Information Architecture Discussions
Have a question? Join the conversation in the Information Architecture group! Participate in discussions about information architecture, or start your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever presented at a conference?

SanNo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

In our recent blog post From a Novice To A Conference Nomad @NidhiPrashant shared some really interesting tips and insights for presenting at conferences.

Have you ever presented at a conference? What was your experience? Do you have any thoughts about it? 

The IA Community Group team 

2 REPLIES 2

JimSpath
Active Contributor

> Have you ever presented at a conference?

Yes, though not for several years. I began SAP technical work prior to "Y2K" when their presence was growing dramatically and global expertise was thin. I volunteered as an SAP user group conference organizer, and presented at venues from ASUG to SAP TechEd to related technologies such as enterprise scheduling.

> What was your experience?

The preparation time, not to mention travel, to share a subject for under an hour is a large commitment, and the rewards are usually minor to oneself. If you have the heart to give, presenting is fulfilling. If you (or your organizational structure) prevent "paying it forward," then you may be disappointed.

NidhiPrashant
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences regarding conference presentations on our blog. Conferences these days provide a platform to stay abreast of industry trends and also offer invaluable networking opportunities.

You can look out for conferences within a localized radius that looks interesting. By focusing on events in and around your city you not only minimize travel-related hassles but also foster a sense of community within your professional network. This localized strategy is undoubtedly an efficient way to enhance collaboration and reduce time and money spent on travel.

I also find pairing up with like-minded peers to work on ideas is a great way to stay motivated. This not only contributes to personal growth but also facilitates a diverse exchange of perspectives and methodologies. It also reduces the time spent on working on ideas. 

I totally agree with you "If you have a heart to give, presenting is indeed fulfilling." 

I appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable insights with our readers. It's through these contributions that our community continues to grow and learn. If you have any additional thoughts or experiences to share, we welcome further engagement on our platform.