Human Capital Management Blogs by SAP
Get insider info on HCM solutions for core HR and payroll, time and attendance, talent management, employee experience management, and more in this SAP blog.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Target Audience

Customers using Goals/Group Goals in legacy version of Goals Management who need to continue using the same existing goal plan template in the latest version of Goal Management (Reimagined Goals UI), as oppose to uploading/creating a new template for a new goal cycle to start fresh.

Why now?

You may have seen article: https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/product-and-customer-updates/plans-underway-to-make-latest-versi... that we have plans to Universal Push a majority of customers to latest version of Goal Management around the March 31st 2025 (with some exceptions, please see the FAQ blog for who is excluded from this upgrade). Therefore it will eventually become inevitable that you have to review how this upgrade impacts to existing templates. We highly recommend you plan your upgrade before we universal push to reduce disruption of your goal cycle to a minimum.

Why we prevented Group Goals from converting

The reason we prevent Group goals from converting to a Latest template is due to the data model changes it would need to go through in order to convert it into Team Goals. Source group goals traditionally appeared on the manager's goal plan, whereas source team goals did not. That conversion change would result in an additional Team goal created on goal plan (which was previously the source group goal), which impacts the integration with Performance Form and the ratings it may already have due to this extra goal.

Disclaimer

We always recommend starting a new template when upgrade to latest version of Goal Management.

Most customers create new goal plans every year. A customer wanting to roll out latest version of Goals Management in the middle of the year has to be dealt with caution.

Please understand that reimagined goals is NOT just a user interface upgrade. It introduces new functionality and new ways of working (integration to CPM, OKR, etc). It is not, and was never intended to be a flip of the switch upgrade. Customers with very simple configurations will have very small impacts, however customers with more complex processes will certainly need to be more thoughtful when they move to the new version.

Read on if you still want to use the same goal plan template in the latest version of Goal Management. 

Scenarios and Best Practices

Scenario 1:

You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in 2024 year using a different goal plan template.

Best Practice:

This should be the easiest scenario.

• Finish off the 2023 goal cycle in legacy goals
  • Upgrade to latest version of goals
  • Create a new template for 2024 goal plan
  • Done!

Scenario 2:

You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in the middle of this goal cycle year using the same goal plan template. You don't have group goals created in that old template.

Best Practice:

Scenario 3:

You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in the middle of this goal cycle year using the same goal plan template. You have group goals created in that old template.

Best Practice:

• Read about the overview of latest version here: https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/... make sure you are well aware of its reduced scope, limitations and changes to goal plan templates
  • Proceed to upgrade to latest version of goals
  • You CANNOT convert templates containing Group Goals in them, this is not supported due to its complications and disruptions it will cause to ongoing Performance Forms.
  • You MUST create a new template after you upgrade to latest version of Goal Management, hence taking us back to Scenario 1.

Scenario 4:

You have overlapping cycles – the 2023 goal plan will be left open for 2-3 months whilst the reviews happen (often via a Performance Form) and final changes are made, and the 2024 goal plan is already opened for the new year.

Best Practice:

• Continue with the old cycle, the 2023 goal plan in legacy goals and finish that off
  • At the same time, go ahead with creating a new goal cycle 2024 goal plan still in legacy goals (but don’t create group goals for the new cycle yet, you can create Team Goals though, this is to prepare for the future template conversion)
  • After old cycle is completed, now upgrade to latest version of goals
  • Convert existing 2024 goal plan (this should work due to no group goals being present), read more about how to convert here: https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/... 
  • At this point the old 2023 goal plan would have finished and will be in read only mode once you are upgraded to latest version of goal management, so you don't need to keep maintaining and changing the data in it. Continuing using new 2024 goal plan in latest goals, and integration with Performance Forms will also stay intact

Scenario 5:

You are using a 2023 goal plan template right now and want to upgrade to latest version of Goal Management in the middle of this goal cycle year using the same goal plan template. You have group goals created in that old template, but you still want to find a way to continue using the group goals you already created.

