SAP Influencers Directory
Looking to find an expert in your area with the knowledge you need? Connect with them here by searching for SAP professionals and members of our SAP Influencer programs: SAP Champions and SAP Mentors!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

More about Jim in SAP Community

Jim Spath circular.png

Jim has had 2 decades long careers, one as an environmental engineer and one as an SAP technologist.

People_pictogram.png
Jim, tell us about yourself.
Who are you, what do you like to do, what is important to you?

My math & science journey started in post-Sputnik America, where I benefited in schooling opportunities including a card-punch-fed IBM computer in high school, university during the initial pdp-11/UNIX et al explosions. Early on I adopted a database administrator persona, beginning with dBase II/III/IV, ramping up to SQL with Oracle version 5, and eventually surfing into the SAP ecosystem on the far side of Y2K. 

hack, hike, write, peace, repeat.

Desktop_pictogram.png
What is your area of expertise?
What does a usual day at work look like for you?

In the corporate world in a prior life, I maintained SAP and other application database stacks, envisioning process flows, scheduling batches, tuning performance via SQL and utility belts. For a time I was a Unicode subject matter expert, as well as enterprise scheduling, network monitoring and problem solving.

After 9-5 career switched off, I kept my fingers in small device (Pis) with local data acquisition, data filtering, environmental monitoring and mapping through Postgresql and PostGIS among other freeware tools

In Arts & Science I design wood work projects, create scale drawings, deploy a power tool suite and create yard-scale art/utilities.

Work? Not anymore, for pay.
inspiration_pictogram.png
What inspired you to become an SAP Champion in SAP Community?

Ramping up SAP systems from nothing to business-supporting behemoths, I turned to ASUG for help, found being a volunteer the two-way street it should be, and was later recruited to the SAP Mentor family. After several productive years in that role, I am now in the Champions league.

bullet_list_pictogram.png
How do you learn in SAP Community?
What is your daily/weekly routine in SAP Community?

I connect on Mastodon (via hashtags and people) where I formerly used the T app. With the Community revamp, I am sorting through the new spaces, tuning my notification reviews and preparing a new set of ABAP Detective posts.

circles_pictogram.png
What is your suggestion to get the most out of SAP Community?

What is your suggestion to get the most out of SAP Community?

1. Keep your "contacts" list updated (in the new phonebooks)
  2. Subscribe to notifications in your interest, but cull if too noisy
  3. "Be seeing you"

Arrow_pictogramm_new.pngJim's question to you:
Is there an "elder" a person you respect or learn from?
If so, who is that for you?
If not, what is your "conceptual continuity"?

Labels in this area