Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mauriciolauffer
Contributor
Quick blog just to share something I think it's AWESOME and haven’t seen people using yet.

You may have used Draw.io (now called Diagrams.net) to create architecture/solution diagrams, flowcharts, mockups, UML, etc. The good news is that a good soul has created a Draw.io library with the SAP BTP icons! It's the first result on Google when you search for "drawio sap btp icons" (why I haven't googled it before??!).

SAP Business Technology Platform Solution Diagrams & Icons - Custom draw.io library

https://github.com/rsletta/sap_btp_icons_drawio_lib

Using it is simple

Start a new diagram in Draw.io, then click on File > Open Library from > GitHub...

Step 1

Authorize Draw.io to access your GitHub account.

Step 2

Step 3

A dialog with your repos will open.

Step 4

Click on Enter Value… you can input any public GitHub repo. Enter org/repo name: rsletta/sap_btp_icons_drawio_lib

Step 5

Select the branch: main

Step 6

Navigate to the libs folder and select a file. Each file is a library with multiple icons.

Step 7

Repeat the operation for all files in libs folder. You should see the icons on the left panel.

Step 8

Use the SAP BTP icons to build your diagram.

SAP BTP Solution Diagram

If you don't want to import the library via GitHub integration, the GitHub repo describes other ways to do it. Check them out.

PS: there's this blog from 2018, Be Visual! Use Official Icons and Samples for SAP Business Technology Platform Solution Diagrams, sharing a .ppt file with icons and design guidelines for SAP BTP solution diagrams. That was great, but for whatever reason new icons haven’t been updated and the wiki page has been removed. Which is a shame for I loved that. From now on, I’ll be using Draw.io with rsletta/sap_btp_icons_drawio_lib custom libraries.
17 Comments
nils-lutz
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Mauricio,

maybe rsletta can tell us how he created the lib or move it to a community repo so we could keep it up to date with latest icons (if SAP minds to provide the raw material to us :))

Br

Nils
gregorw
Active Contributor
Thank you mauriciolauffer for sharing. I hope that bertram.ganz and carsten.boennen work on a SAP provided location that can be used in Draw.io. The https://github.com/SAP-samples organization would be a good place for this.
rsletta
Contributor
Hi btc.nils.lutz and mauriciolauffer

It's nice to see that others get value from the repo. I've been a bit out of the loop since leaving the professional SAP space in march, and didn't notice that they have pulled the wiki page. There is a comment in the blog post from carsten.boennen, linking to the resources (https://blogs.sap.com/2018/01/05/be-visual-use-official-icons-and-samples-for-sap-cloud-platform-solution-diagrams/#comment-635548). It seems they haven't been updatesd since march 2021 though.

The process of creating the libraries is straight forward and manuel, I'm afraid. Pull in the SVGs of the icons to draw.io, and export them as a library. The result is the exported XMLs you find in the repo.

best regards

Ronnie
Ahmedkhan29789
Participant
0 Kudos

I am not getting any options to open the library with GIT, I have installed the latest version, Can you suggest some solution?

geert-janklaps
Active Contributor
Hi,

This one is mentioned in the GIT repo, for the locally installed version of the tool you should download the ZIP file and extract its contents. Using the "Open Library" just open the XML files one by one.

Cheers,

Geert-Jan
richardfahey
Explorer
0 Kudos
This is a great addition as draw.io is an easy and great tool to use. Is there a way we can get the other icons e.g. the SAP logos and icons for SAP BW / HANA also available. Are they somewhere to add this for SAP BW/HANA architectural diagrams?
AlexDong
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
hi Mauricio,

Nice blog! And BTW, draw.io can be accessed via Microsoft Visual Studio Code either.

Best regards,

Alex
mauriciolauffer
Contributor
0 Kudos
It's an open source library, one could add content to it or create its own custom library with other SAP icons. It'd be nice to have icons there, right? Perhaps the community starts contributing to the project   😃
mauriciolauffer
Contributor
rsletta

I've automated the process to get all SAP BTP icons and update a custom library.

A PR's been create: Auto create new library with all SAP BTP Services Icons
mauriciolauffer
Contributor
0 Kudos
Yes, there's! One can find it here: Draw.io VS Code Integration
rsletta
Contributor
0 Kudos
Cool, I have a look at it as soon as I have time. Thank you for contributing.👍
former_member458563
Discoverer
THANK YOU .... I really was not aware of this. Makes live much easier
ryegrost8
0 Kudos

To add it as lib on VSCode extension, you can add the following at extension settings:

"hediet.vscode-drawio.customLibraries": [
{
"url": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mauriciolauffer/sap_btp_icons_drawio_lib/main/libs/SAP_BTP_Service_Icons_latest.xml",
"libName": "SAP",
"entryId": "SAP"
}
]

Tnks mauriciolauffer .

yogananda
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
mauriciolauffer

New BTP Icons and new style is been released.
mauriciolauffer
Contributor

Thanks for sharing, but the library has an auto-update script. Every time a new icon is published, the script updates the library, no need for manual work here.

I'm already using them 😊

ShaunOosthuizen
Participant
0 Kudos
Legend. Thanks for your contribution mauriciolauffer. I had to do a fresh install of Drawio desktop today and this made it very easy.
David_Oexner
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mauricio - Thank you for this. I have been using this library. I imported the latest xml files from your repository into my draw.io but the icons for Datasphere is missing. Please advise what is wrong

Labels in this area