Best Practice:

• Before or after you upgrade to Latest Goal Management, first export those group goals into an Excel csv file or through Reporting to save as a backup copy, making a note of which goal IDs are master/source goals, and which goal IDs are assigned/child group goals. This is used for later.
  • Now remove/delete those group goals using the Import Performance Goals tool in Admin Centre
  • Immediately convert your 2023 goal plan (without group goals now)
  • Import the backup csv file into the converted goal plan using the admin tool Import Performance Goals
    • Here you need to first identify the master/source group goals you made a note of earlier and import those using Action ADD.
    • Now you need to use Action ASSIGN to assign them as child Team Goals into the newly converted goal plan
  • Now you should have successfully transferred the group goals from the Legacy version into team goals in the Latest version. Note: this avoids the user having to manually create the same goals again, but a new template would be all existing integrations (e.g with Performance Forms) would be lost.

Leave a comment to any questions and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

52 Comments
burcukaya
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question about Universal Push,
We are planning the use Goal Plan in Legacy Version on 2024 January and also we're planning to have group goal in those goal plan.(As we checked the all document about Latest GM, we understand that,Group Goal is not gonna be supported in Latest GM.)As you mentioned, you will force to universal  for Latest Goal Management in 2h 2024. Is this a problem for us? Because we will have a legacy goal plan and we will have group goal , also we will have opened forms etc.
Does this affect the ongoing process ?

Thanks for your attention,

Best,

CarsonWongIVC
Participant

@burcukaya I believe you (as well as all existing customers) will be impacted. I personally suggest you to adopt the latest GM from day 1 so that your users will not be confused on the UI/Feature changes.

By checking the SAP help document, there are a lot of limitations (eg. not support SMART goal, group goal, link/align goal, print goals, layout configuration, tasks/targets table, category-level goal count/weight, etc) which some may be supported in later releases but some may not. There are not much info on it.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@burcukaya  sorry for missing your message. Yes, having group goals in the Legacy version will mean that you will no longer be able to use them or convert them in the Latest version anymore (cannot update or change data, you will still be able to view them). I highly suggested that you directly move to Latest version right now for your new goal cycle.

CarsonWongIVC
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @VanessaLi,

I found some useful functions are not supported in current release, wonder if you have any 'insider' news those will be really faded out or back in later releases:

1. Goal Plan Layout (layout configuration)
  2. Print Goal / Goal Plan
  3. Link Goal
  4. Goal Count and Goal Weight on Goal Category
  5. Tasks table and Targets table

Thanks,

Carson

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@CarsonWongIVC 

1. Goal Plan Layout (layout configuration)
    1. no longer supported. As we have a 'card' layout display, the traditional layout configuration for list view will be deprecated.
  2. Print Goal / Goal Plan
    1. this will be supported in the 2H 2023 with limitations to the content being able to be printed (do not support printing of CPM activities and Learning Activities)
  3. Link Goal
    1. due to low usage in our customers (data analysis has been made), we will no longer be supporting this.
  4. Goal Count and Goal Weight on Goal Category
    1. customers can raise enhancement request for this but this is not planned in the near term.
  5. Tasks table and Targets table
    1. this is replaced by Milestones table which should be able to cover similar functionalities as the target and tasks table.
CarsonWongIVC
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks @VanessaLi for your quick reply. Appreciated that.

It is fine for 1-4 and point 5 may be required for customers who are using several tables for different purposes. They will have to redefine the goal structure.

CSwartz
Explorer

Hello,

@VanessaLi - I noticed Custom Learning Activities are no longer supported, are there any plans in future releases to enable this?

Thanks,
Carrie

Karen_Slate
Newcomer

With the upgrade to the new Goal Module, we are requesting that the goal detail area character limit is changed from 500 to 2000 characters.  It currently only allows 500 characters (including spaces).  This causes an issue when you convert your prior templates over to this new Goal Module.  If people had more than 500 characters on their original goal plan  itself, it basically cuts off the text at exactly 500 characters.  This seems like a bug that needs to be corrected before we go live with this upgrade.  Thanks!

Alex7
Discoverer

Hi, we are using both tables - Milestone and Tasks. For us, it is very important to still have the Tasks table because it is not possible to add the Milestone table twice in the template. @VanessaLi  , what you can recommend for us?

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@CSwartz Custom Learning Activities will be supported as of the 2H 2023 release. Please monitor our help guide change history.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Karen_Slate Goal description will be raised from 1000 to 2000 characters as of 2H 2023 release. Goal name however will remain unchanged at 500 characters. This is because of the current design architecture we have for goals where it does not allow many characters to be displayed on the UI (card view, header section).

wens
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi, employees have input custom learning activities in their development plan earlier this year. Will the upgrade to latest goal management discard those custom learning activities? Thanks.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@wens custom learning activities will be supported in this upcoming 2H 2023 release.

