SAP Learning Blog Posts
Get updates on SAP learning journeys and share your own experiences by contributing a blog post to the SAP Learning group.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josh_bentley
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Day 13.png

Welcome to SAP’s 24 Days of SAP Community.  For those who know me and how I like to present technical topics, you will know that I love a good analogy.

a-nal-o-gy

noun

a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

So when discussing something like SAP’s Business Technology Platform I will often use my technical background and skills I learned in pre-sales to do a cooking show demo.  The reason for the cooking show is to compress a demo for time by pre-making some of the steps into a mostly finished demo and also to ensure you have a working final product (a baked dish) at the end of the demo.  

Shakshuka is a Northern African/Middle Eastern dish consisting of tomatoes, peppers, onions and spices.  A few other items can be changed and woven into the dish.  For today’s purposes I wanted to show how I intermingle things together in the way SAP BTP has lots of components that when put together can produce an amazing finished dish (or application).

I first ate Shakshuka in 2013 on a trip to Israel.  I found it in a few restaurants since, but none quite as good as that first time.  Then I searched the internet and found a recipe for Shakshuka with feta, I think it was on the New York Times cooking page from author Melissa Clark, you can probably search the web for it, but below I will include the recipe and instructions in the video. 

I hope you enjoy all the days of SAP’s 24 Days of Community on this page and please let me know how you like this dish or have any questions via a comment below!

Let's started on what I show in my video, here is a loose comparison of what I will walk you through from the analogies:

Recipe analogies

Technical items

Shakshuka

BTP

Cast iron pan (12”)

Hyper Scaler

Spoon

Developer

Potholder

Rights Management, Security

Oven, knife

Other infrastructure

Onion and pepper and garlic and tomatoes

Runtime (Kyma in my case)

Bowls and spoon

Front end web browser, end user

Spices cumin paprika cayenne, salt and pepper

Integrations, API’s

Eggs

Containers running Sap Fiori apps

Cilantro and hot sauce

UI5 front end “dark mode theme”

If you want to cook along with me, grab these ingredients and watch the video above:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used Spanish)

1 large onion or 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced

1 large red bell pepper, remove stem and seeds and slice same as onion

3 garlic cloves, sliced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon paprika (not smoked, regular or sweet)

⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne (red pepper)

1 (28-ounce) can whole san Marzano plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, keeping liquid from can as well

kosher salt (as needed, at least 1.5 teaspoons)

black pepper (as needed, at least 1 teaspoon)

5 ounces plain crumbled feta cheese

6 large eggs

Chopped cilantro and hot sauce for garnish (both optional)

Bread for dipping (like pita or naan)

Instructions

Step 1 Heat oil in a large skillet (cast iron or anything that can go into oven later, over medium-low.

Step 2 Chop onion and bell pepper and add to pan. Add pinch salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes.

Step 3 While peppers cooking slice garlic thin and chop tomatoes into chunks.

Step 4. Add garlic at end of 20 minutes for about 2 additional minutes or until fragrant.

Step 5 Add cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute until all mixed into the onion/pepper/garlic mixture.

Step 6 heat oven to 375 Fahrenheit

Step 7 Pour in tomatoes and season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; taste and see if more seasoning needed. Be aware of spice from cayenne when tasting. Simmer on low to medium heat, it should be bubbling but not boiling until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. (If waiting to serve later you can stop here and even keep mixture a day or two before continuing to step 8, just reheat on stovetop and continue. Spices will actually be stronger if you do this).

Step 8 Stir in crumbled feta.

Step 9 Crack eggs into small bowl and then place into a small depression (divot) in tomatoes mixture but not touching bottom of pan. Repeat until all 6 eggs in pan, . season eggs with salt and pepper lightly. (as I mention in video, you can add meat, tofu, anything pre-cooked you want at this step instead of eggs)

Step 10 Transfer pan to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 8 to 10 minutes.

Optional: Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce. Serve with pita/naan bread if you like.

Thanks and enjoy!

1 Comment
Lydie
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Love your analogy !! I guess there's a lot for development and cooking since we call "Cookbooks" the templates to implement some environments 😉