cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irrelevant notifications in the Inbox

iklovski
Active Contributor

Hello,

Couple of days ago I started to receive notifications in SAP Community Inbox for questions and blogs I don't have any settings for. Settings of the account were not changed. Could you please check what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,

Eli

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

artemkovalov
Employee
Employee

Hey, Community Members, I've got good news - you can adjust your Inbox preferences as before in your Communications settings. Below is a bit more context on what happened and what to expect in the future for Notifications and Subscriptions topics.

The scope of platforms and content covered by our central notification service is growing and our aim is to cover all key transactional notifications for your relationship with SAP.

We also plan to treat the primary SAP web platforms as a single experience so that your session will continue as you move between them, ensuring immediate access to notifications from the harmonized header. As part of this overarching strategic direction, if you choose to enable notification for a subscription it will also be delivered to your online SAP inbox though you can choose if you wish to also be notified via email.

Finally, as part of this longer-term experience harmonization work, we want you to be able to subscribe to content or topics across SAP to bring you more relevant content across a variety of platforms, building off the personalized content model long available in Community.

Unfortunately, we rolled out part of this change prematurely, without notice and with a major flow: the inability to subscribe to content without enabling notification. We will be rolling back this change ASAP and keep you informed before reimplementing the updated (enhanced to allow content subscription without notification) feature.

iklovski
Active Contributor

Great news, indeed. Thanks, Artem.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor

Yes it has already been reported here and the team are looking into it.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor

I fully agree with eli.klovski . I opted the following tags

and this is just because, I want to navigate straightaway to another tag from here. But with the current change, my Inbox is dumped with unwanted updates. If I don't follow any tags, then, what better option SCN are providing for me to navigate to other area ?

carpe_diem
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, vadim.kalinin

Following a tag is subscription action.
A person is interested in what is happening under that tag.
Then that person would like to be informed on the action happening under that tag.
Hence that person would receive notifications about it.

Controlling in what channel you receive that notification is the choice of said person.
Before the recent change you could essentially turn off receiving the notifications for the followed tag on all channels.
By doing this you are missing the activity happening under that tag, and that is the original reason for following it.

In order to not spam your email with excessive number of emails for the activity on a tag you have subscribed to, you can still turn that channel off.
But receiving those notifications in an in-app experience of the Inbox (in Profile) gives you an up-to-date view of what is happening in the tags you follow (or content that you follow) without going to the tag overview. You get a title and a preview / excerpt data, and can easily decide if that post if of interest to you or if you want to skip it.

We are also working on a new Inbox experience - Notification Center, in which you'll have advanced capabilities to filter the notifications you receive so it would be easier to manage them and focus first and foremost on what is of highest interest to you.

former_member186338
Active Contributor

Sorry, but you misunderstand the real user practice:

1. I have subscribed to the number of tags I am interested in.

2. I am going to My Activity Stream page to look on new content in the followed tags.

3. In the notifications I want to look on significant events related to me (answer, comments to the questions I am participating)

Now my notifications are spammed with all new questions in the followed tags!!! Notifications become useless!

Please stop it!

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Snarky comment (i'm just venting, no need for an answer): SAP just doing SAP-stuff. (-> thinking they know best, even if they don't)

Johan_H
Active Contributor

"Following a tag is subscription action.

A person is interested in what is happening under that tag.

Then that person would like to be informed on the action happening under that tag."

Which is what the Activity Stream is for. Works great, because users like me, who think the activity stream is useless, can easily ignore it, and everybody else can easily get to it whenever they want.

Either way, what I see is that the system, finally, mostly, worked for all users. According to you, this was because actually the system was not working as planned in the beginning. We know that the plan turned out to be flawed quite early on, and many changes were made for the better. Now that, 6 years later, SAP got around to fixing the system to work according to a plawed part of the plan, we are wondering why SAP invested time in fixing something that "acccidentally" didn't need fixing.

"We are also working on a new Inbox experience - Notification Center, in which you'll have advanced capabilities to filter the notifications you receive so it would be easier to manage them and focus first and foremost on what is of highest interest to you."

This is good news. Now can we please roll back that awfull "fix" untill this new system is up and running?

carpe_diem
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, eli.klovski ,

Please check the tags / content you are following here: following

For all tags / content you follow, when there's new content published you will receive an Inbox notification.
This is based on your subscription to (follow of) the tag / content. The recent change is that Inbox notification channel has become mandatory and is always on.

former_member186338
Active Contributor

It's a crazy idea to have mandatory notifications on the followed tags. PLEASE STOP IT!

iklovski
Active Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, but it is definitely not the one I expected. I presume, that many of the members here share my view. You basically leave no option but to choose to be flooded by the notifications we didn't ask to receive (and there was an option in the account, which stated this) and unfollowing the tags, hence losing quick access to them in the right panel menu. I doubt if some will choose the first option, and those who intend to go for the second, will stop being active in responding to the questions.

Kind regards,

Eli

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

I fully agree with you, eli.klovski !

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor

when there's new content published you will receive an Inbox notification

Before introducing this validation, had you created Vote for this, no member would have opted and said YES. When I don't want to see all the new notifications, why SCN should force me to go into my Inbox and make them "All Read".

SCN should reconsider this decision