EMO
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I just moved to the new goal format, and need to convert so that my employees can edit current goals and add new goals to finish their ongoing PM form. Unfortunately, we also have group goals, which were not migrated before we changed to the new format, and now are not able to convert to the new format, so my employees are not able to correctly update their goals from last year to finish the PM form. Are there any work arounds for this? I have raised the question but am not getting any satisfactory responses. Thanks!

EMO
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This comment goes with my comment above :  Vanessa (? I believe) mentioned when I was attending the webinar today on November 2023 2H Release - Talent Management Release Q&A (Performance and Goals, Succession & Development, Opportunity Marketplace), that I should ask my question in this blog.  I wish that I had attended this webinar before, but I didn't so now Im in a catch 22 situation.  Can't give edit / create access but can't convert either, because it is too late.  I am excited about the new goal plan, however, and don't want the frustration with the PM form for my employees to overshadow how great the new goal plan is...  Thanks!  

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@EMO please evaluate Scenario 5 in the blog and see if it helps?

Ericson_Cardozo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi There Vanessa

We have Group Goals in our 2022 objectives (as part of PM form) and those are completed now. When the universal push is done in 2H 2024 without option to opt-out, will that plan too change and group goals be gone from that. Or that will be in Read only state and still have all the information as is (including Group Goals).

Please advise as I need to set expectation of my business users accordingly.

Thanks in advance

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@Ericson_Cardozo Group goals will be in Read only mode.

Ericson_Cardozo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Venessa

We have upgraded to the Latest Goal Plan. One impediment we find is that we have a field of type "enum" which has around 40 values. This now allows only maximum 20 values.

What would be the workaround for this ?

Your guidance would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Ericson_CardozoUnfortunately no workaround is available. We have introduced a number of character limitations and enum value limitations in the Latest version for a reason to improve user experience and reduce clutterness of UI. Is there a particular reason why 40 values are needed? This is not a very common practice, right?

Ericson_Cardozo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Venessa.

Thanks for the superfast response.

We align our objectives to our organizational strategic objectives. This is a pre-defined list for the year and those are usually 35 to 40 in number. 

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Ericson_Cardozo Usually Enum values are not designed to contain that many values. Perhaps the alternative is to use Initiatives? This is a feature that we are building for Latest in the 1H 2024, (it already exists in Legacy Goals), it is designed to align your objectives to company level initiatives.https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_PERFORMANCE_AND_GOALS/4a24e48b5c384b18a81f6b661305021e/... 

JDB247
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Vanessa,

Our performance year runs from April to March. Therefore concerned about the universal push in 2H 2024 as that will be mid-way through our cycle.

Can we follow Scenario 1 and complete the 2023/24 cycle on the existing template and start the 2024/25 year on the new template (converted from the existing one)?

By that, I mean, can we upgrade to the latest version of Goals and create a new template before March 2024 without affecting the existing cycle?

And is Scenario 1 as easy as it sounds - so existing standard goals will continue to work and Team Goals can be added as and when needed?

Thanks

John

Ericson_Cardozo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello All

We currently have some Development Goal Plans (incorporated on a PM form) that will remain open for 1 to 5 years and utilize the [F] role.

Now due to the [F] Role been made redundant with the Latest Goal Plans, I will be forced to break one state into couple of states.

For existing ongoing Plans, it is a big impact as permission that have been put in place by the [F] role will fail.

Can someone please advise if something like this is faced by you and any suggestion on how to overcome the same.

Reason for Plan remaining open : We have development plans (outside of Performance cycle) for some key identified resources that could have goals spanning anywhere between 1 to 5 years

Thanks in Advance

Ericson

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Ericson_Cardozo F roles will be supported as of 1H 2024, so you will not need to worry about this.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@JDB247 It sounds like you are currently still in 2023 cycle. Yes, you can upgrade to the latest version of Goals and create a new template before March 2024, but when you upgrade, the existing cycle 2023/24 will be in read only mode and needs conversion if you wish to continue using it. And if you have Group goals in that existing cycle, the conversion will fail.

