Financial Management Blogs by SAP
Get financial management insights from blog posts by SAP experts. Find and share tips on how to increase efficiency, reduce risk, and optimize working capital.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edrilan_Berisha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hey folks,

in this blog post I will share most likely a hidden gem of how you can quite easily enter data from an excel file to a manually created bank statement.

All you need for this will be the Manage Bank Statements application.

Let's say a colleague sends us an excel file containing bank statement line items for a bank statement which we should import.

Bank Statement Line Item Data (External Transaction, Value Date, Amount, Currency, Memo Line)Bank Statement Line Item Data (External Transaction, Value Date, Amount, Currency, Memo Line)

We have this excel which contains two bank statement line items. So let's select these two statement line items which contain the data for (in that order) External Transaction, Value Date, Amount, Currency and the Memo Line.

Now simply select all your bank statement line items, and copy them by using the shortcut ctrl+C (Windows) or command+C (Mac).

excel2.png

Now switch to the browser and open the already prepared bank statement in the Manage Bank Statement application.

excel3.png

Click on the header of the Bank Statement Items table as shown in the screenshot above. You will see that the system now has focused the table with a thin blue line indicating what has been selected.

And now the magic and fun part happens, all you need to do is paste the data by using the shortcut ctrl+V (Windows) or command+V (Mac).

excel4.png

Is there anything else you need to consider? Yes, so basically the order of the columns in your excel will be copied 1:1 to whatever order you have defined in your Manage Bank Statement application. Here we propose to really create your own variant. It's just a one-time effort as you will always be able to use that variant or even set it as default variant.

First of all you select whatever columns are relevant for your business or in other words select those columns that you want to populate with your excel files. So let's click on the settings wheel above the Bank Statement Items table:

excel5.png

In this case I deselected the Line Item Number and the Manual Transaction. If you want to keep a certain order of your line items you should of course keep the Line Item Number, but then keep in mind to also provide or have that data in your excel.

excel7.png

In this example I am using external transactions so I add that column to my table.

excel8.png

Remember, the sequence of your columns in your Bank Statement Items table has to match the sequence of the data from your excel. So in this example I move the External Transaction up by hovering over it with my mouse and changing the position in the list.

excel9.png

Click on “OK” once you rearranged your columns and double check if the sequence on the UI is aligned to your excel.

excel11.png

Now we can create the variant, so that these columns are always ordered like that whenever we enter this application.

excel12.png

Give it a name and select “Set as Defaut”. In this example I pretended that my name is John Miller, so I named it John Miller. Obviously you do not have to use your name, you can also call it "ImportExcel" or whatever you wish.

excel14.png

Now you can whenever you create a new bank statement directly copy and paste the line items data from excel.

So for the conclusion:

There are two options how you can import data from excel. Either you use this lean way of simply copying the data right into the application or by going the "old fashioned" way which means more manual input from you:

1. Click on „Generate Template“ button
  2. Fill the information (most likely you copy and paste it from a different excel file) into the generated template
  3. Save the template excel with your data on your machine
  4. Click on „Import“ button in the application
  5. You will now see a warning dialog, that all data already entered will be deleted, you click on “Yes”
  6. Now click on „Upload“ (or drag the file from your machine)
  7. Select the file and click on „Ok/Open” (drop the file into the dialog)

If you are interested in further shortcuts you can use on the Manage Bank Statements or the Manage Processing Rules - For Bank Statements or any other Fiori Elements application, you can have a look into this blog post.

Feel free to leave any comments or question below, I am happy to help you.

Best,

Edrilan Berisha

SAP S/4HANA Cloud Financials Development

5 Comments
Anita_Ahmadpour
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

This function really is a "hidden gem" as you put it! Thank you very much for the explanations. 🙂

For everyone else who wants a bit more information about how to upload bank statements via the spreadsheet template, have a look at our Help Portal content here: How to Upload Bank Statements with a Spreadsheet File

JiriStarek
Explorer
0 Kudos

There is very important which Decimal Format and Date Format you have set in the user settings. Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-28 164427.png

Edrilan_Berisha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi JiriStarek,

that is true, but also true for the import option via a generated template excel.

Best,

Edrilan Berisha

kevin_hu
Active Participant
0 Kudos

For sure a very desired feature from Fiori apps, which all SAP GUI users took for grant.😊

My question is: does it work in the same way for other similar apps?

Edrilan_Berisha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi kevin_hu,

the functionality works the same way, if it is enabled yes. To answer already maybe the next question which comes up, is it enabled in other apps? Basically the answer is (who would have guessed it): it depends on which app.

So if the app was developed using the "Fiori Elements" framework, then yes. If the app was developed freestyle as a SAPUI5 app, then it depends on what the developers have decided to enable or not enable.

You can find this out in the fiori apps library. For instance lets look at the Manage Bank Statements app (F1564): https://fioriappslibrary.hana.ondemand.com/sap/fix/externalViewer/#/detail/Apps('F1564')/S28OP

It states "Application Type Transactional (SAP Fiori elements)" 

fioriLibraryManageBankSatements.png

If you check now the Reprocess Bank Statement Items app, you see that is has been developed freestyle "Application Type Transactional (SAP Fiori (SAPUI5))" :

fioriAppLibraryReprocessBSItems.png

That said it does not mean as soon as an application has been developed freestyle as SAPUI5 app, that it does not support it. It depends on how the developers have developed the app and if they enabled the smart tables for it. In this applicationReprocess Bank Statement Items for instance, we do not have the possibility to "create" bank statement line items, so the analytical table on the app does not provide any copy and paste functionality, right.

So you have to test it out app by app, but the functionality works similar as here if the app has enabled it. Which means the columns are pasted exactly in that order as copied from the excel.

Best,

Edrilan Berisha