cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning on QR Codes within SF Learning to Record Attendance, are there any positives and negatives?

MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos

My company is in the early investigative stages of evaluating turning on QR Codes in SuccessFactors Learning module, to Record Attendance. 

Can people who have done this share any insights, and things to think about, both good and bad on how it went and how your company currently uses it, and has it been successful, or are there pitfalls to think about before turning it on?

Does the instructor need an iPad to capture the studen'ts QR Code?  I know students can print out the QR Code and bring it with them to class, but assuming the student forget to do that, I imagine if the student has a mobile phone they can somehow pull up the QR Code on their mobile phones to show the Instructor, so the Instructor can scan and record attendance.

Thank you in advance and let me know if my thinking is correct on that as well.  

View Entire Topic
Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Ji @MichaelWright, hope you`re doing well

Let me throw some light about QR Codes (Enabling QR Codes to Record Attendance | SAP Help Portal).

Attendance is not more than the live event association between student and class.

Well, in all these years of SAP SuccessFactors LMS implementation the attendance is a particular process that change from Customer to Customer, The main question is why is so important to keep the attendance, or why is so important to know the number of attendees in one class for example.

Some Customer told me that in the moment for report generation is very important to have the registration calculated, and is possible only if you have it. Or in case of multiples slots, where the Instructor need to mapping the performance based on attendance. In the opposite of this thought some of them told me that is possible to register a Record Learning without it. If you`re using Financial (Learning Finance | SAP Help Portal) the NO SHOW is only trackable by the attendance for example, and in terms to refund is very important.

Ok, positive points:
- Process is more robust
- Compliance OK
- Report insights

Negative points:
- Is only possible to mark the attendance using the iPad
- Fraud (Employee using several QR codes)

*There is an extra step >> QR codes can mark attendance, but they don’t post completion automatically. (SAP HELP) - this can be a negative point

There is another ways to build applications to record the attendance and record learning also using webservices (Managing User Enrollment and Attendance Through Web Services | SAP Help Portal), that is in my point of view the best way to go.

So, the most important to check previously to implement it is the motivation involved, as I told a few paragraphs early.

I hope this helps
Regards
Daniel Romanin

* Please consider mark this answer as solution if your question was properly answered

MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos

@RomaninIf we also have Mobile SuccessFactors Learning enabled, can a student pull up the QR Code on their mobile phone/device to show the instructor who has the iPad so the Instructor can scan the QR Code to record Attendance for the Student?

Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Yes, the standard configuration send by email an invite with the QR Code to be used by the Student to present to Instructor to collect the attendance.
MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos

@RomaninWe now have QR Codes enabled in our SuccessFactors Learning UAT Test region. I enrolled myself into a Instructor Led class, and can now see the QR Check In Code attached to the Student enrollment email. Where on the SuccessFactors Learning mobile app would I as a student, find this email that has the QR Code Check In attachment?

Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello,
Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello, According the documentation >> https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_SUCCESSFACTORS_LEARNING/5fae31b1299d4033b665edabea7b9087/568588a2daa24... - Enrollment notifications for users who don’t have the SAP SuccessFactors on their mobile device (users can print the QR code with their enrollment notification)

It`s only received by email

MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos
@Romanin Yes I have them showing up for the student's enrollment email, and I understand the student can print them off and the instructor can scan them in. What I am asking, based on the documentation that you mention is that it says..."or on their mobile devices with the SAP SuccessFactors app." We are just also enabling mobile for SuccessFactors Learning, but my question is, assuming the student forgets to print off the QR code to show to the instructor, for the instructor to scan in, where would the student pull up the QR Code in their mobile app, to show the instructor, so the instructor can scan it? Thank you for your time, and for answering my various questions on this topic. It has helped me make tremendous progress.
Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hey Michael, no worries, I understood your question now... No, currently the only way to take the QR Code is by email... Not available, for now, directly into mobile SuccessFactors App...
MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos
@Romanin Ok thank you for the clarification.
MichaelWright
Participant
0 Kudos

@RomaninI know the Instructor in order to mark attendance for the student has to scan the student's QR Code, but my question is, for the Instructor's iPad do they just utilize the iPad's camera (or somehow utilize the SuccessFactors mobile app. or some other type of software) to accomplish this? When I just scan the QR Code from the Instructor's iPad utilizing the iPad's built in camera, it really doesn't do anything, so I am wondering if I am doing something incorrectly, or I need to download some other software on the Instructor's iPad.

Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,
Romanin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Michael, Sorry for delay - No, use only the app >> here more context >> https://me.sap.com/notes/2421628/E