I recommend:

• finish off the current 2023/24 cycle still in Legacy goals.
  • Upgrade to Latest goal management after March 2024, make sure you finished the previous cycle already
  • Create new template for 2024/25 in Latest goals (no conversion needed since it is a new template, you only need to convert if there is an existing template when you upgrade)
  • You are start creating Team goals in the 2024/25 cycle with no impact

If you need the 2023/24 and 2024/25 goal plan to coexist at the same time, then when you upgrade to Latest goals, at least one of them will need to be converted if you wish to continue using them. We always recommend starting a new template after you upgrade, instead of converting an existing one.

Ericson_Cardozo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Venessa

I am aware that the role will be available, however, we have goals currently that have due dates as 2025 or beyond as well.

Reason for Plan remaining open : We have development plans (outside of Performance cycle) for some key identified resources that could have goals spanning anywhere between 1 to 5 years

Regards

Ericson

burcukaya
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to use "Copy From Objective Plan" option on 2024. We used legacy goal plan on 2023. Can we use this option on 2024? Because if we update goal plan, 2024 goals will be in latest goal plan but 2023 goals will be in legacy goal plan. Does this option work properly between legacy and latest goal plans?

Thanks for your attention,

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@burcukaya If you are currently on a Latest 2024 plan, and you want to copy goals from a Legacy 2023 plan (that is in read only mode), that is possible.

jtrue
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our performance year runs from July - June. We will upgrade to the latest goals for the next performance cycle with a new performance template. Our Development Plan template has ongoing goals, and rolls through without the requirement for a new template each year.  Can I confirm that when I convert the Development Plan template our employees will retain and be able to edit their existing goals? 

Thanks

arifm2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are setting goals in Performance forms and legacy goals are integrated with the forms. Also not using group goals.

We will finalize and freeze goal setting for all employees by September 2024 and launch year-end review cycle in Oct 2024. The Year End Review cycle finishes in Jan 2025.

Can you highlight the impact of universal upgrade of new goal management on Goal name and Metric character limits. Will it show only 500 and 1000 characters in the Performance form after upgrade?

can we finish the year-end review cycle after universal upgrade.

Please provide suggestions.

Thanks

Arif

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@jtrue yes you should assuming you don't have group goals.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@arifm2 It should also show 500/2000 characters in Forms but it should not impact your process of editing/saving the goal. You must convert the template if you want to continue editing the goals that are integrated into the form. When you go and edit the goal, the truncated text will be saved back to the database.

arifm2
Explorer
0 Kudos

@VanessaLi , Thanks for your response. I would like to rephrase my question. What will happen to Goal with higher character limits for Goal Name and Metric fields. Goals will be freezed/locked and not edited after Sep 2024. After transition to new goal version in 2H 2024, will the Performance form show full characters above the new limit or cut it down to 500 and 1000 for name and metric fields.

Thanks once again.

regards

Arif

Debbie_Moses
Participant
0 Kudos

We have upgraded to latest goal mgmt in Preview, and I have converted some of our prior year's templates so that users can copy from other plan. I get an error when trying to convert our current template (group goals), but I don't recall we ever had group goals. We have not upgraded PRD yet, and I want to make sure that I am able to convert the current template for when we do upgrade. What do I need to do to ensure I can convert once we do upgrade PRD?

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@Debbie_Moses you should be able to access Reporting and filter out all group goals. as of the 1H 2024, you will be able to delete group goals via Import Performance Goal too, so as long as to succeed in identifying the group goals you may delete them via the IDs. after you delete them, you can convert the template. 

After you convert, if you wish to continue using the group goals, you may re-import them back as team goals and assign it to the users again. 

Tbrown
Explorer
0 Kudos

@VanessaLi ,

We have a business unit that is on a separate performance cycle. If we launch their Performance forms using the Legacy goal template and then upgrade to the Latest Goal Management, will this team still be able to make changes to their goals within the Performance form template?

Also, as far as importing goals in the Goal Library, will the Library import error out if character limitations do not meet with the Latest Goal Management field character limitation?

kristywalsh
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I noticed the universal push to Latest Goal Management has been moved into Q1 2025 per the Road Map Explorer; can you please confirm this is the current strategy so that I may notify my customers?

