cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 1940646 - How to clear data prior to a new copy or import without deleting adjustment data

SeerOfSig
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the above note I've created.

I found this interesting enhancement while researching an issue with a client, and as far as I can see it is not properly documented anywhere. As this is a fairly common need and complaint from our clients, I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of it.

Prior to BPC 10 the "Replace & clear" option in Data Manager packages could only be limited by Entity, Category, and Time. In BPC 10 the Audit type (previously known as Datasource) dimension is now added to the limitation.

This means it is now possible to import Input Audit type data without affecting Adjustment data. Assuming a customer properly uses Adjustement for all journal entries, this means they can now re-import their input data without having to unpost / repost their journal entries.

I tested this and confirmed that this works in BPC-MS SP15. I've not had time to set up a test case in BPC-NW, but from what I can tell this enhancement should be present there as well. Would be great if someone could at some point confirm this conclusively.

I also noticed that the prompts in the standard DM packages for BPC-MS have not been updated to reflect this change and still only mentions Entity, Category, and Time. BPC-NW correctly adds the Audit ID. However, the documentation for both products still only reflects Entity, Category, and Time, so this change is not consistently and well documented in both products.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

For BPC 10 NW the Audit type is working as a limitation. Unfortunately there are no limitations by user defined dimensions - it's necessary to create a custom process chain to do clean-up before import.

B.R. Vadim

SeerOfSig
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Vadim,

thank you for the confirmation. Yes, it's true that you cannot limit the clear by user defined dimensions, but this is still a step up from what was possible in 7.5 and should be useful for many customers who want to be able to distinguish imported data from other data types.