Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors and human capital management from member blog posts. Share your HCM insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Narendra_42
Explorer

Auto Delegation: Automate the delegation process from the Time Off UI using the Intelligent Services

The delegation functionality helps the employees can have someone else to act on their behalf and handle all their workflows during the period when they're unavailable. This Article provides the insights of performing the auto delegation using the time off UI with the Intelligent service center. In general the delegation initiated from the Home page > Quick Links > Auto Delegate.  With this solution, Employee can maintain their delegate during the leave request instead of using the quick links. This avoid employees missing from maintaining the delegation during their absence.

Requirements: If the employee is on long leave like (Vacation, Annual leave…), they must maintain the delegation in the time off UI. From there system should automatically pick and assign the delegates. This will help the approvers (Manager, HR…) to know the backup person during the employee absence.

The following steps has been taken to achieve this configuration.

• Custom field in the Employee time off object
  • Employee time off “Event” trigger rules
  • Intelligent Service with Integration Center configuration

Custom field in the Employee time off object

Go to Configure Object Definitions under the object Employee time create a custom field with the data type as “User” with the field condition to show the field for the specific time type.

Custom field with field conditionCustom field with field condition

Employee time off “Event” trigger rules

Configure a “Worker Absence Event” trigger rule to initiate the ISC job. This rule needs to be placed as a save rules under the object “Employee time”.Trigger Worker Absence Event rulesTrigger Worker Absence Event rules

On-save rules in Employee time objectOn-save rules in Employee time object

Intelligent Service Center

In the ISC, I’m selecting the Event - Employee time off, this event will work for absence, accrued and non-accrued types.Intelligent Services Center - Event selectionIntelligent Services Center - Event selection

I’ve configured the simple flow rule based on the requirements; this can be modified based on your requirements.Intelligent Services Center - Flow ruleIntelligent Services Center - Flow rule

The next step is custom activities, I’m selecting the Integration Center to map the Employee time object to the Auto delegation config object.Intelligent Services Center - Custom ActivitesIntelligent Services Center - Custom Activites

Intelligent Services Center - Create New IntegrationIntelligent Services Center - Create New Integration

Integration Center - Integration typesIntegration Center - Integration types

Integration Center - Destination object selectionIntegration Center - Destination object selection

On the Configure Fields section, I’m choosing the destination objects as Auto Delegate Config (Parent) and Auto Delegate Details (Child).Integration Center - Add destination entityIntegration Center - Add destination entity

I’ve mapped the object as per the below screenshot.Integration Center - MappingIntegration Center - Mapping

On the field “Delegation Status” I have used the calculation (If-Else) condition to handle the leave cancellation. In case, If the user decides to cancel the leave, the delegation request should be turned off.

The condition is - If the Employee time. Approval Status is equal to Approved then Field value is “ON” Else Field value is “OFF”.Integration Center - Calculation fieldIntegration Center - Calculation field

Integration Center - Calculation conditionIntegration Center - Calculation condition

I’ve used the Supported OData Operation – Upsert Single, the reason is the “Auto Delegation Config” is non-effective dated object.Integration Center - Operation (Upsert Single)Integration Center - Operation (Upsert Single)

On the filter part, I’m referring the Employee time. Time type and last modified date to run and update the latest data.Integration Center - Filter optionIntegration Center - Filter option

Once the above steps are completed, Save the Integration job and go to the “ISC”.Integration Center - Go to ISCIntegration Center - Go to ISC

Outcome

Case 1: Creating a new leave request with Delegate - If the user applies the long leave like “Annual leave/Vacation leave” as per the configuration, the system displays the custom field “Delegate” as mandatory to maintain during the submission. Once the request is submitted, the Delegation process will be automatically triggered to the respective user based on the selection in the time-off UI.Case 1 - Time off UI absence requestCase 1 - Time off UI absence requestCase 1 - ApprovedCase 1 - ApprovedCase 1 - Delegation triggered to respective delegateCase 1 - Delegation triggered to respective delegateCase 1 - Delegation request dataCase 1 - Delegation request data

Case 2: Updating or Modifying the delegate in the leave request - In this case, if the selected delegate is not available during your absence, you can modify the delegate by editing the absence. This change will be updated in the auto delegation config and reflect in the delegate profile.Case 2: Time off UI - Edit delegate.Case 2: Time off UI - Edit delegate.

Case 2: Delegation dataCase 2: Delegation data

Case 3: Cancelling the leave request - In this case, if the user decided to cancel the leave request, the system will automatically turn off the auto delegation request.Case 3: Leave cancellationCase 3: Leave cancellation

Case 3: Delegation dataCase 3: Delegation data

Limitations:
  • As the “Auto Delegation config” is the non-effective dated object so we could not insert multiple record with the effective date, this has the problem of maintaining the future leave request with delegate.

Example: If the user has the leave request on the current month with delegate and user decided to record the future dated leave on the upcoming month with different delegate. The system will automatically overwrite the future dated leave record in the auto delegation config object.Picture1.png

• If you want to include the delegate as an approver in the time off workflow, it’s not possible due to the system limitation.
  • From 2H2023, SAP introduced the option of having auto-delegation groups, instead of delegating all their workflows to one single person, employees can choose to delegate some workflows to one person and other workflows to other persons. This feature cannot be achieved through this solution.

Read other SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central blog posts and follow SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central

Please follow my profile for future posts Narendra Prasath Parthiban

It would be appreciated if you could Like and Share your valuable feedback in the comment section.

Labels in this area