cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Root Group Folder - Unsorted Issues

laurenfisher404
Participant
0 Kudos

We originally had a Root Group Folder. Somehow it got deleted. We've noticed that our Unsorted Folder has gotten large and when new developers come on to our project, a lot of stuff go into the Unsorted Folder. We were told that it could be due to the root group missing. 

Is there a way we can add the root group folder back or create one in the existing workarea? 

@DirkManuel @ShaneLipke 

laurenfisher404_0-1715113358987.png

View Entire Topic
DirkManuel
Active Contributor

You're sure Root was deleted? First go to Server Workarea > Check Out Objects and see if it is listed there. if it is, select it, and then Set as Root.

Check Unsorted really carefully in case it is in there (try searching on 'root'). If it is, then right-click on it and select Group Options > Set As Root.

Check the server trash and see if it is in there (probably, even if it was deleted, as people rarely empty the server trash). If it is, restore it (and find out who deleted it and punch them). You'll then likely have to get all your authors to go through the first step above, again.

If it absolutely has been deleted (and then deleted from the server trash as well) then sure, create a new Group directly under the Workarea, call it root, and get all your authors to check it out and set as root. I don't know what designates it as 'root' (so that Producer says "you have checked out the server root...". Shane may know.

But again, I'd be surprised if it has actually been permanently deleted.

Stuff will go into Unsorted if Authors do not select a 'permanent home' for it (i.e. somewhere under Root). If there is no common root they will likely be just working in local Groups, or Groups that are currently in Unsorted (because their ultimate parent Root is missing). You may need to do some 're-education there, once you re-establish Root. 

laurenfisher404
Participant
0 Kudos
Where is the server trash? I just see local. I have looked at all the other options and I created a new one. And agree, we have a new team coming in so education is needed.
DirkManuel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
In Manager.