Best,

Kristy

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@kristywalsh yes this is a new strategy and we are in the middle of sending out a mass communication to convey the new date out to customers. This should be done in the next 2 weeks. Please allow us to communicate this out first before you do the same. 

YuchingLee
Explorer
0 Kudos

@VanessaLi , 

Hi Vanessa,  

For Scenario 1, you listed below steps:

Finish off the 2023 goal cycle in legacy goals
Upgrade to latest version of goals
Create a new template for 2024 goal plan
Done!

I have question on "Create a new template for 2024 goal plan". If I use "Save As" option to copy 2023 goal template and save as 2024 goal template. Do I need to covert this 2024 goal template for users to use it in the latest goal version? 

Please advise. 

Thank you!

Yuching

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@YuchingLee for any copying of a ‘legacy’ template, you still have to convert it for it to able usable in Latest goals. 

YuchingLee
Explorer
0 Kudos

Got it. Thank you @VanessaLi 

jtrue
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We will convert our current goal plan to the new goals in May, as well as launching a new goal plan for next year. We will convert both plans to the new goals as both will need to be editable for an overlap period.

New goals do not support tasks, but users with the current goal plan will already have existing tasks. Tasks would previously have been carried over to the Other Details tab of the end of year performance review.

I have 2 questions:

1. When the current goal plan is converted will users be able to see their existing tasks?
  2. Will those existing tasks be carried over to the Other Details tab of the performance review for this year?

Thanks.

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@jtrue If you convert an existing template, you will not be able to see Tasks on the Goals UI as that field is not supported in Latest Goals but you can see them in Reporting (if you don't convert, then you may still see them in Legacy View)

Yes on the Form you can see it, but if you want to edit the goal, in the edit dialogue you won't be able to see it.

TeresaHSU
Newcomer
0 Kudos

@VanessaLi ,

Hi Vanessa,  

If we only convert the current goal plan into the latest version in May, will other existing templates that didn't convert to the latest version disappear from the system? Or they will keep legacy view and not have latest version?

Thanks,
Teresa

VanessaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@TeresaHSU They will not disappear. They will be in the dropdown list of goal plan selection but they will have a Legacy View button next to them for users to navigate to the old view to full content in detail.

YuchingLee
Explorer
0 Kudos

hi @VanessaLi - Please help me to confirm if our instance is part of universal push.

First, I know this option is not checked: Provisioning > 'Company Settings > 'JDM v2.0/Skills Management'.

Then, I'm checking Upgrade Center to search for Talent Intelligence Hub and I see below: (see screenshot). I guess it's not upgraded, but not sure.

YuchingLee_1-1712768643176.png

So, can you please let me know if our instance is part of universal push or I have to wait for 21-April-2024 when the push is done in preview site. 

Also, I didn't receive any announcement email regarding the new March 31st 2025 timeframe. Is this yet to be sent out? Kindly let me know. 

As always, thank you for your help!

Yuching

VickyDing
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@YuchingLee 

The instance will be included in the universal push if the provisioning switch 'Company Settings > JDM v2.0/Skills Management' is checked under Provisioning.

Thanks,

Vicky

YuchingLee
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi @VickyDing thank you for your reply.

I don't have access to provisioning. Per SAP agent in ticket 421967/2024. it's not checked, see screenshot on 2-April-2024.

YuchingLee_0-1712846396921.png

However, I've also found below log in the check tool and wonder if it's changed since. Should I open ticket to check it again? 

YuchingLee_2-1712846586899.png

If none of those 2 conditions are met, ('JDM v2.0/Skills Management' is enabled or 'Talent Intelligence Hub' has been upgraded using the 'Upgrade Center'.) can I still manually upgrade latest goal version from upgrade center? What is the risk? Any check I can run before upgrade and converting data? Please advise!

Thank you!

Yuching 

VickyDing
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@YuchingLee 

Thank you for providing the detailed images. Based on the configuration and jobs I observed, it appears that the instance will have TIH enabled. However, the image you shared yesterday does not seem to show TIH as enabled. As a result, I am not confident about the current status of the instance. I recommend confirming the instance status before proceeding.

Regarding the risk associated with manual upgrades, it will only impact the competencies configured in the development goal. If the development goal does not have any competencies or skills configured, there should be no risk in performing the manual upgrade. However, if competencies are configured, it is important to halt the manual upgrade to avoid losing the competencies information.

Thanks,

Vicky