANA: SAP has given us SAP Vehicle Management System (SAP-IS-A-VMS), & Warranty Management (SAP-IS-A-WTY).

Here I tried to put my understanding as an SAP Automotive solution Consultant.

Cheers,