cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I see revisions of my comments but cannot edit them?

VolkerBarth
Active Participant

Sorry if that has been already asked - I'm not sure I searched at the right places for that issue.

For each comment I have made, the "Actions" button shows several actions, namely "See revisions", "Delete" and "Convert to answer".

It misses the obvious "Edit" facility, and without that, why should I see revisions?

Or is that a matter of lacking reputation?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VolkerBarth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Apparently the issue has been solved in the meantime (don't know exactly when):

So thanks, SCN!

(I'll accept my own answer, as there is no official "It has been solved" answer here...)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

waldo
Contributor

Nobody can edit comments right now.

SAP puts "Under review" this IDEA "Edit Comments in Q&A", please vote UP.

Regards,
Oswald.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is the logical issue with comment editing: Only last comment in the chain has to be enabled for editing.

And the option to convert comment to the answer is also strange - can easily make comment chain unreadable.

I will support not comments editing but replacing comments/answers with replies!

waldo
Contributor

You will support not comments editing? Why?
What if I post a comment with spelling error? And I want to change it?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will support last reply editing!

Just imaging you have the following chain of comments:

Comment1: Some statement

Comment2 in reply to Comment1: Some incorrect statement.

Comment3 in reply to Comment2: Somebody explain that Comment2 is incorrect.

If it will be possible to edit Comment2 after Comment3 then the chain will be nonsense!

waldo
Contributor

Vadim, then use the system to check and permits edit comment within 10 minutes for example.

Like others communities. I can not believe it is under discussion whether to allow or not to edit comments.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but it's a standard forum functionality from the very old days! Only last reply in the chain is available for editing! Not within 10 minutes!

VolkerBarth
Active Participant

@Vadim: With your reasoning, deleting comments (that have further comments) were not to be allowed at all, but it is AFAIK (at least that action is presented).

Like Osvaldo, I feel the need to be able to fix spelling mistakes and the like within comments. And I'm sure nobody here wants to add just another comment simply to make corrections/clarifications to the previous comment...

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deleting comments in the middle of the comments chain is also nonsense!

The logic of the discussion in any forum is simple: only last reply can be edited or deleted. Only moderator can delete some middle reply with all replies under it.

VolkerBarth
Active Participant

> The logic of the discussion in any forum is simple: [...]

Obviously that logic is to be discussed.:)

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator

Hi Volker, Thank you for posting your question. You should be able to edit your own comments. Was your experience from a comment you aded to a blog post or a question? Can you include the link to a post with one of your comments that you cannot edit, so we can investigate further. Thank you!

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The topic answer mentioned - "Convert to answer" - meaning comments to the question/answer. And there is no way to edit comments in this case.

VolkerBarth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'm gonna write a comment right here and see if I can edit that...

VolkerBarth
Active Participant

...and here we are: I cannot edit the above comment, as can be seen from the snapshot:

The same has happend on all comments I have made on questions and answers so far. (I have not yet commented on blogs.) Here's another sample with both a comment on my question and Steffi's answer:

Why does a question tagged with " SQL | UI Web Dynpro ABAP" show up in community "SAP SQL Anywhere"?

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This has been experience since the beta... in Q&A. Edit in: and the silly workaround as well: convert Q&A comment to an Answer, edit, convert an Answer back to comment, sometimes leading to/permitting to create duplicate comments.

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

This has been experience since the beta... in Q&A. Edit in: and the silly workaround as well: convert Q&A comment to an Answer, edit, convert an Answer back to comment, sometimes leading to/permitting to create duplicate comments.

kaus19d
Active Contributor

Hi caroleigh.deneen,

Hopefully regarding this Q&A post, you have got another thing redirecting to this Q&A. Please Check the below, it might be a typical one,

https://answers.sap.com/questions/42993/qa-bugged-show-more-comments-after-converting-answ.html

I also experienced the same in this Q&A. When clicked on Show more comments, all everything gone except your this Answer. The most funny thing is that when refreshed this page, then again all the comments in your reply shows back but again if we click on the Show more comments Button, then again the same disappearing happens.Think you might want to consult your SCN-Html_Page-Admin guys for this one.

Thanks,

Kaushik

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator

Thanks Voker, this is not the intended behavior and we are investigating.

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

Great, thank you 🙂 This is the first time I notice someone even acknowledging something might be amiss with this functionality...

I have "produced" another behavior related to "Show more comments" at this Q&A, which looks like a low prio bug someone should look at sometime - described here.

VolkerBarth
Active Participant

Yes, I noticed this unexpected behaviour as well.

As to the workaround with "editing a comment" via "converting to answer and back" – I'm somewhat hesitating to do so as others have reported that this might mess up the comment...

waldo
Contributor

@Caroleigh, your response makes it clear that SAP does not have a specific list of bugs or ideas that are "under review." How is it possible to believe that we can edit comments when there is an idea that is under review by SAP, according to the indications on the site of IDEAS?

The truth this disappoints me even more than I already am.

If you are "inside" SAP and are not organized, it is for us a waste of time to respond to other people who are lost here.

Greetings.

PS, do not take this personally, it's just a constructive comment.

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

It's gonna be alright, sooner or later, one way (as a bugfix) or the other (a new feature) - the common IT sense will prevail in the end 🙂

TBH, some "dark suspicions" (about how the whole "thing" was tested and organized) did creep up in my mind as well, but then I told to myself: I just don't (and can't possibly) know and shouldn't even try to speculate, and the only thing I should really care about is the ability to edit comments.

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator

Hi Osvaldo, Your feedback helps us improve:) Editing comments is intended, the setting will be reinstated. There is more discussion to be had regarding the ability to edit after it's been replied to, which may have been the source of the confusion. Moshe can comment on the status of the idea in IdeaPlace.

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

But if talking about a work-around here for the user, then Mr. volkerbarth. what you can do here is, as you can also see from the above last post screen-shot, you are getting an option to convert it to Answer & then, you will get an Edit option for your Answer. After you have submitted your answer, then again you can convert that back to Comment to this Q&A Thread as whoever answer like Caroleigh's Answer or to your original Post or to mine Answer wherever you want to put/adjust/move your comment. And speaking of which, this is what i also have been doing since, to me this is, the till now available option for us since we are not Moderators or SCN Admins.

Thanks,

Kaushik

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the below snapshot taken out in here now, with the comments totally invisible,

Thanks,

Kaushik