Information Architecture Blog Posts
Do you want to share your thoughts and expertise with the community? Post a blog in the Information Architecture group to get the information exchange started.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NidhiPrashant
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

"Success isn't just about the outcomes we reach; it's about the heart we put into our efforts. Striving to be the best isn't the focus; it's pouring our best into all we do."

Greetings, fellow explorers of knowledge and innovation. Today, I'm excited to share a piece of my journey with you—a journey that has been shaped by personal aspirations, a dash of perseverance, and a lot of learning. After all, isn't every success story, a collection of moments that started as humble dreams?

I spoke at the TC UK conference on September 26th and 27th, nestled in the heart of Solihull, UK on the following topics:

• Feature Toggles Symbiosis between developers (code) and authors (content).
  • User Stories and Personas are nexus of Product Documentation.

For me, setting personal goals and committing to chase them has been a driving force. It's about that inner fire that pushes us forward, that keeps us going, even when challenges try to slow us down. As I embarked on my path towards technical conferences, I discovered that it's not just about showing up; it's about showing up prepared, determined, and ready to learn.

In the realm of international conferences, securing a spot is no simple feat—it requires consistent dedication. In my early attempts, I focused solely on the idea I wished to present. However, as failures greeted me, I realized it was time for a shift. I started immersing myself in the conference's essence by exploring their website, understanding their thematic soul, and aligning my ideas accordingly. This shift, my friends, was pure magic.

So, how do you craft a compelling conference abstract? Here's my recipe:

1. Chart Your Course: Begin by marking your desired conferences on a calendar, noting the Call for Proposal (CFP) submission dates. It's like planning a journey; you need a map to navigate.
  2. Dance with the Themes: Visit the conference website, not once, but at least five times. Dive deep into their focus topics — let them become the palette for your creative strokes.
  3. Harmonize with Voices: Tune into previous speakers' recordings, explore their abstracts. These whispers of insight can guide you in transforming your idea into an abstract that captivates.
  4. Paint your Canvas: The title and abstract are your foundation—craft them meticulously. Just as an artist carefully selects colors, weave your words with care.
  5. Leverage your Online Presence: Don't neglect your digital presence. Platforms like LinkedIn matter; they're like the jacket cover of your book. 

Speaker Selection

Most conferences unveil the Call for Proposals (CFP) months before the event. It's your cue to take the stage. Organizers share the themes, inviting speakers to submit titles and abstracts that encapsulate their topic's essence. As I learned, conference organizers seek:

• A Symphony of Topics: Uniqueness is great, but sometimes, you'll find yourself amidst similar themes. Yet, your perspective can make all the difference.
  • Echoes of Reputation: Your professional reputation matters. Even small knowledge sharing events and webinars can be steppingstones to larger stages.
  • Weaves of Expertise: Conferences yearn for a tapestry of diverse speakers who bring their unique threads of experience to the table. 

How to improve your chances of getting selected as a speaker

• Craft a Tale: Unveil a topic from a new angle—unique narratives leave lasting impressions.
  • Embrace the Past: Dive into previous speakers' abstracts and sessions; they are treasure troves of insights.
  • Cast a Wider Net: Sometimes, the final say is beyond your grasp. Hence, it is always better to apply to several well-suited conferences.  

Submitting papers isn't just about presenting; it's a pilgrimage to self-enrichment. With each submission, our domain knowledge expands as we keep dancing through key topics. It's a journey of collective growth, like a group hike, where everyone's strides matter.

My journey started small, with a national conference. But with each step, I nurtured my aspirations for international exposure. It is these steps that culminated in the remarkable milestone of TCUK 2023!

4 Comments
LauraCherry
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Inspirational and helpful, Nidhi! Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I think these are great tips.

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
0 Kudos

Great tips, thank you for sharing!

SanNo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Thanks Nidhi, Great tips, great blog post.

I've started a discussion to share experiences on presenting at conferences. If you have tips and tricks to share jump over to the discussion  to start the exchange.

antonellastella
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Great insights @NidhiPrashant, THANKS!