SAP Women in Tech Discussions
Join the conversation in the SAP Women in Tech group or start your own discussion to share your thoughts, connect with the community, and build your network.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About International Men's Day

IreneCano
Associate
Associate

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to share my thoughts, but I feel the need to discuss the matter with other women and hear different opinions.

I recently received an email about the celebration of International Men’s Day at SAP, and my initial reaction was to roll my eyes. On the surface, the idea of an International Men’s Day seemed irrelevant to me, given that men are celebrated every day within the patriarchy. What does the most privileged sector of society even need to protest about? After contemplating a bit longer I realised that it is indeed a great excuse for men to engage with gender issues. I am perfectly aware thar the patriarchy also affects men in various ways, and feminism is already working to help them escape from their assigned gender roles and biases against their mental health and general well-being.

However, by labeling it "International Men’s Day", it appears to be equated to International Women’s Day, a day for a historically silenced group to speak up about their stolen rights. The male gender, despite facing its own set of challenges, has never been hystrorically nor systematically oppressed. Therefore, International Men’s Day should not be considered equivalent to International Women’s Day in any way ( which, by the way, it is NOT a day of celebration but protest, but that's another topic...). Therefore, it seems to me that International Men’s Day might risk defeating the purpose of International Women’s Day. Perhaps the terminology is what doesn't sit right with me; it might be more appropriate to refer to a Men’s Mental Health Day or something along those lines.

What does everyone think? I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

PS: I highly encourage men to engage in gender politics don't get me wrong!

Kind regards,

Irene

0 REPLIES 0