SAP Women in Tech Blog Posts
Join the SAP Women in Tech group to share your experiences and connect with the community. Read and write blog posts to learn from and inspire colleagues and peers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anne_Lenhardt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I had never thought of myself as a STEM woman. I started dancing when I was three years old. A few years later, I learned my first instrument and a foreign language. I soon discovered my passion for painting, theater, and handicrafts. How my parents' car worked, why planes flew, plants grew, and my favorite computer game ran smoothly – none of that interested me, at least not in detail. 

But today, as a grown up with 30+ years of life experience, I sometimes wonder whether this was simply my personality or whether I was instead just swimming with the masses of young girls who were interested in traditionally supposed "female topics". Or worse, believing that science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) were just for boys. Persuaded by gender stereotypes? Less encouraged because I thought I had limited choices in my education and career development?  

Only 35% of STEM students are women  

No, of course things don’t look so bleak in my personal case – on the contrary, I like to believe. But overall, the situation of women and girls in STEM disciplines is still very much in imbalance: According to the United Nations, women only occupy a small minority of top-level positions despite an improvement in recent years. Only 22 women have been awarded a Nobel prize in a scientific discipline to date, says the UNESCO. In cutting edge fields such as artificial intelligence, only one in five professionals (22%) is a woman. And women still account for only 28% of engineering graduates and 40% of graduates in computer science and informatics. Female researchers tend to have shorter, less well-paid careers. Their work is underrepresented in high-profile journals and they are often passed over for promotion. And only 35% of all students in STEM related fields of study are women.  

Although science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields are widely regarded as critical to national economies, so far, most countries, no matter their level of development, have not achieved gender equality. I think that’s shocking. And it comes as no surprise really that the General Assembly of the United Nations on December 22 in 2015 decided to establish an annual International Day to recognize the critical role women and girls play in science and technology, through Resolution A/RES/70/212. All of us should seize the opportunity to promote full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls. And that’s what I’m doing right now.   

I switched to STEM and so can you!  

I became a STEM girl! About 1,5 years ago, I completely switched gears career-wise, quit a well-paid and well-regarded job to start anew in the technology industry with SAP. What seemed ill-conceived to the point of crazy to some, proved to be one of the most challenging and exciting opportunities. I work in communications and learning, so every day is filled with new discoveries and technical deep dives. It feels like you’re at the heart of technological innovations, close to the action and the people, shaken from the earthquake that is currently hitting the tech world. I mean – artificial intelligence!  

Thankfully, women and girls have made tremendous progress towards increasing their participation in STEM fields. One of the most inspiring stories I came across recently is the one from Sandra Solís, who refused to be demotivated by a failed exam and turned to SAP’s digital skills initiative. Let’s take this day and Sandra’s example as a reminder that they need to play a critical role and that their participation should be strengthened.  

Start your own STEM story and talk about it

I haven’t put aside my love for languages, theatre, painting, and dancing. Instead, I have enriched my life with a new dimension, the topic of technology. And you can do it too. If you’re looking for a place to start, head over to SAP Learning site, where I completed the Discover SAP Business Technology Platform course and while you're at it, learn more about SAP’s digital skills initiative which supports underrepresented groups of people who want to break into tech. If you want to learn more on how IT leaders can bridge the gender gap, or get more women in IT jobs, I highly recommend reading these two articles from my fellow SAP colleague Nicole Helmer. 

Let’s use February 11 and raise awareness for women and girls in STEM. I know you’re out there – Share your tips and tricks for starting a career in tech in the comments too!

4 Comments
StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

@Anne_Lenhardt thank you for sharing authentically with such inspiration. Similar to you I spent my early days taking dance, was a cheerleader in high school, as well as had a passion for cooking and sewing. When I looked at colleges, I was torn between becoming a home economics teacher or studying business logistics. Both appealed to me, but I had to make a decision. After high school I enrolled at a university that was renowned for its business logistics program. I stumbled across technology in one of my first jobs out of college where I was a supply chain manager using SAP MM and IBM Cognos. Little did I know that my education in logistics would take me into the wonderful world of technology. After learning how to use the tools in a business setting, I decided to take a job at a technology company that was called SAP. Here I am with 20+ years of technology experience under my belt.

Now that my children are deciding what they would like to pursue in their education it has dawned on me how technology is already part of any decision they decide. For example, after high school my daughter would like to become a nurse. She observes in a doctor's office already how technology is mainstream to help medical professionals in every aspect of their job. 

My personal message to community members is that we all can probably agree -- we somehow got into technology during our career, but it wasn't necessarily something that we set out to do. Technology is everywhere and no matter your passion technology will be an important part of your learning journey.

#womeninstem #careerintechnology #learntogether #technologyeverywhere

Sandra_Solis
Participant

Thanks for such a great history !! 

I never thought that my story was good enough to tell or even motivate anyone 🙈 and when I saw you shared my story, and all the support you give me, It made me realize that we all have something to contribute and that we are all important . Now I realized we, women, are very important in this STEM area. Let's continue cheering and supporting more women !!

P.S. If you want to read the great blog that @Anne_Lenhardt wrote about me, here it is: From a Failed Exam to a Successful Career: Sandra'... - SAP Community I hope it inspires someone😊🤞🤞.

mmcisme1
Active Contributor

Ha!  STEM.   If you haven't already read my story.  Here it is.

My high school consular was an interesting man.   He said by the time I graduated college all the programs would have been written.   Discourage I tried my hand at a travel Agent.  Hint - if you are shy by nature this is a horrible choice.

Next was into a bank.   At the time I was taking college courses for accounting.   But loving the computer "programming" side more than accounting.  And let me tell you it was confusing to try to balance in a bank and in a class.  Everything is backward.

So I changed to fast food manager, and stayed with accounting.   While teaching English horse back riding.  I was also doing some training.  My Mom and Dad saw how hard I struggled, and back then there weren't any great loans or scholarships.   They said if I went full time to college and kept good grades they would pay.  

So my moral of the story  -  YES, you can go back to college after being away.   And yes, feel free to try out as many different opportunities as you can.  STEM might just be for you.  You never know.

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I like that @mmcisme1 and that's what I am telling girls when presenting at "Girls Day" - find your passion! You do not need to stick to what you have originally chosen! So your story is a good example, Michelle!

Also, there are many options when you work in STEM. Look at me: I work for SAP for almost 24 years, and I didn't study any technical topic (you can learn more about me in this post/video). However, I would consider myself as an expert in many SAP systems, and of course in SAP Community - but as a user! With that knowledge, I can even train and onboard others, so that is why I consider myself as a Women in Technology. 😊

Top kudoed authors