cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot edit my own comments to questions

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor

I noticed that for my user there is no edit option for my own comments to non-closed questions.

It does not seem to matter when the question and the comment were created.

I can only modify the comment if there are no answers posted for it.

On the other hand, I can edit my own comments to answers:

And I can edit my comments in Coffee Corner discussions:

What is the idea behind not allowing users to modify direct comments on questions?

I suppose that this might be a side (d)effect of what was explained here: "If Question has at least one answer, OP without moderation permissions can't modify question (as answer may have no sense after question updates)."

Still, I wanted to modify a recently added comment, not the original post, and considering that most members use answers and comments on random principle, it does not make a lot of sense to prevent members from fixing typing mistakes for example. Come on, we could have at least 5 minute grace period for correcting links and typos!

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

I've noticed this shortcoming as well for quite a while. For comments on a question I think that it would be helpful to just be able to edit it just like other content where this is possible. But at the very least, there should be a suitably long grace period during which edits are allowed to fix typos, links, formatting and the like.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peykova

Have you tried in different either browser or desktop ?

Regards

SS

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I have. The outcome is the same in Firefox and in Google Chrome, in Windows7 64-bit and in Windows10, on my personal devices and on my work laptop.

kjyothiraditya
Participant
0 Kudos

Evwn I have noticed this feature. Thought it was due to mobile device. Will have to try from desktop though.

Jelena
Active Contributor

I've noticed the same issue. There must be an option to edit or delete (ideally, both) your own content, even if it's with some restrictions. People make mistakes.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As a stupid consequence, for just editing a typo in my question's comment 30 seconds after posting, I use the workaround to convert it into an answer, delete the answer, add the comment again... A "5 minutes grace period" is really a good idea. Or eventually, if Edit is an issue, it could be allowed to append new lines to an existing comment, preceded with a fixed "Edit {time}" line.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

I am moderator and so I have edit feature everywhere and I remember once the Edit was not visible, but a good ol' refresh browser magic resolved the problem, so it might have been just a temporary bug. I don't know if what I faced is the same what you faced, still I thought I bring this up, perhaps it helps someone.

Cheers,
Ervin

Hint: have a great International Gamers Day! 😉

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor

Unfortunately, what I described, is not related to browser refresh, I even tried on my work laptop to edit a comment that I created at home in a different browser, I was connected via a different network, and I always clear cookies and cache in exit.

Moderators just have super powers. 🙂

former_member186338
Active Contributor

"What is the idea behind not allowing users to modify direct comments on questions?" - no idea, just a bug to my mind!