cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Upsert using REST OData V2 Service?

0 Kudos

Hi I am working integrating SAP SF using OData V2 Services. I made a POST request for creating a USER and it works fine as shown in below screenshot.

I want to use same request for Updating the USER. If the userId is available it should create one, otherwise update the existing one but facing error.

In OData Dictionary Upsertale operation is true for User below is the screenshot, so what I am doing wrong here, please guide.

drvup
Contributor
0 Kudos

Try using "PUT" instead "POST" .. 🙂

0 Kudos

Hi, drvup Could you please let me know by showing an example of how a PUT request will Create and Update the User? I tried doing it myself but faced issues.

0 Kudos

Hi, someone please help me on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Abdul_Waheed
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear vinaysharma27

You need to make below corrections.

URI for your update or PUT request must be as same as highlighted below

It cannot be below for update opertation

HTTP Method method must be: PUT

URI must be: https://<API-endpoint-URL>/odata/v2/User('<userId>')

Updating a User:

You can use the same request to update a user if it already exists. The upsert operation allows you to both insert

and update users.

Update a User with PUT

You can use a PUT request to update a user. This HTTP request replaces all property values including links in the

existing entry with the values provided in the request payload. If a property is not present in the payload, it will be

restored to the default value. A successful PUT request returns status code 204 with no response body.

Operation: Update

HTTP Method: PUT

URI: https://<API-endpoint-URL>/odata/v2/User('<userId>')

Sample Payload:

{
 "__metadata":{
 "uri":"User('acraig')",
 "type":"SFOData.User"
 },
 "userId":"acraig",
 "status":"t",
 "password":"Abc123",
 "firstName":"Amy",
 "lastName":"Craig",
 "username":"acraig",
 "email":"amy.craig1@abc.com"
}

Alternatively

Updating a User with Merge

Unlike PUT, a merge operation does not erase any existing information of an entry. Instead, it performs an

incremental update only with the information provided in the request payload. Note that the merge operation is must be indicated in the X-HTTP-REQUEST request header of a POST request.

Operation: Merge

HTTP Method: POST

URI: https://<API-endpoint-URL>/odata/v2/User('<userId>')

Headers: X-HTTP-METHOD: MERGE

Sample Payload:

{
"email":"acraig@bestrun.com",
"mi":"Louise"
}
0 Kudos

Hi abdul.waheed2, I am clear on the Update Part using PUT. I am able to update and create records using PUT and POST.

My question is how I can achieve UPSERT request using a same/single endpoint?

Explanation: Using a single endpoint, I should be able to UPDATE (if the id/primary key is existing) and CREATE (if the id/primary key is not present).

I don't want to use 2 different endpoints for Updating and Creating a record.